Thread: Panavision SSR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    You mean while shooting that sequence?! Honestly it was a pretty stressful day. I had some technical issues with the rig and missed the walkthroughs where the 1st AD was setting background. By the time I got involved I needed to add in crosses to help lead the frame from point to point, and time was running short so we started shooting sooner than I would have preferred to really smooth out the background properly. To this day it feels a little cluttered and clunky (there's a near collision of crosses at :36, for instance), and it's also kind of precious, not exactly organic. So no, I didn't get to enjoy the surroundings much!

I liked this one'r from the movie better:

When we shot this scene in early 2008, Obama was yet to clinch the Democratic primary and his name was still pretty obscure--very prescient of the director to put that reference in there!

You know I was only half-joking... ; ) Yeah, I get it. We all do things and people are like, "Oh, that's so cool", etc. and you have to tell them essentially the same thing, that you were working and didn't really get to "enjoy it". At least not at that moment.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    Has anyone ever used one? It’s funny that we have never discussed this item. It appears to have all the features of the never released SRR4.

I know they probably aren’t in the wild, lots of Panavised cameras making their way to the market recently, I don’t think it’s impossible a few find their way out.
    You probably mean SRR3. The SRR4 is the F65 recorder.

The idea of using a Panavision SSR-1 with a F35 is interesting. I would think it would give you similar advantages as the Codex. But I don't think it would be effectively a better option over it. Actually it would be technically inferior. The Genesis being limited to 10-bit, I would think the SSR-1 is as well. Meaning it can't record all the F35 offers, as can the Codex and Sony SRR1.

It is still a very interesting idea. I just don't think it would be a better option for the F35 over a Codex, Sony SRR1 or a 7Q.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaveum View Post
    You probably mean SRR3. The SRR4 is the F65 recorder.

The idea of using a Panavision SSR-1 with a F35 is interesting. I would think it would give you similar advantages as the Codex. But I don't think it would be effectively a better option over it. Actually it would be technically inferior. The Genesis being limited to 10-bit, I would think the SSR-1 is as well. Meaning it can't record all the F35 offers, as can the Codex and Sony SRR1.

It is still a very interesting idea. I just don't think it would be a better option for the F35 over a Codex, Sony SRR1 or a 7Q.
    But for me, given I have the genesis, it would be pretty amazing lol :b
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 & CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12