1. Collapse Details
    Powering gh5 by monitor. Monitor by vlock.
    Hey all,

I hope im at the right category of the forum here since its more about gear then the GH5 itself but i think i have the biggest chance on an experienced answer here;

I am the new owner of a light and compact Vlock battery which i am gonna use for my GH5 rig. I have a FeelWorld MA5 monitor which has a 12v in to power it and an 8.4v out, which with you can power a camera.

My question is, does anyone has experience using a d tap to np-f dummy battery 12v cable from a v lock into a monitor like my FeelWorld MA5 monitor, for example with this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Alvins-Cables...9KRQWDPHBM1NX4

and then from that using a dc out to GH5 dummy battery to powering a GH5 with the monitor's 8.4v output.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ANDYCINE-Exte...3936206&sr=8-5

Could this killer combination be possible or would it ask too much of the devices?

Thanks in advance,

Bas.
    Last edited by BasRonin; 03-11-2020 at 12:15 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    I've had great success using this & a Sony NP battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Ansso-NP-F970...3965452&sr=8-7

Pretty sweet set-up really. Absolutely essential for long shoots.
    John Vincent
    Evil Genius Entertainment.com

3. Collapse Details
    I'll be honest I have limited knowledge on power draw and needs but I'll ask is there a more simple solution? Depending on your vmount plate, could you run 12v to the monitor and your 7.4/8volt to the GH5? That way you don't have to daisy chain as much and you can just draw directly from the source?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I've run both the camera and a monitor off a vmount plenty of times, I agree with TSDavis that daisy chaining adds a level of complication not needed. Just keep in mind that and source other than a pana battery can corrupt a file when the power goes down. I run external power into the battery grip with a pana battery in the camera as a backup

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdv View Post
    I've had great success using this & a Sony NP battery:

https://www.amazon.com/Ansso-NP-F970...3965452&sr=8-7

Pretty sweet set-up really. Absolutely essential for long shoots.
    I never seen an NP-F setup like this, looks great! I actually have a same sort of setup by using a v mount battery and a dummy battery to d-tap. What i actually meant was to power the monitor with the v mount battery and from there the cam by the monitor.

I'll be honest I have limited knowledge on power draw and needs but I'll ask is there a more simple solution? Depending on your vmount plate, could you run 12v to the monitor and your 7.4/8volt to the GH5? That way you don't have to daisy chain as much and you can just draw directly from the source?
    That would be a great option, tho since i bought the compact FXLion Nano one battery it doesnt feel right for me to mount this compact battery on a big battery plate with such outputs (these battery plates are generally made for huge v mount batteries like they used to be made). Because of this i mounted my FXLion on a baseplate for smaller v-mount batteries. Unfortunately these smaller battery plates have no extra outputs so i have only the d tap out and several usb outputs to use.

I've run both the camera and a monitor off a vmount plenty of times, I agree with TSDavis that daisy chaining adds a level of complication not needed. Just keep in mind that and source other than a pana battery can corrupt a file when the power goes down. I run external power into the battery grip with a pana battery in the camera as a backup
    Great idea! Didnt knew you could use the dummy battery in this grip and the native battery in the camera. I never used a battery grip but actually tought the battery in the cam would be used first and the battery in the grip secondary. If the battery in the cam is used second thats a great backup!
    Last edited by BasRonin; 03-12-2020 at 02:38 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    You can actually tell the camera which battery you want it to be primary, grip or body.