Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    lol...my last post about it. (It was just a little break from all of the depressing stuff you guys write about.)
    No worries- I was just teasing you!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Wow this turned into a WrestleMania thread fast lol
    Barry got a ahold of the remote, briefly changed channels And maybe CovidMania needs a quick switch of channels anyway...
    But who knew- Barry Green, Wrestling Fan?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    My worry is that a fear of crowds and disease is being ingrained into the public. At this point, in the US the coronavirus is expected to kill the same number of people in the first wave as a bad season of the flu. Unless something changes, the public is going to expect that social distancing needs to be enacted any time an epidemic is reported. People are always looking for ways to feel safer. As an example, when I was a kid nobody wore helmets. Also, as we figure out better ways of keeping people alive for longer, people are going to become more susceptible to any type of novel disease.
    I'm a little more optimistic about a return to normalcy for a couple reasons:

1. China and Hong Kong recovered their movie theater attendance after SARS even though they were hit pretty bad.

2. We know when an epidemic is happening. Helmets are useful every time you ride, but social distancing is only useful during an epidemic. MAYBE we'll see regular mask-wearing in the West, but I'm not so sure. If anything, I bet people will just keep washing their hands thorougly.

3. I think there is pent-up demand for group activity - I think people would have to be deeply traumatized before they WANT to avoid it.

4. Supposedly the 18-29 year old cohort is changing very little about their habits of going out for entertainment, etc, if it's allowed. And they are the future.

4. Collapse Details
    Random thoughts...
    - Cary Knoop, the new WrestleMania (or Marvel) character The Statitician- kills with numbers.

- Helmets don't work all the time, they only work in crashes, they're a prophylactic, like a vaccine against head/brain damage.

- An orchestra and a theater company have streamed here, don't know how they work the distancing.

- Trump said he talked to all the sports league commissioners (Vince,too) and want people at games ASAP, hopefully not too soon.
    But I'm wondering if a 1or 2 seat gap would count as distancing, and maybe increased air exchange in HVAC?

- Again, Barry Green, Wrestling Fan, who knew?
    Is it from life in Vegas, Barry?
    And how are the in laws doing?
    Last edited by groveChuck; 04-05-2020 at 10:25 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    I'll probably get banned for this, but given there are so many overtly political posts in this thread I'll risk it; I hate, absolutely hate, wrestling. There, I said it.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    Random thoughts...
    - Helmets don't work all the time, they only work in crashes, they're a prophylactic, like a vaccine against head/brain damage.

- Trump said he talked to all the sports league commissioners (Vince,too) and want people at games ASAP, hopefully not too soon.
    But I'm wondering if a 1or 2 seat gap would count as distancing, and maybe increased air exchange in HVAC?
    Right but people don't wear helmets while walking. (And some don't wear helmets while biking.) Wearing a helmet is to social distancing as riding a bike is to living in an epidemic. So maybe people will start voluntarily social distancing as soon as we hear of an epidemic anywhere in the world? I know I will be more attuned and alert next time... actually that was part of the reason the WHO didn't want to call covid19 SARS-2 (which it is) - because they didn't want to panic people who had lived thru SARS.

At the White House press briefings, no reporters sit in the 3 seats in front of another reporter.

God I hope they find some drugs that work soon...

7. The post by Paul F is hidden due to low votes. Click the arrow to the right to expand it.

8. Collapse Details
    Another person who warns against basing extreme policy on unreliable data:

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by groveChuck View Post
    I was wondering about that too. I haven't done the math but it seems to me that to implement 6 feet of distance you'd reduce stadium capacity by something like 90%, so I wonder if it would be even feasible.

Although spacing like that would make flying tolerable again. It's gotten so bad that I avoid it whenever possible; I actually rode my motorcycle out to Vegas and back rather than fly. So I wonder how this crowd averse populace is going to react to the sardine-packed airlines going forward...

Again, Barry Green, Wrestling Fan, who knew?
    I used to watch it some 30 years ago. Quarantine has got me looking around, and so I signed up for the WWE Network a month or so ago and have been impressed with the sheer volume of work and the high quality of some of it [/quote]

Is it from life in Vegas, Barry?
    So, that's a thing... When I first moved to a small-ish town (Wilmington, NC) I looked around for what there was, and found a Christmas Flotilla (or whatever they called it). A big shindig, seemed like one of the major events, and there were warnings about how difficult it would be to park and how early you have to get there and whatnot. So I did, and got a front row seat. And waited.

And eventually, about 10 private boats floated by. They were decorated with strands of Christmas lights.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I mean, seriously? Because where I come from, a hotel will put an actual VOLCANO in their parking lot just to attract potential customers!

So, yes, I guess I am more accustomed to over the top spectacles than most folks...

And how are the in laws doing?
    Shockingly well! Thanks for asking!

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I
    3. I think there is pent-up demand for group activity - I think people would have to be deeply traumatized before they WANT to avoid it.

4. Supposedly the 18-29 year old cohort is changing very little about their habits of going out for entertainment, etc, if it's allowed. And they are the future.
    And this is one thing that concerns me. People aren't "complying" as it is. One of the local governments around here(adjacent county with very high diagnosed infection rate) had to go to the parks and lock all of the fences and tie all the nets on the basketball rims up, because people weren't keeping their distance from one another and carrying on like nothing bad is going on. People are stupid and when young think the rules don't apply to them and they're invincible. I went to pick-up my lunch yesterday from my friends deli. I called my order in so that I could just walk in, grab it and go. There was an older man paying for his in front of me and a couple obviously waiting on their order: a guy, his wife and their BABY. WTH? Seriously? Why in the hell was his wife and BABY in there with him? Why wouldn't they wait in the car? Minimize possible exposure... After I left, I text my friend about it. He replied that that was his brother and his brothers wife and new baby. And it gets better, he said his brothers wife at one point was letting their baby crawl around on the floor of the restaurant. Our future...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast