Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is making short films with small crews a risk with Covid 19?
    Hi everyone,

Is making short films with small crews a risk with Covid 19? I've been asked to make a 5 minute short film with a team of 5-7 actors and crew in NZ. We would be mainly filming outdoors at the beach.

Is that a safe number to film in NZ, or should any short filmmaking be postponed? I know it's different for different countries -- your thoughts.

I know that the 48 hour short film competition has been postponed here.

Thanks
    David
    Panasonic Lumix G85 | Lumix G7 | Canon XC10 | Lumix GH2 | HVX-200 | Final Cut Pro X | DaVinci Resolve 15

2. Collapse Details
    Its no problem if no one is carrying the virus, but a big problem if anyone is. Thats why the health professionals are asking people to stay home. Its individuals that show no symptoms that are the real problem. The virus can take over a week to show any signs and may not for some people. Its sucks to stay home but welcome to this new reality. I'd hate to be responsible for a friends death.
    Last edited by thekreative; 03-17-2020 at 09:16 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    its also hard to make a film keeping 2 meters of distance between everyone all day!

4. Collapse Details
    The truthis that no one really knows which is why the only prudent action at this time is to refrain some any such activities unles for emergency need.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Are you asking for yourself or for the cast and crew? Asking people to get together now is irresponsible. Each of us has to do our own risk evaluation. But some people may risk themselves unnecesarily for the sake of the art or the opportunity to be involved. So leaders need to be responsible and take the lead to decide for others what the prudent thing to do is. Make a short now is not necessary and is irresponsible.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Risks of actual contamination are minuscule - especially, if everyone abides by the established etiquette - but the person in charge will be on a losing end of the PR right from the start.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    I have a couple of YouTube videos that I plan to make in the next few days, but that is just my wife and me working on them.

If there is shooting you can do that doesn't involve other people (cutaway shots, insert shots, etc.), you could collect those with no problem. In fact, this is an excellent time to shoot things like time-lapse videos.

8. Collapse Details
    The bottom line is that nobody really KNOWS what the risks are. As said before, if nobody has the virus, and won't be coming in contact with anyone who has it, or any surface that they've recently touched, then the risks may seem to you to be prudently managed. But that's not the way the medical experts are advising us to act.

I wouldn't take advice from anyone on the Internet; no matter how well-intentioned they may be and no matter how much they may think they know, the only ones I would be listening to are the top pandemic medical experts. In the US one of our leading voices put it this way: (paraphrased) In a pandemic, any actions we recommend will likely appear alarmist, and in hindsight will be thought of as inadequate.

I will repeat what I said before: there is an alarmingly high percentage of adults who won't even wash their hands after wiping their own butts. Given that, and the recommendations from the WHO and CDC etc, I have made the decision to be as self-quarantined as possible and would suggest to others to delay any unnecessary activities during this period of rapid case escalation and uncertainty.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Is it a "Risk"? Yes. Is the risk avoidable? Yes, by cancelling your event.
    Last edited by wwjd; 03-19-2020 at 04:49 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    I’d hold off. There is a long incubation period where people with mild or no symptoms are shedding virus (like the mayor in Florida). Until we get more testing and we can determine our status we need to hole up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast