Thread: C300 mkiii?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    Except that he doesn't want the full frame, which appears to be a common request. I am guessing that Canon will be announcing some version of this type of the camera this year since it really does seem to be the hole in the line-up. It is basically the current C300 MK II, but with the improved body style, better frame rates, and a proper 4K sensor. My guess is that the sensor may actually be an 8K sensor downscaled to 4K, though. They've been testing the 8K S35 cinema camera for years so they might as well release it. They could add an expansion module that would allow you to output the 8K RAW as well.
    I'm really curious too to shoot some well lit scenes and flip back and forth between FF and S35 mode on the FX9. That'll be interesting.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Red Gemini 5K s35-APS H was cleaner than the Mini LF and possibly cleaner than the Venice in my comparisons. And cleaner than the alexa mini by a noticeable amount.

The Varicam 35 and 35 LT are 5.9K s35 and they are quite clean.

The BMP 4k m43 is doing some fantastic noise reduction and can handle iso 25,600

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    FF sensors are here to stay. Earlier the cost of fabricating a full frame sensor was too high, so they used to settle on APS-C. Time to dump s-35 glass.

Full frame cameras have bigger sensors and bigger pixels. So there is a big difference in noise between full frame sensors and APS-C sensors. Processor also makes a big difference. That is why the Canon C300 series with S-35 (which is close to APS-C) are good in low light. With all things remaining similar that is processor and sensor, the camera with bigger sensor will have better lowlight ability.

I come from photography background and still do wildlife photography. However, I use deep depth of field in many situations. I use shallow depth of field only where it is absolutely essential like some corporate interviews where the background is not great and better be blurred.

Recently we were shooting side by side. A black-headed ibis flew with a snake in its beak. I shot it with 1DXII and my partner shot with 80D. The difference between the two shots are like hell and heaven difference. The low light performance of the 1DXII is way better.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Red Gemini 5K s35-APS H was cleaner than the Mini LF and possibly cleaner than the Venice in my comparisons. And cleaner than the alexa mini by a noticeable amount.

The Varicam 35 and 35 LT are 5.9K s35 and they are quite clean.

The BMP 4k m43 is doing some fantastic noise reduction and can handle iso 25,600
    What's the obsession over "clean"? Didn't or don't you ever shoot film? ;-)

For me, too clean = video looking. That's my issue with RED, they look good, but super smooth, clean high end digital (as long as you illuminate the sensor with enough light. Have not shot the Gemini),
    the REDs look very different than the Arri's unless you do a lot in post with the image. There is a lot ot be said about just shooting Prores with the Arris, simple, straightforward and easy workflow. The
    RED software is great but it's not as simple and straightforward as dealing with Arri.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 02-17-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Canon with the original C300 was adding some noise to smooth out the 8 bit...and other than the clipped highlights, I always loved that picture.

Dan, when you test out the FX9, I'm curious if you look at some under and Hi ISO stuff while you're at it. My feeling is that camera is doing a lot of NR in the shadows and it ends up smearing more detail than it should, but I doubt I'll get a chance to play with it. The C500II seems to be very hands off with the NR, and I've experimented with 12,800, 25,600 and under shots with neat video and been rather impressed at how much detail survives...nothing like the C300II in that respect.

6. Collapse Details
    Isn't it ironic that not that long ago, we wanted a clean image and now that we have it, people want noise back in the image. Oh, I'm sorry, "texture" and "grain".

But yes, I understand what you're saying. The first V35 demo footage I saw, I thought it looked like "video" and I have seen a lot of RED footage that looked like video. Of course, I've also seen film originated content that I thought was video, so...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Of course, I've also seen film originated content that I thought was video, so...
    ROFL.
    Any time it hits a digit it has the potential to look "video."
    Ah the "purity" of film.
    It's like getting an organic banana and thinking it tastes like a hydroponic GMO one.
    Sounds like even film isn't always sacred to RnG.
    Last edited by Stills2HDConvert; 02-17-2020 at 12:49 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    The first Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 footage I saw, I thought it looked like "film" and I have seen a lot of Arriflex 435 footage that look like film. Of course, I've also seen video originated content that I thought was film, so...

Honestly, if I could get the Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 to look more like video I'd use it more. The Arriflex 435 is the closest I can get to looking video-like with a film camera, hence Arri being the industry standard.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Clean is the new black.

Also, shadow detail is the new highlight retention.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    What's the obsession over "clean"? Didn't or don't you ever shoot film? ;-)

For me, too clean = video looking. That's my issue with RED, they look good, but super smooth, clean high end digital (as long as you illuminate the sensor with enough light. Have not shot the Gemini),
    the REDs look very different than the Arri's unless you do a lot in post with the image. There is a lot ot be said about just shooting Prores with the Arris, simple, straightforward and easy workflow. The
    RED software is great but it's not as simple and straightforward as dealing with Arri.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast