Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Anyone tried wearing a lens belt to avoid airline carry on weight?
    15lbs carry on weight ain’t gonna happen. I do this a lot and usually avoid fees but always get nervous doing this when traveling solo.

Besides using a Scott E Vest or what not to stuff with gear when they weigh bags (since your weight and what you’re wearing doesn’t count toward restriction); anyone tried just wearing a lens belt filled with lenses?

Obviously I’d just repack them into the bag once making it through screening, just wondering if wearing the belt under a jacket would give trouble.

2. Collapse Details
    Most of the time I wear a lightweight photog/safari jacket with many large pockets on the inside and outside and have often carted 7-10Kgs of kit in the jacket batteries included. I just stuff the lenses into wool socks for a bit of padding. Once on board I redistribute the mass weight objects back into the carry on. Then do the snap jerk lift performance to make it look light to get the bag back in the overhead while looking kool and casual. Something like this:

https://ebay.to/2HW4kg1

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    The amusing thing is how the socks smell on the journey back. I would suggest a wooly hat for DSLRs

4. Collapse Details
    I've traveled on several different airlines wearing a lens belt and have never had issues. I use the Kinesis system: https://kgear.eogear.com/collections...s-lens-pouches

5. Collapse Details
    Chris - we're twins, this has been my rhythm (down to the snap lift!) for some time. For M43 it's been great but I'd like to shoot this next trip on Full Frame, I'm concerned with some of the larger/heavier Milvus lenses in the vest and thinking of adding to this rhythm a lens belt that can fold back down into my backpack. Only thing for me is, I move my gear back into carry on immediately after check in (security doesn't care at all, and very rarely during boarding do they attempt to weigh.

R_Marvin - good to hear! International flights as well? I have a similar looking system from ThinkTank. I'd be attempting to just wear it at check in when they weigh my carry on.

6. Collapse Details
    Weight restrictions for carry on luggage are stupid. Are they going to stop me from boarding the plane if I gain 30 pounds before my flight? No? Then why can't I bring 30 pounds of camera gear with me?

Ridiculous.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Weight restrictions for carry on luggage are stupid. Are they going to stop me from boarding the plane if I gain 30 pounds before my flight? No? Then why can't I bring 30 pounds of camera gear with me?

Ridiculous.
    Totally agree. And the Domestics are loosey goosey about this policy, compared to BA, Air France and Quantas, who are military in enforcing this.
    I almost had to stay with gear in Paris, coming back from Morocco and had to have a very long and passionate argument with an Air France supervisor
    before she relented and let us board the plane with our gear, "only because you are artistes". Yeesh.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Yup, it's ridiculous. I get they want to keep fuel costs down, but there should be hardline policy exceptions if you open a case full of expensive electronics/glass or otherwise.

Interestingly enough, whenever things have been a very close call on boarding, I've always been let through when they see it's camera gear... so maybe I'm lucky, or maybe there is an unwritten rule on this.

Why they don't just monetize this with a policy of "$50 carry on weight overage is allowed only for certain items - electronics, camera gear, glass, scuba" is beyond me.

9. Collapse Details
    Is this something new? Granted I haven't flown with a camera since last year or flown period since the end of November, but I have not had anyone say a word to me. My backpack alone probably weighs at least that(no cam gear). My F55 with 17-120 on it... Way more.

10. Collapse Details
    Weight and balance in an aircraft can be an issue and the calculations are based on a set of assumptions like average passenger weight. I was on a flight that had so few passengers we were asked to move to the front so the W&B numbers were in range. Are any US domestic carriers weighing carry on yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast