Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    I can't believe you have to even deposit a check. Here you just send an invoice with your bank details then the money arrives in your bank account.
    My main client used to do this, but they had to go to the bank to do it for some reason. Once mobile deposit came a thing, it was much easier for her to just text me a photo of the check, and then I could take a photo of that off my computer screen using the iPhone app and deposit it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Having a savings account with a separate limit would not help because the limit is the same amount. My problem is when I have a single check that is over the limit, then I have to drive to the bank. I sometimes joke, first world problems, "My check is so big I have to spend an hour cashing it." If I have multiple checks that together go over the limit, and in my case the limit only applies for a couple or few days, so I can just submit the excess checks some days later. I have a couple times asked the client to split the check in two so that it doesn't go over my deposit limit; one time they did not acquiesce my request so off to the bank.

I actually tend to prefer checks over direct deposit, I suppose mainly because I can keep better track of when it arrives, as well as direct deposits sometimes having fees (particularly from overseas clients).

Credit cards have fees as well. I tell clients that they can pay with credit card if they wish but they have to cover any fees associated with it. Most don't pay with credit card. I know one video guy who mostly takes payment via credit card and doesn't charge his client for the fees, so he must be losing thousands of dollars each year due to credit card fees. That's crazy to me. On top of that he doesn't use credit cards to make purchases so that's another couple grand per year in lost income from cash back credit cards.

I pay all of my contractors with PayPal via "Friends and Family," and sometimes Venmo. I prefer PayPal mainly because you don't need an app on your phone to use the site easily; Venmo practically requires downloading an app to use on your phone, which means I often wait until I'm at a computer before making a Venmo payment as I don't like cluttering my phone with apps. I find younger people like PAs are more likely to have Venmo and not have PayPal, but most contractors like sound guys and camera ops have PayPal. I almost always pay my contractors within around 1-3 days of a shoot via PayPal or Venmo, which they appreciate. I like getting paid with Paypal, but only some clients will opt for that method.

Payment for me is probably 65% checks, 20% direct deposit, 10% Paypal, and 5% some other method. A client tried to pay via Zelle recently but my bank account did not support Zelle.

Got a second inquiry today for a shoot this week. Nothing booked at the moment but good to know the inquiries have not died off completely, so there's hope to make some income in the midst of all of this. Hopefully something books soon to further that hope. I get the feeling that a large percentage of people putting out hashtags #hunkerdown, #socialdistance, etc., are people who can work from home. I guess I'm not financially desperate for work at this point, but I'm also not so scared of the virus at this point that I would turn down paying work.
    Last edited by Eric Coughlin; 03-16-2020 at 04:22 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Having a savings account with a separate limit would not help because the limit is the same amount. My problem is when I have a single check that is over the limit, then I have to drive to the bank. I sometimes joke, first world problems, "My check is so big I have to spend an hour cashing it." If I have multiple checks that together go over the limit, and in my case the limit only applies for a couple or few days, so I can just submit the excess checks some days later. I have a couple times asked the client to split the check in two so that it doesn't go over my deposit limit; one time they did not acquiesce my request so off to the bank.

I actually tend to prefer checks over direct deposit, I suppose mainly because I can keep better track of when it arrives, as well as direct deposits sometimes having fees (particularly from overseas clients).

Credit cards have fees as well. I tell clients that they can pay with credit card if they wish but they have to cover any fees associated with it. Most don't pay with credit card. I know one video guy who mostly takes payment via credit card and doesn't charge his client for the fees, so he must be losing thousands of dollars each year due to credit card fees. That's crazy to me. On top of that he doesn't use credit cards to make purchases so that's another couple grand per year in lost income from cash back credit cards.
    Maybe you can include your time to drive to/from the bank to accept their payment in your quote.

You should be able to set up automated notifications when you get paid or if you haven't been paid yet. Or the people paying can send you a proof of payment (remittance advice) once they've paid.

That guy not charging for cc fees is crazy. I know someone who did a large project for a huge company, which would have taken 90 days to get paid via deposit but they could pay with credit card instantly, which they did. Maybe that's a unique situation but good to think about all of the benefits of accepting different payment methods.

I guess any of this is better than getting paid with a meal plus name on credits.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    I guess any of this is better than getting paid with a meal plus name on credits.
    Jonah Hill got paid hardly anything for The Wolf of Wall Street but got meals and credit which were more valuable than the meager paycheck. Actually, after watching Maniac I'm not sure if he did get meals.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    Jonah Hill got paid hardly anything for The Wolf of Wall Street but got meals and credit which were more valuable than the meager paycheck. Actually, after watching Maniac I'm not sure if he did get meals.
    Haha a nice, fair comparison. The guarantee of more massive projects in hollywood being the difference.

I'm not knocking volunteering, I've done it many times. It's the producer pushing "name on credits" as if it has real value which I hate.

6. Collapse Details
    So, on the Covid-19 - over the last 24 hours or so, Florida registered 11 more cases, one person died.

7. Collapse Details
    This came out in 2003.

RESULTS:

The results showed that SARS coronavirus in the testing condition could survive in serum, 1:20 diluted sputum and feces for at least 96 h, whereas it could remain alive in urine for at least 72 h with a low level of infectivity. The survival abilities on the surfaces of eight different materials and in water were quite comparable, revealing reduction of infectivity after 72 to 96 h exposure. Viruses stayed stable at 4 degrees C, at room temperature (20 degrees C) and at 37 degrees C for at least 2 h without remarkable change in the infectious ability in cells, but were converted to be non-infectious after 90-, 60- and 30-min exposure at 56 degrees C, at 67 degrees C and at 75 degrees C, respectively. Irradiation of UV for 60 min on the virus in culture medium resulted in the destruction of viral infectivity at an undetectable level.

CONCLUSION:

The survival ability of SARS coronavirus in human specimens and in environments seems to be relatively strong. Heating and UV irradiation can efficiently eliminate the viral infectivity.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14631830

8. Collapse Details
    Because this thread, too, is suffering from political posts, it's closed.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456