Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The Tentacle Sync E looks really interesting too (and probably a bit better than the Tascam if it allows for passthrough).
    The Tascam DR-10c also has passthrough (which works even if the unit's battery dies), which is pretty essential for such devices. The DR-10l version is crippled by having no passthrough, but that was made for the US market where the Zaxcom patent applies. But yes the upcoming Tentacle Sync E recorder may prove a better bet.

Cheers,

Roland

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Do yourself a favor and avoid the Røde Wireless Go, barely good enough for YouTubers standing 5' from their cameras.
    Wait for the Tentacle Track E, they're not shipping them until after NAB is what they told me.

The conclusion I've found with wireless is you 100% get what you pay for. The good stuff is Lectro and it's $3k per unit.
    A few others are good too but all cost in the same ballpark, Zaxcom, Wisycom and Audio Ltd. but Lectros are the industry standard.

Step down from there and you are into the Sennheisers, Deity Connect, Røde you are already using. None of these systems are as bulletproof as
    the good UHF stuff. The Sennheiser EWs are good but with the mods you want, over $1k per set and they're still not nearly as good as a good used Lectro.
    The 2.4Ghz systems can all sound really good but they are limited as to range and where they might work well and where they are useless. I have your same
    Røde and the Deity Connect and under the right circumstances, they can sound decent. But when they don't work, they just don't work and you are SOL.

The best strategy is to have both 2.4Ghz and good UHF and some Tascam DR10s or the Tentacles when they ship. Then you have three layers of alternatives and
    if things are crap for UHF AND 2.4Ghz (it's happened to me twice), you can still get good audio as long as you know how to rig a lavaliere correctly with the DR10 or the Tentacle. Thats the best
    you can do.
    I definitely think I'll wait for the Tentacle Sync E, the control interface of the Tascam just looks too finicky for someone using these things as infrequently as I do.

And I've no doubt you get what you pay for with these things, but with the recorder added inline between the lav and the transmitter, that would seem to take a lot of the pressure off the wireless system - as you no longer need it to be 100%.

The sound quality comparison tests I've seen between the Rodelink and the Wireless Go (when both are paired with lavs), seem close enough to make little difference for my needs - so if having the Wireless Go makes mounting both the transmitter and recorder to talent less of an issue overall, then that seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

3. Collapse Details
    And I've no doubt you get what you pay for with these things, but with the recorder added inline between the lav and the transmitter, that would seem to take a lot of the pressure off the wireless system - as you no longer need it to be 100%.
    Indeed, you can almost look at this the other way round: with a (decent) body-worn recorder you have a wired lav, and wireless monitoring! Obviously, workflow-wise, many professionals need multiple channels of decent wireless, but for others without such needs this means decent quality recording (with monitoring) at modest cost.

Cheers,

Roland

4. Collapse Details
    The sound quality comparison tests I've seen between the Rodelink and the Wireless Go (when both are paired with lavs), seem close enough to make little difference for my needs - so if having the Wireless Go makes mounting both the transmitter and recorder to talent less of an issue overall, then that seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
    You are right in terms of sound quality. I picked up a Rode Wireless Go when they first came out - for a very specific purpose, aware of the limitations (which are well reported and tested: e.g. line of sight, limited range etc. etc.) - and, putting it through its paces, I was pleasantly surprised: and this comes from being no lover of wireless fullstop!

Cheers,

Roland

5. Collapse Details
    Just know that the other major hurdle you have with the Wireless GO is that you lose pretty much all of its effective working range if you put the transmitter on the talent’s back. It just doesn’t have a decent transmission output, and a human body will absorb most of it. These systems have to be completely line-of-sight in order to work.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    Just know that the other major hurdle you have with the Wireless GO is that you lose pretty much all of its effective working range if you put the transmitter on the talent’s back. It just doesn’t have a decent transmission output, and a human body will absorb most of it. These systems have to be completely line-of-sight in order to work.
    Yes, that is the well-reported major limitation. Though, of course, the tiny transmitter can be hidden under clothing facing the receiver. Not so good if the talent is twisting and turning, or in a crowd. But, the odd drop-out is less of an issue if the body-worn recorder is the primary recording, as the OP seems to be wanting.

Cheers,

Roland

7. Collapse Details
    for emergency backup I have a couple of instamic's, easy to throw on the talent and better than nothing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12