Thread: Cheap IFB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Comteks. Shop around and you can find them used for good deals.
    It's what people on sets expect and if they are an experienced producer,
    director, scripty, they know and are comfortable with Comteks.

The Lectros sound better but the average non sound mixer type person has a tin ear anyway
    so buying the Lectros is probably throwing good money after bad.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    We call those people 'special'. They are found on almost every set.

I've thought about trying the Listen base station for my cart. But that would be spending good money after bad. I like the G3/Leicozic so much better. If I had the money, I'd go with G3 IEMs, but they are selling for about $350 each (used) on ebay vs $45 for the Leicozic. Maybe I'll buy one here and there over time. If I were a full-time sound guy, of course I'd go with what Alex says and buy the good stuff right off.

And so, as we see, if you go cheap, you end up spending even more money than doing it right in the first place. But those are the realities of not having money or not wanting to spend it.
    Yup. Not wanting to spend it!

Comtek 2 receiver set is $1400 new. Some folks say you can use use #72 with the new 216 (I think).

I work in Sacramento, fly away from country. 1 hour flight from LA, might as well be Siberia. There are some paid jobs, but there are a couple of almost full time guys who suck up the work. Most jobs pay...nothing (hey! Exposure!)

The Sennheiser IEM is $999 for one transmitter and two receivers. Might go that route. Thanks all.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Comteks. Shop around and you can find them used for good deals.
    That's what one of my audio guys did. I think he got all, or most, of his off of eBay.

What really sucks, though, is that most people on set that use them, treat them like crap, forget about them and just toss them "wherever". Which is why he probably bought used ones on eBay.

4. Collapse Details
    I've had Comtek, Listen Tech, and Lectro. Everybody asks for "a Comtek", so you might as well have them. I have a set of Listen Tech because they are very cheap and sound the same as Comtek and use standard AA. They key is to use the full powered base stations with these systems. I know some people manage to get away with adapting one of the small body pack transmitters with the mic input, but I always got terrible range and interference when I tried to put it in my bag. The full size transmitter has balanced inputs and much better range. Buy used.

The Lectros are better in every way and cost more. One nice thing about the Lectros is that you can let your camera hops and IFBs work off the same transmitter if need be.

5. Collapse Details
    Based on that input, I'll give the Listen base station a try. I had no idea a portable transmitter could be so bad having been used to Sennheiser's performance.

Regarding your comment on Electros, that's why I like using Sennheiser; one common set of equipment for IFB and hops, even if they may have separate feeds, you have one set of inventory.

6. Collapse Details
    Based on that input, I'll give the Listen base station a try. I had no idea a portable transmitter could be so bad having been used to Sennheiser's performance.

Regarding your comment on Electros, that's why I like using Sennheiser; one common set of equipment for IFB and hops, even if they may have separate feeds, you have one set of inventory.
    I've heard of some people just using the standard Sennheiser receiver as an IFB. It is a bit of a pain to change the volume, but they drive a headphone fairly well.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    I've heard of some people just using the standard Sennheiser receiver as an IFB. It is a bit of a pain to change the volume, but they drive a headphone fairly well.
    On standard stereo HPs, the audio would only be on the left side. With the EM100 portable Rx, even at the max AF setting it is anemic unless the Tx sensitivity is set much higher then normal. The more expensive EM-300, 500 and 2000 Rx have a separate HP output as I recall.

8. Collapse Details
    Yep, even with the transmitter sensitivity turned all the way up and the receiver output turned all the way up, that setup has minimal volume. It's not workable as for me.

9. Collapse Details
    Based on that input, I'll give the Listen base station a try. I had no idea a portable transmitter could be so bad having been used to Sennheiser's performance. ...
    I received the LT-800 today. It's so much better than the portable transmitter. The Listen portable transmitter made the system nearly useless. Now I have two systems; the Listen 216 Mhz and the Sennheiser/Leicozic system. I'll be adding Sennheiser G3 IEMs when I see deals on ebay.

10. Collapse Details
    Perhaps the just-announced Deity BP-TRX will be an option. It offers an IEM mode, and a bunch of other stuff. $250.
    https://www.deitymic.com/bp-trx/

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 3.14.29 PM.jpg
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast