1. Collapse Details
    Release question for an upcoming documentary
    Hello,

I'm getting a grant to film a documentary for the 100th anniversary of the Woman's Suffrage movement. I will be filming at the State House, Parade and other public locations. I've checked and the locations are all public and will be either in government owned buildings or outside on the street. My local State Archives will be helping promote the film and they will be applying for the grant and giving me the funds. Due to the fact I won't know who will be there beforehand and my State has a one party consent recording law can I just start filming someone and ask if I can interview them for the documentary and explain that it will be sold and what the grant is and there will be a showing and if they say yes will that count as a release? People will most likely come and go quickly so there might not even be time for them to sign anything.

If that won't work can someone at the State Archives sign a release saying they are responsible for anyone in the film since they are the ones receiving the funds and helping with the promotion of the film? Want to figure this out before I film anything.

2. Collapse Details
    I'm no expert but I don't think it matters that you have a grant. I had an associate years ago who shot ENG for a local news station and all he did was ask someone on camera if they consented to being recorded for the news. That apparently was sufficient. If you're working in a certain space, you can put up *crowd releases on the entry doors which notify all who enter that they will be consenting to use of recordings made of them.

*Succinct verbiage spelling out that recording will be in progress on the premises.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Santucci View Post
    I'm no expert but I don't think it matters that you have a grant. I had an associate years ago who shot ENG for a local news station and all he did was ask someone on camera if they consented to being recorded for the news. That apparently was sufficient. If you're working in a certain space, you can put up *crowd releases on the entry doors which notify all who enter that they will be consenting to use of recordings made of them.

*Succinct verbiage spelling out that recording will be in progress on the premises.
    What about a sign on the tripod I will be using that briefly mentions what the film is about it with the name of the production?

4. Collapse Details
    No, it has to be on the entrance doors so people see it before they enter or choose to not enter.

5. Collapse Details
    What we often do with the stage shows is get the host to tell everyone the show is being recorded and if anyone is here with somebody they shouldn't be, then scarper quick now - as we're starting t he cameras in a minute and you might see yourself on TV, so, off you stay, you might be in it. We of course record this anyway, and then we just make it a joke, then start again and get an even bigger cheer! A few people always sneak out.