Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    EVA1 SD Card Errors & Issues - HELP!
    I'm DP'ing a feature western right now and 2 of my 4 Lexar 128GB SDXC v60II memory cards are done. One physically broke, but the second gave errors, lost a take, got initialized, worked, then on another day it froze my EVA1, got initialized after a reboot by pulling the battery (because camera wouldn't power down or cut), and after initialization was working, did some test shots, and kept filming the movie... BUUUUUUT....

....now it won't mount on any computer (windows, mac, direct or card reader). Hoping tomorrow to put it back into the EVA1 and at least see that the thumbnails and data are still there... maybe it'll prompt another initialize media and we can get it to mount. Is there a way to get to "initialize media" in the Panasonic menu (like you do on an FS7?)

I'm at a loss. This is 1/4th of our shoot day and obviously we're on a tight indie budget and time schedule where re-shooting would be really tough, but 100% necessary. Any insights are welcome.

Also, note that slot1 wouldn't work with the card, but it worked in slot2 and that's where we initialized it. I'm not sure if this is a Lexar card issue or an issue with my EVA1's Slot1. Thoughts? Advice?

2. Collapse Details
    My guess would be Lexar card. I’ve had issues with them as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Sounds to me like the cards are too slow, or may have simply gone bad.
    Are you recording at 150 long-gop or 400 intra?
    And are you at least recording to dual slots so you have a second card as a backup?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I am shooting 400mbs All-I. Today we loaded the SD card back into the EVA and the thumbnails are all there and playback. We cannot get the SD card to mount on any computer or laptop, directly or with a reader. Any ideas??? Thanks!

5. Collapse Details
    Yes use a Atomos recorder to capture the HDMI output.

Quote Originally Posted by mariomattei View Post
    I am shooting 400mbs All-I. Today we loaded the SD card back into the EVA and the thumbnails are all there and playback. We cannot get the SD card to mount on any computer or laptop, directly or with a reader. Any ideas??? Thanks!

6. Collapse Details
    All sounds bad.

Can you use the camera as a card reader?

7. Collapse Details
    Good suggestion from MM. None of my Lexars can be read by my computer but my Sony A7R3 works perfectly as a card reader.

8. Collapse Details
    Sounds like bad cards to me. Try using a different reputable brand and see if you get the same errors.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Yes use a Atomos recorder to capture the HDMI output.
    Totally agree. Saving whatever you can ASAP should be your #1 priority! (Different camera/card/system, but had a similar thing happen to me with an FS7/XQD card a while back. We were able to play back and capture some - but not all - of our takes playing back from the original camera. Efforts to retrieve other takes didn't work - and the entire card failed shortly thereafter. We sent the card in and Sony was unable to retrieve any of the data.) So if you can play it back out of the camera, don't wait -- save it to a recorder!

And if you have ANY problems with a card, take it out of your use rotation immediately. You might also want to stick with v90 cards for 400-I recording from now on.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I was going to suggest the same as Sam to see if you can use the camera as a reader.

And I also second OnSet, that if a card starts giving you issues, it’s best to pull it from the lineup. It sucks having to replace the card, but it’s cheaper than losing the footage.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast