Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Rolex 24: 600HP 2.0L Turbo 4 starts with the lead, ends with [spoiler]
    Bronze Member
    Was pretty impressive to see the ultra high tech 600HP Mazda 2.0L turbo leading the start of the Rolex 24. In the end, the ancient overhead valve naturally aspirated Chevy V8 at 580HP wins: https://www.cadillac.com/world-of-ca...ototype-racing

Also cool to see so many ex F1 drivers on the team, e.g. Rubens Barrichelo (Ferrari, Honda, Brawn Williams) and Fernando Alonso (Minardi, Renault, McLaren, Ferrari) + CART/IndyCar + NASCAR + (various) Sports Car drivers too.

These mixed class races are IMO the most enjoyable to watch + unlike F1 there's a lot of different winners and multiple battles / drama in each class. I used to watch these races on SpeedVision back in the day, now just click through highlights on YT (don't generally have time to watch whole races these days).

2. Collapse Details
    One can place a big ass turbo onto a sports car. In the consumer models, the turbo lag forced all sorts of innovations, from twin-turbo to twin-chargers to electric turbo to the electric waste gate and so on.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Yeah, twin turbos with ultra-lightweight impellers and lots of software / waste-gate control / injectors etc. has helped reduce lag. The McClaren 720s (4L TTV8) really cleans up well in the top performance market against e.g. more expensive Ferraris, Lambos etc.

The future is electric- 100% torque at 0 RPM and way simpler, more reliable, less wear etc. Only major issue left is the battery. Solid state batteries are coming soon, as are super capacitors (Tesla owns tech in both spaces), means ultra quick charging and over 1000 miles range. With less battery wear, lower weight, and safer (e.g. no issue with fire and water). This appears to be coupled with the petro-dollar and upcoming "*breakthroughs" in clean energy, e.g. hot and cold fusion, possibly other exotic forms (zero point / vacuum energy etc.). It appears the petro-dollar will have to be addressed first, then the clean energy systems for mass market electrics can really take off.

Rolex 24: Konica-Minolta sponsored the winning team! Canon used to sponsor cars, might be fun if the rest of the CamCartel picked a horse to back

* not really breakthroughs, figured out a long time ago, only now being released in public (vs. restricted use for secret programs used in advanced flying and space vehicles / bases).

4. Collapse Details
    My new favourite thread.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    My new favourite thread.
    I was clicking through some suggested YouTube channels and found some (pretty young) guy who said that the new Corvette (495 hp, 0-60 in 2.8s) will destroy the high end sports market since it's faster than the ultra higher end models and obviously way, way cheaper (the average order price is about $85,000, whereas a 911 starts at about $120,000).

Then a couple of days ago, Toyota announced new engines for Supra. The 335 hp is out. A new entry level model with 250 hp is in and the top version will now have a 382 hp engine. Well, Supra was already 3.8 with 335, so the updated ~ $52,000 version will be in the 3.3's.

The key here is that anything under 5 is very, very fast and now a $50,000 two-seater performs like a super car from 2010, leaving very little reason to spend big money on anything faster. Aside of those wanting the prestige badge.

For reference, the famed 1978 Ferrari 308 GT that "Thomas Magnum, PI" drove was $60,000 new (five times the US GDP/capita) and, with its 240 hp engine, was 7.5 on 0-60.

6. Collapse Details
    7.5 sec with one person and no luggage?

My gear can weigh in the hundreds of pounds. Wondering if i could still get those advertised launch speeds?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    7.5 sec with one person and no luggage? ...
    Just the mustache.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    A common favorite for older iconic sports cars is to swap in a V8 LS (or similar lightweight small block high HP V8), restore the car, and have something unique, good looking, and with modern performance. Couldn't find an LS 308; found a nice 570HP turbo (original motor (mostly likely with new cams, pistons (to lower compression, stronger)):

Ferrari 550 with Twin Turbo LS swap (guy states he knows of only 4 LS swapped Ferraris in the world):

Ferrari IMO is more of a work of art (especially the leather + interior (except e.g. the F40 which was a race car for the street (stripper / minimalist)) and also a drivable musical instrument. Same for Lambo. Audi/Lambos (R8/R10) can make great daily drivers + also sound amazing.

Ferraris and Porsches tend to be kept original to maintain value. Less desirable models can get upgrades (308's can be found in OK shape for under $50K). Here's a 348 with twin turbos and really nicely done to look 'factory'. Also sounds amazing:

There's going to be a revolution in energy soon- and electric conversions will become widespread and much more cost effective (and ultimately higher performance vs. their ICE counterparts (street: track is a bit more complex until better thermal management is implemented. ICE will also hold the lead for mid to top speed for a while longer)). Here's an electric 308:

Electrics are a bit too quiet for a sports car: the BMW I8 plays engine noise through the muffler (speaker!)- not only makes it more fun to drive, but also a safety tool for other drivers and pedestrians, bikes, etc. Would be fun to be able to swap out different engine sounds in future electric sports cars (played externally for safety, and over internal speakers for fun).

9. Collapse Details
    My 77 that I rebuilt top to bottom, and was my daily driver for for nearly 17 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    A brand name related story. Sort of.

A friend and his wife are flying from somewhere in Western Europe back to the US. They enter the airport. Then some guy walks over to my friend out of nowhere and starts screaming, "Terrorista. Terrorista". My friend is beginning to freak out. Get tied up in something like this and you miss your plane and all that stuff. So, he tries to push the stranger away but he just keeps screaming, "Terrorista, Terrorista" while pointing at my friend's chest. Then, a second later, it dawns on my friend that the guy is pointing at the Ferrari logo on his T-shirt - my friend is a big Ferrari and Formula 1 fan - and actually screaming, "Ferrarista", not "Terrorista". My friend gave the screamer thumbs up and he walked away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast