Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Don't know if this has been posted, yet, but several hours ago it came out that an NBC sound man has died, because of exposure to covid-19. One of my friends said that he was his audio guy back in the 90's. Sad. And a day or two ago, we found out that a reporter we used to work with was diagnosed with CV from her exposure covering the early nursing home outbreak in Seattle.
    Damn, that sucks. Just doing your job and running into the potentially fatal side of your career- and it's not a war, a riot, a hurricane or a gun.
    An invisible killer.

Respect to those covering the pandemic up close, and to the nurses and doctors and scientists fighting it on the front lines.
    Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    What we think we know about this virus changes daily. For example, the young crowd latched onto the idea that the virus only affects old people, and they started calling it "Boomer Remover".

According to the CDC, 40% of the cases in the US serious enough to require hospitalization are of those 18-54. And in the hotspot of cases, NY, 54% of their cases are for those under age 50.

3. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    [...]
    According to the CDC, 40% of the cases in the US serious enough to require hospitalization are of those 18-54. And in the hotspot of cases, NY, 54% of their cases are for those under age 50.
    Hmm. Might that not be the case that since the older folks know they're vulnerable, they take precautions, but the youngsters think they're invulnerable, so they crowd beaches, parties, and other mass gatherings and so get the virus in larger numbers. Or maybe not. One thing though, whatever your age is - just because you don't die, doesn't mean you might not sustain permanent damage - from what I understand, some young people survive, but have permanent lung damage and live with only a 20% or 30% lung capacity and get winded just walking, and there is no cure for that. Getting COPD and lung fibrosis, both incurable conditions means a vastly inferior quality of life and a shorter lifespan to boot - you might wish you were dead. Bottom line, best to be aware of the risks, regardless of age. YMMV.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    NYPost reports majority of NYC coronavirus hospitalizations are ages 18-49. And men are hit harder than women. I imagine the youth are more likely to get infected because they're more social. And alcohol depresses your immune system. Smoking raises your risk of pneumonia.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/20/majori...mpression=true
    Last edited by ahalpert; 03-20-2020 at 11:10 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    "It's extremely upsetting because most students only get one spring break"
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    the young crowd latched onto the idea that the virus only affects old people, and they started calling it "Boomer Remover"
    I think I'm going to be sick, and it's not the virus.

6. Collapse Details
    Things are about to get fricking bleak. Not only are hospitals about to run out of resources to treat patients (which means they will have to start letting people die), but we've almost run out of protective gear for the doctors. This means more doctors will get infected and die. Or they'll just strike. Either way, the death toll will skyrocket.

7. Collapse Details
    I just found out that a friend of mine was hospitalized with COVID-19. She's in her 40s and was otherwise in perfect health with no pre-existing conditions or health issues. And she doesn't know where she got it, either. It was purely transmitted by the community, not because she traveled to China or anywhere else.

Don't let anyone tell you that this virus only affects the elderly or people with compromised immune systems. Things are going to get really bad really fast. And if it hasn't hit your community yet, it seems like it's now a matter of when not if. Stay in your home, stay away from others and stay safe. A few weeks of being smart can save lives.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    I just found out that a friend of mine was hospitalized with COVID-19. She's in her 40s and was otherwise in perfect health with no pre-existing conditions or health issues. And she doesn't know where she got it, either. It was purely transmitted by the community, not because she traveled to China or anywhere else.
    I am sorry to hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Don't let anyone tell you that this virus only affects the elderly or people with compromised immune systems. Things are going to get really bad really fast. And if it hasn't hit your community yet, it seems like it's now a matter of when not if. Stay in your home, stay away from others and stay safe. A few weeks of being smart can save lives.
    Thank you for reiterating this.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    It's impossible not to get contaminated as I'm sure you've all gone through the exercise of noting what you touch when you go shopping. Just the fact that you picked up a food item or touched the screen at the self check out at the store means you touched something that someone else touched or your consider your parcels and mail. Then your car handle and steering wheel get contaminated as well as your wallet and key and shopping bags and ARGHHH! It's gets everywhere. Even taking a wet wipe with me and wiping everything down in the car and my hands, invariably things get contaminated.

My experience tells me that not touching the face is very effective. For years in the winter I made a habit of not touching my face when out of the house and then washing my hands. I never got sick.

10. Collapse Details
    From a doctor in Louisiana, his detailed, grim description of the illness he's seeing--

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...young-patients
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast