Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Before unions, one textile mill posted a sign limiting toilet paper usage to two squares per wipe. A worker hung a corn cob in the toilet with a sign that said use this cob or lose your job.

2. Collapse Details
    Why are people stockpiling toilet paper and water? Probably because we've always been told that in a long term emergency, the currency that will always be accepted is stuff like water, tp, booze, chocolate, etc.

Is it practical? Probably not. Is it relevant to the current crisis? Definitely not. But scared people react, and it appears that everyone has heard that you can't find tp anywhere, so they stock up whenever they see it, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Wait until people figure out that the banks don't actually keep any cash on hand. A run on the bank isn't pretty, and it's basically the same type of situation as the current toilet paper situation.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Imamacuser View Post
    I had only heard about people cleaning out the shelves of TP and hand sanatizer, so I went to the store to do my normal weekly shopping and couldn't get many of the things I normally buy. The meat was cleared out with the exception of expensive steaks and turkeys, the ice cream was almost entirely cleared out, and of course the rum was gone.
    Attachment 138680
    Yeah, all the meats, eggs, and breads were cleaned out at the local Walmart. Oddly enough the fresh veggies and fruits went untouched. Says something about the typical southern diet.

4. Collapse Details
    I noticed that yesterday at the grocery. Plenty of healthy food but the white bread, frozen french fries, etc. were cleaned out. Picked up some nice avocados and mangoes.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    Why are people stockpiling toilet paper and water? Probably because we've always been told that in a long term emergency, the currency that will always be accepted is stuff like water, tp, booze, chocolate, etc.

Is it practical? Probably not. Is it relevant to the current crisis? Definitely not. But scared people react, and it appears that everyone has heard that you can't find tp anywhere, so they stock up whenever they see it, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Wait until people figure out that the banks don't actually keep any cash on hand. A run on the bank isn't pretty, and it's basically the same type of situation as the current toilet paper situation.
    Yep, we're a largely cashless society, now. I used to make fun of some of the people I worked with in the past(and one of my friends wife), because they never had any cash on them. Now, there are times where I'll go weeks without a single dollar bill in my wallet, too(until it's time to go to the barbershop: old school, cash only). I think it's largely because I don't travel nearly as much as I used to and needed cash on hand for things like tipping valets at the hotel or restaurant or if there was a minor emergency and something happened to my credit card or debit card.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Michael View Post
    I noticed that yesterday at the grocery. Plenty of healthy food but the white bread, frozen french fries, etc. were cleaned out. Picked up some nice avocados and mangoes.
    One of my buddies semi-joked that there were plenty of rutabagas at the grocery store yesterday. No potatoes, but plenty of rutabagas.

7. Collapse Details
    I'm doubting whether it's because of a bunch of crazies buying tons of toilet paper.

What if most people are like, "I'm just going to buy one extra package of toilet paper, and I am going to buy it this week" (instead of the week that they normally would). And their reasoning is, "The hoarders have come! If I wait until my normal buying time, it will be out of stock!"

There are a lot of people who shop at your grocery store. Grocery stores are not stocked 10 times their capacity. It's cheaper for a company to normally have just enough inventory, maybe a little more. I mean, that's what Lean Manufacturing was all about.

When you go to the store and see all the empty shelves, it feels like everyone is buying several months' worth of food and supplies. But really maybe all it takes to clear shelves is for everyone to buy just a little more, all at the same time.

Just a conjecture. I think I have seen a photo of crazies with shopping carts full of toilet paper. But apparently not a single one of you did that. None of my coworkers did, nor any of my friends on Facebook. Everyone says how crazy it is.

8. Collapse Details
    I work for a Marriott Hotel, and I took a hit, but thankful for the unemployment.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post

Just a conjecture. I think I have seen a photo of crazies with shopping carts full of toilet paper. But apparently not a single one of you did that. None of my coworkers did, nor any of my friends on Facebook. Everyone says how crazy it is.
    I can say 100% factually that I didn’t. I haven’t bought toilet paper in probably six months. I do some of my shopping at Sam’s, where everything is sold in-bulk and you can’t buy “less”. I bought one pack, like normal. I didn’t disrupt the regular buying/stocking patterns. But you’re possibly right, since everyone runs such lean inventory, with the presumption that nothing will ever disrupt the modern, lean, “efficient” supply chain, that all it would take is each person just buying a few more items than normal to overwhelm it(especially if they’re already running at max capacity). And then when people see that items are gone that they wanted, panic sets in, so when they are re-stocked they buy even more than they would have initially, clearing the shelves of stock even faster and on and on. As has been said, the more advanced a society is, the more fragile it is. And this is a good example. Over the years the manufacturers, distributors and stores have figured out how to run as “efficiently” as possible(as little ‘back stock’ sitting as possible), but this leaves very little room for any disruption or variation in their plans, as we usually see during any type of other natural disasters(usually several times a year), like hurricanes or snow storms here in the south(gotta buy milk and bread).

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    Yeah, all the meats, eggs, and breads were cleaned out at the local Walmart. Oddly enough the fresh veggies and fruits went untouched. Says something about the typical southern diet.
    I promise you its not just the south doing that. I went to my local wal mart here in the denver area yesterday and same thing. This is from one of the "healtiest" states in the country. Everyone is doing it. They are buying up s*%t they know wont spoil.. granted eggs, bread, and milk do, but i digress. lol
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 Matte Box

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast