Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    So, JCS, being able to choose a variety of engine sounds is kind of like LUT’s for cars!

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Good analogy! + SOOC camera looks for the target goal / requirements is cool when possible.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Just the mustache.
    And the smile it rests upon, as 240 ponies send a gentle breeze though it. The same master strokes that went into the sculpture of David now rest upon 4 wheels and is screaming down the road. And you read this so fast you still have 3 more seconds till 60mph.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Good analogy! + SOOC camera looks for the target goal / requirements is cool when possible.
    Must be anyone who drives with Straight Out Of Car sound, is either lazy... haha!

As cars become more electronic, i find i apply camera logic to them. Like for battery care and firmware updates. Etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    My 77 that I rebuilt top to bottom, and was my daily driver for for nearly 17 years.
    That is undeniably pretty.

6. Collapse Details
    It was very pretty.
    I disassembled the car and rebuilt it not to concours standards, but to make it a bulitproof daily driver.
    Fully adjustable coilover racing suspension, Norwood electronic ignition, light weight aluminum racing radiator with twin electric fans, the removal of right at 400 lbs, and much more.
    All said and done it was faster that a Ferrari F355 which was 20 years newer.
    Sadly the car was vandalized by a neighbor to the tune of over $17K and I ended up selling it.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Would be fun to be able to swap out different engine sounds in future electric sports cars (played externally for safety, and over internal speakers for fun).
    Back around 1989 or 1990 (?) I saw a program on TV that reviewed a company that either was making or planning to make a product that did this. They showed it in action as a guy drove around in a little compact Japanese econo car that sounded (interior) like a high performance exotic. Sure it wasn't fast at all but it sounded cool. I think I still have it recorded on tape somewhere.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    It was very pretty.
    I disassembled the car and rebuilt it not to concours standards, but to make it a bulitproof daily driver.
    Fully adjustable coilover racing suspension, Norwood electronic ignition, light weight aluminum racing radiator with twin electric fans, the removal of right at 400 lbs, and much more.
    All said and done it was faster that a Ferrari F355 which was 20 years newer.
    Sadly the car was vandalized by a neighbor to the tune of over $17K and I ended up selling it.
    Gah! Heart breaking! Though 17years is a good run. Amazing work and a testament to your discipline and maintenance.

I do like how challenging it must have been to craft a car so well in small numbers back then. 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s saw some of the most awkward car designs. But in that some of the best as well. Car designers have generally rode the line, and follow the overall trend. By the 80’s what else could they do with 4 wheels and a cabin? Everything has to come together, and idk, that ferrari is a beaut!

9. Collapse Details
    The new Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio - or derivations thereof - should have a 2.9L twin-turbo (I think it's going to be an electric twin-charger similar to what's found in Jeeps) with 620 hp. That's 207 hp per liter of displacement.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/a...ck-141318.html

FWIW, Daimler Benz is already making an engine with 208 hp/l for A45 AMG model, using an electronic wastegate.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    So, JCS, being able to choose a variety of engine sounds is kind of like LUT’s for cars!

My favorite sounding engine. As soon as you think the Ferrari is bad-azz, in strolls Satan himself. ( wear headphones to do this justice!):

https://youtu.be/iQgnh8NBTyY

Beside the engine sound captured, two things I love about that clip:

1) The way the camera whips back as if to say “wth?!?” and how it visually anticipates the RSR’s arrival.

2) The little kid running alongside who covers his ears in reaction to the throaty roar!
    Last edited by JPNola; 02-29-2020 at 08:45 PM.
    Big sources matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast