Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It's impossible not to get contaminated as I'm sure you've all gone through the exercise of noting what you touch when you go shopping. Just the fact that you picked up a food item or touched the screen at the self check out at the store means you touched something that someone else touched or your consider your parcels and mail. Then your car handle and steering wheel get contaminated as well as your wallet and key and shopping bags and ARGHHH! It's gets everywhere. Even taking a wet wipe with me and wiping everything down in the car and my hands, invariably things get contaminated.

My experience tells me that not touching the face is very effective. For years in the winter I made a habit of not touching my face when out of the house and then washing my hands. I never got sick.
    Some tips for shopping: Put on a glove in the non-dominating hand, that's you "outside only" hand.

When shopping at the supermarket:
    - Use the glove hand to push the card and touch any things you do not bring home.
    - Get your food items with the non-glove hand.
    - Use self-checkout, scan your food items with your non-glove hand
    - Use Google Pay or Apple Pay for a touchless checkout
    - Dispose of your glove when exiting the supermarket.
    - Wipe them clean before you take them inside your home, or when items are non-perishable you can leave them in the sun for awhile (UV rays kill the virus)

For getting gas:
    - Use the glove-hand to hold the gas handle (and use the touchpad for payment if it is not enabled for touch-free payment)

When you get parcels:
    - Leave them out, preferably in the sun, the virus can be on carton for up to 24 hours.

If you can't get hand sanitizer you can make your own: take 3 to 4 parts of 90-99% ethanol and one part of aloe vera gel and blend it. It will smell like acetone but it evaporates quickly.

Also, care for your spiritual health, what that means is a personal conviction, whether you are a die-hard atheist or a deeply religious person or somewhere in-between, you should find ways to cope with this disaster.
    Last edited by Cary Knoop; 03-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It's impossible not to get contaminated as I'm sure you've all gone through the exercise of noting what you touch when you go shopping. Just the fact that you picked up a food item or touched the screen at the self check out at the store means you touched something that someone else touched or your consider your parcels and mail. Then your car handle and steering wheel get contaminated as well as your wallet and key and shopping bags and ARGHHH! It's gets everywhere. Even taking a wet wipe with me and wiping everything down in the car and my hands, invariably things get contaminated.

My experience tells me that not touching the face is very effective. For years in the winter I made a habit of not touching my face when out of the house and then washing my hands. I never got sick.
    Mechanics latex gloves work on touch screens and smartphones. Put them on when you leave the car. Do all your shopping, discard them safely before you get back in your car. Put on another pair at home if you feel the need to wipe down the shopping before handling it and then safely discard them.
    A box of 50 pairs is 10 in the UK

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    From a doctor in Louisiana, his detailed, grim description of the illness he's seeing--

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...young-patients
    Anyone who still thinks this is overblown, or who still thinks "letting it run its course" is a good idea, should read this article.

We each must make up our own minds as to how we will deal with this. Exposing yourself to the virus may not be a good idea, but exposing yourself to information usually is. Assuming this is a true account, it mirrors what's been happening in Italy, but this is right here in the USA and it's eye-opening.
    Last edited by Barry_Green; 03-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Anyone who still thinks this is overblown, or who still thinks "letting it run its course" is a good idea, should read this article.

We each must make up our own minds as to how we will deal with this. Exposing yourself to the virus may not be a good idea, but exposing yourself to information usually is. Assuming this is a true account, it mirrors what's been happening in Italy, but this is right here in the USA and it's eye-opening.
    +1. And just to add - those who think sarcasm and a lack of empathy during a pandemic are funny or cute - fit the definition of a sociopath / pyschopath.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    +1. And just to add - those who think sarcasm and a lack of empathy during a pandemic are funny or cute - fit the definition of a sociopath / pyschopath.
    +1

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    I just found out that a friend of mine was hospitalized with COVID-19. She's in her 40s and was otherwise in perfect health with no pre-existing conditions or health issues. And she doesn't know where she got it, either. It was purely transmitted by the community, not because she traveled to China or anywhere else.

Don't let anyone tell you that this virus only affects the elderly or people with compromised immune systems. Things are going to get really bad really fast. And if it hasn't hit your community yet, it seems like it's now a matter of when not if. Stay in your home, stay away from others and stay safe. A few weeks of being smart can save lives.
    I know a 15-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 here in NYC.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

7. Collapse Details
    763 positives in Florida; 11 dead in the state proper, +1 passed away in California.

My FB friend update, "It's her, her two cats and a book of 1,000 crossword puzzles"

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I know a 15-year old boy who tested positive for COVID-19 here in NYC.
    Good luck to him! I think my wife, myself and our 4-year old daughter got it about 2 weeks ago. But we couldn't get a test to confirm. (I had my flu shot though.) I cancelled all my work and put us all on bedrest. My daughter and I are pretty much completely recovered. My wife still has a bit of a sore throat, is possibly recovering more slowly because she's pregnant or insomniac or both.

Take care of yourselves! Maximize your immune system! Minimize drug use, maximize sleep, and stay hydrated!

9. Collapse Details
    The truth is we cannot effectively hide - you will probably get it at some point. You will most likely be fine, but try to stay healthy.

10. Collapse Details
    One thing I'd add: IF indeed we had COVID19, the symptoms were less severe for us than the last time we had the flu. But the recovery took 3x+ as long. (Our fevers lasted 3-4 days but the headache/sore throat/fatigue tapered off for another 10+ days.)
    Last edited by ahalpert; 03-21-2020 at 08:29 PM.

Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast