Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Do we take what these scientists present at least as evidence to be examined, or do we rely on our "gut" that it's all just "blaming"? Are pandemics accelerating due to the causes I mentioned, or is it all invented by those "blaming" epidemiologists and environmentalists. From the paper I linked to:

"If one looks at the history of emerging or re-emerging infectious disease pandemics globally, on average they have appeared every decade but now, worryingly, the frequency between pandemics seems to be disturbingly shorter as evident with Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2003, Influenza A H1N5 (bird flu) in 2007, H1N1 (swine flu) in 2009, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) in 2012 and Ebola in 2014.9 Overpopulation and poverty are the primary contributing factors that have brought about this change and are strongly linked with global warming, environmental degradation, habitat destruction, and increased human/host/reservoir interaction.10"

You can read the rest of the paper outlining the exact mechanism by which these pandemics are increasing in frequency - perhaps it's better to be prepared/shrug/.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Two sheriff’s officers, 38 and 39, die of coronavirus. They’re among the youngest to die in Florida.

Two South Florida law enforcement officers died Saturday from the coronavirus, both men in their 30s who provided proof that the disease can claim anyone.

Bennett called off sick from work on March 23 and checked into a hospital the next day. He tested positive for COVID-19 on March 27 and died before midnight Friday.

Symptoms to dead in 4 days.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...xpm-story.html

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    When coronavirus started to hit the news, I wasn't sure I was going to take a big hit. I regularly do livestreaming and educational type work. I also figured that some retail companies might put more resources into social media marketing and online video. And then reality hit and everything got shut down. I am not concerned that the economy isn't going to be healthy enough to support much of any video work at all. I also think the movie industry might completely crater if the appearance of coronavirus infection is enough to cancel a production and fear of attending movie theaters continues.

I also work in the arts. As bad as i think video might get hit, I think the performing arts is dead as a business.
    This prediction is too grim for me to accept. Also, I think that as long as demand rebounds, the industries will survive. If movie theaters go bust, new ones will rise in their ashes as long as people want to go to the theater again after we have a vaccine. The question is if the current players survive...

I think that countries that managed the covid outbreak well and didn't have to shut down completely will thrive. I learned in college film history courses that Hollywood was a small player in global film production before WWI. But then it kept making movies while Europe destroyed itself and after the war there was a huge demand for new movies and Hollywood's market share grew. WWII cemented Hollywood's dominance.

I've been reading about the impact of SARS on movie theaters in Hong Kong and China, and it seems like demand was only temporarily suppressed:

"Some fear that audiences will return nervously and slowly after the all-clear is given, feeling itís not worth the health risk to sit in close quarters. Others predict a rapid rebound, with demand pent up and people eager to meet friends and family and restart group activities ó similar to what happened after the 2003 SARS crisis...

Meanwhile, the streaming giants, whose production expenditure now exceeds that of traditional broadcasters, are comparatively positioned for a windfall. Though likely unable to make new shows for months, they are in the interim reaping the benefits of supplying films, games and online advertising to tens of millions of citizens who are going stir crazy in quarantine or in cities under lockdown."

https://variety.com/2020/film/featur...ce-1203501046/

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    I would not say that.
    This event is a one in a hundred-year event, the arts have always been ready to inspire or sooth the soul, I hope this time it will be the same!
    As much as I want that to be true, I don't think it will be.

5. Collapse Details
    The business has certainly changed; heck, everything has changed.

If anyone cares, one of the biggest spectacles in live production, WrestleMania, has been altered dramatically this year. Normally it's held live in an arena or football stadium in front of about 80,000 fans; this year it's being presented in front of no crowd. It's ... very different. But the important thing is -- they did it. Well, they're doing it, today was day 1, it'll also have a second half tomorrow. They adapted, they adjusted, and ... well, nobody knew what to expect going in, and it's definitely different, but it's sort of working. And they're getting rave reviews for the last match of the night, the #BoneyardMatch, which was nothing more than a kinda cheesy short action/horror film presented in a cinematic style, something about on par with what we'd have had in one of our DVXFests of old, although with a bigger budget and more well-known characters.

In a world where basically all televised sporting events are pretty much shut down, these folks went forward, and they made something. They applied creativity to overcome adversity. Tiime will tell if the ratings are positive, if the audience accepts it or not, etc. Early chatter was that it was expected to be a disaster waiting to happen and they should have just cancelled the whole thing instead of turning out some lame pale imitation of a WrestleMania. But they didn't cancel. The show must go on, and it went on. And truth be told, there were times when it was kind of awful, and there were times when it was very entertaining.

I especially find it interesting that when everyone is saying "live streaming is the way forward", the WWE chose to do the opposite. Instead of live-streaming a live event (the way every one of their prior, what, 400 or so pay-per-view events have always been done), they instead pre-taped it, edited it, and even turned one match into a low-budget motion picture. And it kind of worked. Hats off to them for innovating and putting on something when the rest of the world is basically shut down.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It's been entertaining seeing the local news shows do this with field reporters and weather done from their homes. Their doing remarkably well.
    The main local station I watch has been doing this for a week or two and I have a feeling that it's just to "prove a point", because most studios have plenty of space to safely accommodate and properly distance one to two anchors, weather person and sports anchor(this station has a very spacious studio). Tonight they had an anchor in the studio, the second anchor in the field with a typical skyline shot, the sports anchor was in the parking lot with the station in the back ground(first time I've seen them do this) and their weather guy was "skyping" or "Facetiming" from his house(did it yesterday too, I believe) with a typical consumer hardwired cellphone single earpiece/mic dangling out of his ear. Unless they are withholding info(like he has CV) or he has a legitimate concern about contracting CV if he came in to work(which is perfectly acceptable), it was bush-league(mostly because of the stupid earbud/mic hanging out of his ear).

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post

If anyone cares, one of the biggest spectacles in live production, WrestleMania, has been altered dramatically this year. Normally it's held live in an arena or football stadium in front of about 80,000 fans; this year it's being presented in front of no crowd. It's ... very different. But the important thing is -- they did it. Well, they're doing it, today was day 1, it'll also have a second half tomorrow. They adapted, they adjusted, and ... well, nobody knew what to expect going in, and it's definitely different, but it's sort of working. And they're getting rave reviews for the last match of the night, the #BoneyardMatch, which was nothing more than a kinda cheesy short action/horror film presented in a cinematic style, something about on par with what we'd have had in one of our DVXFests of old, although with a bigger budget and more well-known characters.

In a world where basically all televised sporting events are pretty much shut down, these folks went forward, and they made something. They applied creativity to overcome adversity. Tiime will tell if the ratings are positive, if the audience accepts it or not, etc. Early chatter was that it was expected to be a disaster waiting to happen and they should have just cancelled the whole thing instead of turning out some lame pale imitation of a WrestleMania. But they didn't cancel. The show must go on, and it went on. And truth be told, there were times when it was kind of awful, and there were times when it was very entertaining.

I especially find it interesting that when everyone is saying "live streaming is the way forward", the WWE chose to do the opposite. Instead of live-streaming a live event (the way every one of their prior, what, 400 or so pay-per-view events have always been done), they instead pre-taped it, edited it, and even turned one match into a low-budget motion picture. And it kind of worked. Hats off to them for innovating and putting on something when the rest of the world is basically shut down.
    I have a working relationship with WWE and have been a part of some of these taped long-form skits before and I actually told one of my guys last week(who worked on one with me before), that that is what they should do. I guess great minds think alike... ; ) Vince is from NC originally, too... And yes, they generally come off somewhat cheesy, but the fans LOVE them.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post

I watched it (but I watch all of the shows and PPVs) and besides the last match with Taker/AJ (which actually has been done before many times like this in woods and abandon houses/yards, etc), all of the matches were very similar to the matches that have been going on at the PC the past several weeks. As you said it the other week, just absolutely no life...even with various stipulations, the bumps and storytelling are not the same without the reactions, the noise...the energy.

Most wrestling fans have already accepted what they are doing, but many others still think it should have been called off. Hopefully all of those people working were tested. Obviously the wrestlers are sweating and breathing on each other, but even the interviewees/ers/announcers get close during promos/announcing.

Vince had a double-whammy this year with the XFL also getting shut down early (amazing potential with that league by the way in its new format 20-years-later).

___

On a side note, mostly everyone on this weekend's card has already had a "WrestleMania moment" - which is one of if not the main goal of being a wrestler that everyone works towards - but one of the guys (Drew McIntyre) has had a heck of a career after being fired from WWE 10 years ago while mostly being a jobber towards the end of that run (the lowest status you can have), and coming back and skyrocketing his way to the top of main event status with a new look and attitude that the people got behind, and he's expected to win the WWE Championship from Brock Lesnar for the first time tomorrow night (tonight), but it will be a bitter sweet moment.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I have a working relationship with WWE and have been a part of some of these taped long-form skits before and I actually told one of my guys last week(who worked on one with me before), that that is what they should do. I guess great minds think alike... ; ) Vince is from NC originally, too... And yes, they generally come off somewhat cheesy, but the fans LOVE them.
    In the end, it all comes down to entertainment. I know a lot of people look down on the whole pro wrestling thing, but the way I see it is: they have actors/performers, they have a script, and they have cameras. How is it, really, any different from any other filmed entertainment? Other than that they do all their own stunts and it's usually live... and it's huge, huge business. It's mind-boggling how much content they produce.

Much of it is throwaway, much of it stretches the suspension of disbelief too far, but sometimes, every once in a while, it can be riveting. Specifically the recent Orton/Edge moments, that's been some well-scripted and very well performed stuff. And they produce a huge, huge, huge amount of content, between the 8 hours every week on TV, and then the dozen or so 3-6 hour pay-per-views, plus all the documentaries, behind-the-scenes, and everything else they do. I wonder how many hours of content they actually produce per year? It's got to be over a thousand finished hours of content every year.

Some of that content is -- um, well, below standard, sure. But some is actually really rather good, I saw a doc on R*Truth that really held my attention; surprisingly so. I thought it would all be throwaway content, but it sure seemed to me that the folks who made that hour really cared about the story they were telling.

10. Collapse Details
    A mind-boggling amount of content; probably more than any company in the world. There is a video about anything and everything, plus all of the libraries they have acquired.

Barry, if you liked that last match from night 1, find this one below on the network (if you're interested):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juoTKFs7IQ4

Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast