Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    We are really getting to know some of our fellow forum members in these trying times...........!
    Cary, I know how you feel about people relating the virus to the older generation. You mentioned it 2348848921 times already.

Focus...

If you think you're really getting to know your fellow members in these trying times then you'd know I never once linked the two together. Actually, if you really knew me as a person you'd know how I'm a firm believer that anyone can die at anytime from anything.

In general, I think any weak immune system will have a problem. Ages 1-100.

___

My comment was a little facetious about a lot of younger people wanting to party and having a different mindset.

Supposedly NYC's biggest complaints to the Governor’s office are that bars are closed. Anecdotal, but straight from the Governor's mouth.

EDIT: Look up the video on YouTube if interested.
    Last edited by NorBro; 03-18-2020 at 05:12 PM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    I think NorBro's comment is being 'taken wrong'. I don't believe he was being callous, he was just trying to convey the different mindsets/priorities of late teens/20-somethings vs. full on adults who know that bad things can and really do happen.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Definitely just a comment about the difference in brain development/understanding/expectations. (And thank you.)

On the other hand, I also don't want to cluster every young person into that generalization because there are many that are devastated by this and that they can't go back to school, or finish school for that matter, and want to do anything they can to help and protect, and don't care about their spring break.

P.S. I don't know anymore what's considered politics, so obviously feel free to delete that part of the post above if it is, but just wanted to share how ridiculous it is that most complaining in NYC is about bars being closed.
    Last edited by NorBro; 03-18-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Deleted the link.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Interesting times. Starting thurs and especially friday onward the people have been mass shopping here. They aren't violent and frantic but the shelves on many aisles are empty. People are trying to stockpile. The stores relocated most of their staff to grocery in order to stock as fast as possible but the people buy most of it about as fast as it can be stocked.
    The people's reaction to a problem can create a much bigger problem than the original problem. As I witnessed this I considered how quickly massive panic, violence, theft, raiding and murder would erupt if a more potent virus or threat happened.

Factories can increase production on many goods in relatively short time, but if the people continue to hoard at the current (or increased) level for a long period of time you can't quickly grow more food. I remembered several years ago when the govt suggested people buy plastic sheeting and duct tape due to the "threat" and how the people mass shopped it. Factories ran extra shifts and soon the stores had loads of such coming in. Once the "threat" was over it took several years to sell through the bulk stock.

I spoke with a walmart store mgr I know and he shared that each day sales were up over $150k above normal. Sales were over $2.4M for the week which is significant. I wonder how people will fare at the end of the month and the coming weeks after spending more than they usually do during the first half of the month.

Production work is slowing down for me. Got one inquiry for a wedding yesterday (but it may be a fraud).

----
    1. What do you guys think will occur in the gear world? Usually around this time of year people are anxiously looking to buy new gear but now many of us are considering selling our assets in order to raise money to survive. Will manufacturers slash prices in order to try to boost some sales?
    I ordered a workstation a month and a half ago and it arrives in a few days. Had I known this was going to happen I would have held off.

2. We all know the production market went largely down the toilet about 10 years ago when gear got cheap and loads of kids living at home started doing video. Could this present problem end up helping the video production field once it's over as the players will have thinned out? Or will it make it even worse as people are desperately trying to recover and willing to work for even less, and clients wanting the cheapest work as possible?
    ----

Just thought I'd prompt some thought sharing since we are all dealing with this to some degree whether we want to or not.

This too shall pass and in the meantime there are some things to be learned.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I've heard a lot of small towns all over the USA were stocking up on ammo...
    Those are just the amateurs who didn't stock up as well as learn how to reload and stock up on components during the great ammo shortage of 2013.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    1. New gear announcements will be delayed. You don't want to make a product announcement when no one is listening or has any money. For sure, prices in the used market will be slashed as there will be more sellers than buyers. For new equipment, it depends on the vendor's financial position. If they have to generate cash, then they will slash prices to move product. Others will hold on to keep prices propped up, but may be dragged down by their competitors. The big 3 are not doing well anyway and can be propped up by the larger corporation. But then, why prop up a division that's been on the decline when the other divisions will be suffering as well? If this lasts a long time, it could be the death knell for some of the camera makers.

7. Collapse Details
    1. If products aren't moving, prices will lower...in any and all industries. (It's too early to tell what will happen.)

2. Again, too early to tell - but what something like this does is really put things into perspective. The way people view life and do business will change.

Unprecedented times in the modern digital information age. There were obviously many other pandemics and catastrophes, but they were not experienced in the same way when information was unable to be shared instantly worldwide.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    I've done well financially lately, but I still avoid eating out whenever I can as grocery store food is cheaper and often better.
    Would you mind sharing some ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I need all the inspiration I can get.

I like food and dislike cooking, an expensive combination. I don't have kids, and my wife has weird tastes, so we often make separate things. So I'm often cooking for one, and it often seems like it's not much more to just run and grab something. But eating out adds up. I get tired of the same thing every day, so it's hard to do the really efficient things like make a week's worth of lasagne. On the other hand, I have simple tastes, so simple meals are fine, as long as I can do a variety.
    Last edited by combatentropy; 03-18-2020 at 05:20 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Here are my favorites…

For breakfast, I often make a quiche on the weekend and have a slice each morning. Lasts about a week, and I can put whatever I want in it to change things up.

For lunch, I’ll have a sandwich on homemade bread, or I might make a batch of soup. (Just made a big recipe of split-pea soup.)

At dinner time, it depends on what the missus wants. It might be pasta with grilled chicken and homemade sauce. Or it could be stuffed pork chops.

I really like the Kitchen Stories app (their sun-dried tomato chicken recipe is great), and the Tasty app. Lots of good stuff there.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    1. If products aren't moving, prices will lower...in any and all industries. (It's too early to tell what will happen.) .
    Not too early on oil prices. (they rebounded slightly today ... just a technical play)

As to gear, it depends on the class. The high end is purchased for long time ownership/use. The consumer tier is getting destroyed by the smartphones anyway, so that and Covid-19 will be used to write off a lot of inventory. And a lot of errors.

Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast