Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    C500 II SDI / HDMI Monitor Out Issues
    So I finally got to shoot with the C500 II all day. The camera shoots gorgeous images and that experience makes me want one pretty bad. That being said, I think my biggest issue with the camera are the outputs. It was only my first time to use it, but Canon really needs to work out their output situation.

We had a SmallHD 7" Touch monitor and a 17" monitor for video village. We could not run video out of both SDI's simultaneously on the camera. Additionally, if we tried to run out of the HDMI, it disabled the SDI ports. Not too happy about this at all.

As far as the 2 SDI ports go, as I understand it, the 2nd SDI port is a "12G" SDI port and only works with 12G monitors. Does that mean, if I've got a director's monitor that accepts 12G inputs hooked up to the 2nd port, I can then use the first SDI port for my 7" on-camera monitor? Is it even possible to have both SDI ports on the C500 II simultaneously?

Also, I realize that I can always just hook the video village monitor up to the pass through SDI port on my SmalHD monitor. And that worked for us for the 1st couple hours of the day. But SmallHD is not known as the most reliable brand in the world, and this brand new 7" Touch Monitor (only been used once) decided to stop feeding a signal out the pass through SDI port. So our video village died. We then tried the HDMI on the camera, but then lost the on-camera monitor hooked up to SDI. So in the end the client/director got to see the larger image in video village and my team had to monitor through the C500's tiny monitor, which was less than ideal on a shoot like this. I always prefer to just go direct out of camera, with as few boxes, convertors and bulls*%t interrupting the feed and this SmallHD output failure is precisely why I like to keep things simple. I'd like to not have to rely on SDI splitters, convertors and pass through devices when using this camera.

That all been said, this camera shoots absolutely gorgeous footage. It just blew me away. And despite these shortcomings, it made me want one pretty bad.
    Last edited by robotfist; 03-02-2020 at 04:13 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    That 12G SDI port will only send the signal that is being recorded, so if you're recording 4K you need a monitor that can accept a full 4K signal, if you're recording 5.9K you're probably just plain out of luck (unless you have a monitor that accepts a 5.9k raw signal?). I only have peripherals that accept a 1080/2k signal so like you experienced, this "extra" port is useless.
    Director | Making Lemonade: Our Covid 19 Story
    (warning: this film contains 0% politics, 0% conspiracies, & 100% optimism)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    Does that mean, if I've got a director's monitor that accepts 12G inputs hooked up to the 2nd port, I can then use the first SDI port for my 7" on-camera monitor? Is it even possible to have both SDI ports on the C500 II simultaneously?.
    Yes.. both mon and sdi ports work at the same time. I believe blackMagicís video assist monitor/recorder is 12g and will down convert as well... plus itís under $800 I think. Came-tv and Lilliput make decent 4K production monitors for under $2k that are 12g as well.. or thereís Teridek bolt 4K, but thatís getting a little pricey.. point is there are some options, they just arenít last years options :-).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    That 12G SDI port will only send the signal that is being recorded, so if you're recording 4K you need a monitor that can accept a full 4K signal, if you're recording 5.9K you're probably just plain out of luck (unless you have a monitor that accepts a 5.9k raw signal?). I only have peripherals that accept a 1080/2k signal so like you experienced, this "extra" port is useless.
    yeah the 5.9k thing is a bit weird.. even canonís pricey production monitors donít accept that signal.. at least as I read the specs. Maybe that will be their big NAB announcement, a 45,000 monitor for the 16k camera. :-)!

5. Collapse Details
    It’s weird it doesn’t at least let you output a simultaneous 1080 signal from the Monitor SDI and the HDMI. The camera has all these great output ports on the back, and you can only use one.

6. Collapse Details
    That 12G SDI port will only send the signal that is being recorded, so if you're recording 4K you need a monitor that can accept a full 4K signal.
    Do you know if it has to be 12G though? Will it accept a 3G SDI 4k monitor?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    It’s weird it doesn’t at least let you output a simultaneous 1080 signal from the Monitor SDI and the HDMI. The camera has all these great output ports on the back, and you can only use one.
    Not to sidetrack too much but this is reminiscent of the C200 inability to simultaneously use HDMI and SDI at the same time. Seems like Canon always makes the outputs a compromise, not sure why?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Not to sidetrack too much but this is reminiscent of the C200 inability to simultaneously use HDMI and SDI at the same time. Seems like Canon always makes the outputs a compromise, not sure why?
    I think it might have to do with the HDMI being able to send out a 4K signal and the SDI monitor terminal only being able to send out a 2K signal. On the C300 MKII, it seemed that the HDMI and SDI terminals were sending out the same video signal and using the same processor which allowed both ports to function at the same time. On the C500 II, it looks like you are stuck with only one port in order to allow the HDMI to send out 4K. The two ports are probably still using a single processor shared between them. I mean, it would be nice if you just choose to send out a 1080p signal from both the HDMI and SDI, but I guess not.

9. Collapse Details
    Is that true? The 12G port sends an uncompressed 5.9k video signal out when you're recording 5.9k raw?

That seems unlikely. I'd have thought the 12G signal tops out at 4k (and therefore will send out a 4k signal whether you're recording 4k or 5.9k).

10. Collapse Details
    Had to check this out, so I plugged in my monitors and it seems to work fine for me. Both in 6k raw and xavc, it sends a 4k signal out the sdi and monitor ports. Picture evidence attached.
    Details on this: SDI port to Shogun Inferno's 12G input. MON port to Smallhd 503. The Smallhd is a 1080 monitor, not sure if it's 12G. But while recording, the picture remained on all 3. I didn't test HDMI because HDMI sucks.

c500monitor.jpg
    Last edited by Airwolf; 03-01-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast