Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    Paul, any buyer's remorse in the Panasonic 70-200 f/2.8?

I wasn't planning on buying any more native L-mount lenses for the S1H than my Sigma 35mm f/1.4. but now I find I'm using the camera even more than I thought I would. So I've got the urge to rely less on my vast assortment of PL and EF lenses and go native. The 70-200 is a perfect range for me and would probably live on my camera. I've got one sitting in my cart at B&H but haven't clicked the buy button yet. Thoughts? I wish it had a rear filter slot.
    I purchased the 70-200/4 when it came out. It's a great lens, super sharp with fast and accurate AF for stills.
    I was thinking about an upgrade to the 2.8 version and did a side by side test at my dealer's shop.
    I see no difference in image quality but surprisingly the AF of the f4 version was faster and more accurate.
    My dealer was as clueless as I was. It might be caused by the much heavier lenses but this is wild guess.
    I kept the f4 version and can highly recommend it if you don't need the extra stop.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    I purchased the 70-200/4 when it came out. It's a great lens, super sharp with fast and accurate AF for stills.
    I was thinking about an upgrade to the 2.8 version and did a side by side test at my dealer's shop.
    I see no difference in image quality but surprisingly the AF of the f4 version was faster and more accurate.
    My dealer was as clueless as I was. It might be caused by the much heavier lenses but this is wild guess.
    I kept the f4 version and can highly recommend it if you don't need the extra stop.
    You have just muddied the waters, thanks a lot! :-)

I saw that f/4 version but it just goes against my grain to invest in an f/4 lens just to save a few bucks. On the other hand, why throw away money unnecessarily?
    Usually when there are two versions of a similar product I will opt for the better one (f55 vs. F5, F800 vs. 700, etc.) and have always been happy that did go for the better one.
    Seeing how I would probably use this lens as my primary interview lens when I don't want to bring out the primes, I think the difference between f/4 and f/2.8 might very well be worth it to me in the long run. An f/4 interview, even on FF, is not going to give me the "look" I want. And AF is of no interest to me.

Either way I decide to go I do appreciate the feedback on the f/4 lens.

3. Collapse Details
    Usually when there are two versions of a similar product I will opt for the better one.
    so do I.
    I did the comparison just for curiosity. I wasn't in doubt if I should buy the lens or not.
    The AF matters as I use it about 20% for video and 80% for stills. For video the 24-70 is my
    mostly used go-to lens. For the 70-200 the AF is more important than one stop more.
    I will do another test with another copy though

4. Collapse Details
    I think if you are planing to use that range primarily off a tripod you want to go 2.8 if you are ging handheld the f4 for size and maneuverability. I’m covering the wide to portrait with three rangefinder Zeiss primes (28,35,85) and the Tele with a Zeiss 100macro and a Canon 200mm f2.8l which works for me as I shoot mostly handheld.

5. Collapse Details
    Paul, any buyer's remorse on the Panasonic 70-200 f/2.8?

I wasn't planning on buying any more native L-mount lenses for the S1H than my Sigma 35mm f/1.4. but now I find I'm using the camera even more than I thought I would. So I've got the urge to rely less on my vast assortment of PL and EF lenses and go native. The 70-200 is a perfect range for me and would probably live on my camera. I've got one sitting in my cart at B&H but haven't clicked the buy button yet. Thoughts? I wish it had a rear filter slot.
    Nope, very happy with the lens. And now have the 2x extender that was built to go with it. Another excellent addition. Keeps my bag light for those times when I need the reach, pop it on and it has proven to be sharp. Amazing how much better the extenders are then just five years ago.

6. Collapse Details
    I opted to go for the Lumix 70-200 f/2.8 and it arrived today. Beautiful lens inside and out. I can already tell this is the lens that will probably live on my S1H most of the time.
    Shooting wildlife tomorrow with the S1H in the morning and then a SpaceX launch just before midnight if the weather holds. Should be a great day of shooting, but hopefully it will be cooler. 92 record-breaking degrees today which is way too hot for March.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Just got my S1H today, along with the 24-70 f2.8 Panasonic lens. First thing I did was buy Doug’s class on Vimeo. Can’t wait to dive in.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
    Just got my S1H today, along with the 24-70 f2.8 Panasonic lens. First thing I did was buy Dougís class on Vimeo. Canít wait to dive in.
    Great! Thanks for your support.
    I have a question. I'm curious if my video played any role in your decision to get an S1H, or if were you getting one anyway. Just wondering.

9. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    Great! Thanks for your support.
    I have a question. I'm curious if my video played any role in your decision to get an S1H, or if were you getting one anyway. Just wondering.
    I was already getting an S1H. Your training course is just a no-brainer for anyone who has the camera.

I felt the same way about your FS7 training course. I just wish you had updated the music intro. ;)
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I do need to find some new music next time! I hate finding music so it is just easier to keep using what I already have.
    I will make a note to do a refresh next time around. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast