Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Random thoughts...
    - Cary Knoop, the new WrestleMania (or Marvel) character The Statitician- kills with numbers.

- Helmets don't work all the time, they only work in crashes, they're a prophylactic, like a vaccine against head/brain damage.

- An orchestra and a theater company have streamed here, don't know how they work the distancing.

- Trump said he talked to all the sports league commissioners (Vince,too) and want people at games ASAP, hopefully not too soon.
    But I'm wondering if a 1or 2 seat gap would count as distancing, and maybe increased air exchange in HVAC?

- Again, Barry Green, Wrestling Fan, who knew?
    Is it from life in Vegas, Barry?
    And how are the in laws doing?
    Started to mention this yesterday after watching the news. Apparently Trumb wants(thinks there should be) butts-in-seats by August. Goodell apparently said something to the effect of yeah, we do too, but it's not up to us.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Although spacing like that would make flying tolerable again. It's gotten so bad that I avoid it whenever possible; I actually rode my motorcycle out to Vegas and back rather than fly. So I wonder how this crowd averse populace is going to react to the sardine-packed airlines going forward...
    It generally has to be well over a seven hour trip before I'll fly, now. Had a shoot come up in FL about a month and a half ago. They said it looks like flights are cheapest to Orlando right now. I said, I'm driving, it's only seven hours. I like traveling on my own schedule. Way more flexibility and more comfort. Race got rained out that afternoon and because I was doing corporate type stuff, I didn't have to stay. I jumped in my truck and was home by about 11:30 that night. If I had flown, I would have had to waste half of the next day traveling home.

3. Collapse Details
    Agreed exactly. Although 7 hours isn't my tipping point, I take it further. On the way out to Vegas (1,500 miles) I qualified for two Iron Butt Association runs, 1,000+ miles in 24 hours and 1,500 miles in 36 hours. And on the way back I qualified again for another 1,500 miles in 36 hours.

Normally I don't like to do a run like that, I like to space it out and see the country, but that wasn't a choice this time.

There were years I was flying 100,000+ miles, I held Gold status on three separate airlines simultaneously even. First Class upgrades were fairly common, and flying was fine. But without that perk, it's just miserable and I avoid it whenever possible.

Remember when flying was a special occasion, and people used to actually dress up for the plane? Of course, back in those days 90% of the passengers were smoking too. That was a different world. It's amazing how quickly we adapt and can't even imagine going back to how things were.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    And nature hopes this latest pesticide will work to rid the planet of it's biggest parasite.

[edit] It looks like it's too soon for gallows humor according to the votes. Like when comedians were testing jokes after 9/11.
    The downvotes were for the grammatical error.

its | it's

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    Another person who warns against basing extreme policy on unreliable data:

I didn't have the patience to watch this. But I read an article recently which quoted an epidemiologist who basically said that we need to ABSOLUTELY AVOID the worst case scenarios. So, even though there's a lot of uncertainty and even though the best case and average scenarios might not be that bad, the worst case scenario is so bad that we have to render it impossible.

But maybe once we get more data, if the range of possible outcomes is not so bleak then we can relax?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    More voices critical to the dogmatic government slides:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...aths-estimate/

Another piece of information, a military study shows that those who vaccinated against the flu show an increased infection rate of 36% of the coronavirus.
    Note that coronavirus is a family of viruses, the research is not specific to SAR-Cov-2 (it conceivably did not exist at the time of the study), but SAR-Cov-2 is a coronavirus as well!

https://www.disabledveterans.org/202...onavirus-risk/

The actual study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64410X19313647

virus-flu.jpg
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 04-05-2020 at 03:26 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post

Another piece of information, a military study shows that those who vaccinated against the flu show an increased infection rate of 36% of the coronavirus.
    Note that coronavirus is a family of viruses, the research is not specific to SAR-Cov-2 (it conceivably did not exist at the time of the study), but SAR-Cov-2 is a coronavirus as well!

http://archive.md/IHgKY

The actual study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...64410X19313647
    An archived version in case someone decides this information is "inconvenient": https://archive.md/uZrUX#selection-2945.2-2945.160
    That 36% increased risk is misinterpreting the studies findings of an odds ratio of 1.36. Relative risk and odds ratio are not interchangeable. In addition, the paper states that a similar study found no correlation between the flu vaccine and the coronavirus. That being said, this novel coronavirus is lethal primarily due to our immune system not reacting effectively to the disease. In general, the disease is not overwhelming the immune system and causing fatal tissue decay. Instead, the immune system is overwhelming the body and causing fatal tissue decay. I am sure that a person's history of infections and vaccinations could be correlated with how their body reacts to the infection. It also makes me think that a treatment to prevent the cytokine storm and inflammation should be possible.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    It also makes me think that a treatment to prevent the cytokine storm and inflammation should be possible.
    Anecdotal information from China indicated that antivirals can have the effect of a sharp and often lethal bounce-back after the patient is presumed cured.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    And this is one thing that concerns me. People aren't "complying" as it is. One of the local governments around here(adjacent county with very high diagnosed infection rate) had to go to the parks and lock all of the fences and tie all the nets on the basketball rims up, because people weren't keeping their distance from one another and carrying on like nothing bad is going on. People are stupid and when young think the rules don't apply to them and they're invincible. I went to pick-up my lunch yesterday from my friends deli. I called my order in so that I could just walk in, grab it and go. There was an older man paying for his in front of me and a couple obviously waiting on their order: a guy, his wife and their BABY. WTH? Seriously? Why in the hell was his wife and BABY in there with him? Why wouldn't they wait in the car? Minimize possible exposure... After I left, I text my friend about it. He replied that that was his brother and his brothers wife and new baby. And it gets better, he said his brothers wife at one point was letting their baby crawl around on the floor of the restaurant. Our future...
    That's troubling from the standpoint of flattening the curve. But promising from the standpoint of returning to normal post-pandemic.

10. Collapse Details
    The fatality rate in Germany is 1.4% and they're doing lots and lots of tests and they are intervening early with hospitalization and intubation for patients: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/w...eath-rate.html

Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast