Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Easy, guys. If you're going to disagree on a forum, especially about a controversial subject, stick to evidence. Do not, under any circumstances, talk about the person you're disagreeing with. Do not answer sarcastically either. I love sarcasm, but I try not to use it online. It often doesn't translate, and I'm using it to kid people. If you use it in a serious disagreement, it will die in a fire.

Samurai would commit seppuku rather than face shame. I've noticed that ordinary people, while not stabbing themselves in the gut, will do all sorts of acrobatics to avoid shame.

If you contradict someone in a way that dumps shame on them, they will have a hard time accepting your argument, because it would embarrass them.

Furthermore, if they disagree with you, they will have a hard time just silently ignoring you. Now they must answer, to defend themselves. Now it's no longer about whether the coronavirus does x, y, and z, but whether Bob is stupid, and Bob doesn't want to be seen as stupid.

Bob will likely hurl some kind of response in kind back to you, and now you find yourself going through the same feelings Bob just went through. And so on, on and on.

Then a moderator lands upon the thread and sees that people are fighting.

LOCKED.
    What posts is this referring to? Thought we were getting on swimmingly, in which case, best not to stir pots unless we go back to talking about food.

And just for the record whenever someone says “no sarcasm” I assume they’re being sarcastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBztjzDr0fM
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 03-19-2020 at 11:07 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    It hasn't got there yet, but I thought I saw bubbles boiling. And maybe I have PTSD.

As for you, Eric, you are special and you get an extra 1,000 sarcasm-buffer credits ;)

(See what I did there? I broke both of my rules. But it's slightly mitigated by the winky face.)

3. Collapse Details
    In 9 months will there be a different surge at hospitals?
    And in another 13 years they will be known as "The Quaranteens"...
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    There is some interesting numbers from the Italian health department.

99% of the deaths are from people with one or more existing illnesses/conditions
    48% had 3 or more illnesses/conditions
    26% had 2 or more
    25% had 1 or more
    1% had none

More than 75% had high blood pressure
    35% had diabetes
    33% heart disease

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Yes, that is interesting. But in today's obese culture, 33% of the US has high blood pressure, and 33% has diabetes or prediabetes

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I tend to think I have a brain, and I use it a lot, and I disagree with your conclusions. I used to think as you do. I no longer do. And I strongly suspect that a week from now, you will have changed your thinking quite a bit too.

I have been around the block a few times. I have watched this story develop. And I have steadfastly avoided the "opinion commentators" on the news, instead focusing on those who, to the best of our knowledge, are the best experts in the world on situations like this.

They do not agree with your assertion that 99% of us will, at worst, have a cold.

Italy is the 8th largest economy in the world, with a thoroughly modern health care system. Reading first-hand reports from doctors and health workers there provides a rather sobering contrast to the grasshoppers currently fiddling away on the beaches for Spring Break and in the packed bars on St. Patrick's day.
    Lets not forget that Italy has the second best health care system on the planet.. america is in the 30s i believe... so what does that say for how things will be here when it peaks... not good i suspect.
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    FWIW, the spring breakers are inadvertently correct. Exposure to the UV rays - aka sunlight - higher temperatures and alcohol make all flu group viruses weaker to the point of disappearing almost entirely during the summers.
    Apparently does not apply in any way to this current situation. Southern hemisphere and equatorial countries are hot as hell and infections continue to increase in those places.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, that is interesting. But in today's obese culture, 33% of the US has high blood pressure, and 33% has diabetes or prediabetes
    Most of that percentage of Diabetes is adults who are overweight with type 2... Type 2 can be fixed given changed in health and diet... Type 1 is with you for life regardless of what you do and is usually surfacing at no fault of the persons early in childhood... by adulthood it can do as much as cause people to loose legs, arms and their vision among other things. My fiance aside from his pre hypertension and type 1, is in fairly good health... hes thin as a rail and eats fairly healthy so, im hoping he makes it through it.
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Most here probably don't follow WWE, but the company continues to run production on their weekly shows in their performance center with no audience (that's where they train upcoming potential talent and have small side shows), and this is a clip of a promo between two top stars (I started the link at the best part).

If you didn't know, you'd think they were doing some kind of rehearsal here but this was live on television:

https://youtu.be/-ruCcewe7IM?t=108
    It definitely sucks the life out of the show. WrestleMania, the biggest event of the year, is going to be held in the same place under the same conditions, and will be a two-day event. I don't know how that's going to go over, but it is such a cultural shift it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

On the other hand, one of the most entertaining matches I have ever seen was the first empty-arena match they ever broadcast, it was a halftime Super Bowl match, a title match between The Rock and Mankind, about 20 years ago. If you subscribe to the WWE Network, I highly recommend looking that match up, it was absurd, preposterous, and quite fun. So who knows, maybe they will find a way to make WrestleMania work without an audience, with a suitable injection of creativity.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    And in another 13 years they will be known as "The Quaranteens"...
    Genius!

Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast