Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    RF Explorer +11. I used work a lot in mid-town Manhattan (aka, RF hell) with G2 and G3s .

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DNN View Post
    Yeah, I've been trying the Rode Go as a hop. People laugh when I pull this out of my bag but it's actually much smaller and far lighter than my other transmitters.
    Once the Deity HD-TX becomes available, I think I'll use a setup like this when using my XT-3. Deity Reciever to Wireless Go transmitter. Wireless Go reciever to camera input. Perfect for gimbal use as the light Wireless Go can go on the camera with no problem. I'll probably try to get my hands on a foreign HD-TX and have recording redundancy. I am using the Wireless Go quite a bit for interviews, which works well in that situation, but for anything else range and blocking issue is too much. And I have a Sony UWP series when range and interference is more tricky in livestreaming situations. I just trust it more than any 2.4 Ghz system including Deity. (Though I haven't owned a Deity yet, so maybe I'll get more confident with it once I do.)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brettsherman View Post
    Once the Deity HD-TX becomes available, I think I'll use a setup like this when using my XT-3. Deity Reciever to Wireless Go transmitter. Wireless Go reciever to camera input. Perfect for gimbal use as the light Wireless Go can go on the camera with no problem. I'll probably try to get my hands on a foreign HD-TX and have recording redundancy. I am using the Wireless Go quite a bit for interviews, which works well in that situation, but for anything else range and blocking issue is too much. And I have a Sony UWP series when range and interference is more tricky in livestreaming situations. I just trust it more than any 2.4 Ghz system including Deity. (Though I haven't owned a Deity yet, so maybe I'll get more confident with it once I do.)
    CVP looks to have them in stock? https://cvp.com/product/deity-hd-tx-...itter-recorder
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Wideband is fast becoming a necessity but not all wideband is useful in all places. I have a couple sets of Lectro LT/LRs in A1 and that works well in LA. That covers blocks 19, 20 and 470. But I once rented some Lectros in B1 and had a tough time finding open frequencies for a downtown Los Angeles shoot, partly because B1 goes into the 600 range. What's worse was that I couldn't find much of anything in the block 22/23 range (563 - 600). All of my scans were a big impenetrable wall of black. Even block 21, I have one SMQV/411 in 21, is a bit iffy these days. I guess because of commercial use/broadcasts?

For those who still haven’t completely abandoned the idea of wireless, there are two things that can be very helpful in minimizing issues.

First, roughly $140 can get an RF Explorer. I keep one in my bag, and it comes out whenever I start a new production day (even in the same location as the day before, because things can change). No wireless system in my experience has a very reliable clear-scan function. It’s good at finding frequencies that are clear in that brief moment that it’s sweeping the spectrum, but isn’t good at seeing long-term or intermittent issues. Defeating squelch before doing a clear scan can help, but it’s still only momentary. The RF Explorer will show you everything that’s active in the area with constant readout. This is a much better way to avoid interference, and it’s much faster than waiting for the receiver to scan through.

Second, many of the newer systems out there are available in wideband: frequency blocks that cover several of the traditional blocks. Sennheiser’s ew512 in the AW+ band covers blocks 470, 19, and 20, and part of 21. Same with the Sony UWP-D21, but it doesn’t cover as much of block 21. On the high end, Lectro’s SRc (and certain transmitters) in their new A1 designation also cover 470, 19, 20, and part of 21. B1 covers the rest of 21, plus 22 and 23. Zaxcom’s wideband receiver covers 500MHz through 700MHz bands. Wysicom systems cover blocks 470 through (most of) 25. Versatility is key, especially in the US as more and more of our white space gets sold off.

5. Collapse Details
    I use the Tascam DR 10L with good results. But, you can't monitor the sound. That said, I used a fresh card and fresh lithium batteries, never had a problem. Of course I boom as well.

You can find the Tascan DR 10c on ebay or in European retailers, and some will ship to the U.S. But, you have to pair it up with a wireless transmitter, so talent is wearing two body packs. I love the idea of a backup recorder, or, better yet, a controllable and monitorable recorder. Zaxcom holds the patents on such a device in North America only.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
    I use the Tascam DR 10L with good results. But, you can't monitor the sound. That said, I used a fresh card and fresh lithium batteries, never had a problem. Of course I boom as well.

You can find the Tascan DR 10c on ebay or in European retailers, and some will ship to the U.S. But, you have to pair it up with a wireless transmitter, so talent is wearing two body packs. I love the idea of a backup recorder, or, better yet, a controllable and monitorable recorder. Zaxcom holds the patents on such a device in North America only.

Which should tell everyone something.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123