Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Another go for EaseUS. I just used it recently. I don't know how much I paid back then, but It still got updated to a new version for free.
    Last edited by Pascal_Parvex; 02-21-2020 at 02:28 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by avian View Post
    I have the impression that one of the problems and maybe the problem is that your mac wants to write stuff to your card and when something goes wrong with the connection it will corrupt your cards.
    One way to get around this is to use a cardreader that has a read only function so apple doesnt mess with your cards.
    And why never use drag and drop?? what is the reasoning behind this?? it's never been a problem on windows for me and have been using drag and drop or copy/paste what ever is more convenient, am i missing something??
    At least with files from a Canon still cam and with Mac, if you drag & drop a file from the camera card, it gets “removed” from the card(probably just the root directory file name being deleted/marked saying it’s ok to write data into those blocks). I’ve seen it with both still image files and video files from a 5D, because it happened to me. So whenever I DL any Canon footage, whether it be from a C300 or 5D, I never drag & drop, anymore. Better to be safe than sorry. I also use a nice little piece of free software that automatically removes on eject the little hidden files that Macs write to cards and drives.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    At least with files from a Canon still cam and with Mac, if you drag & drop a file from the camera card, it gets “removed” from the card(probably just the root directory file name being deleted/marked saying it’s ok to write data into those blocks). I’ve seen it with both still image files and video files from a 5D, because it happened to me. So whenever I DL any Canon footage, whether it be from a C300 or 5D, I never drag & drop, anymore. Better to be safe than sorry. I also use a nice little piece of free software that automatically removes on eject the little hidden files that Macs write to cards and drives.
    Wow that is scary.... looks like mac os treats drag and drop as a move instead of copy operation????
    So to be safe we are back to write protecting our cards via the reader or on the card itself when possible

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by avian View Post
    Wow that is scary.... looks like mac os treats drag and drop as a move instead of copy operation????
    So to be safe we are back to write protecting our cards via the reader or on the card itself when possible
    But I’ve only seen it happen with Canon. Sony and Panasonic files remain on the cards. At least when using Finder. I think there are some file transfer programs that “remove” the files, too. I’ve gotten Sony cards back when I’ve been in environments with a data wrangler/DIT and the cards would look like they still have data on them, but no files would show up when you tried to play it back. I actually wanted to kill a DIT last year when something like this happened. Whatever he did to the card, when I put it back in camera and tried to format it the next morning, it locked my camera up a and I had to pull the battery to shut it down. It took multiple attempts to reformat the card. I was on the verge of calling the producer to get the DIT’s info and have it out with him.

5. Collapse Details
    I've been using Canon cameras for 15+ years (including 5D2, 3 and 4) and Macs for even longer and have never ever had this happen and I drag and drop and copy and paste from cards daily.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aygie View Post
    I've been using Canon cameras for 15+ years (including 5D2, 3 and 4) and Macs for even longer and have never ever had this happen and I drag and drop and copy and paste from cards daily.
    Keep touching wood. Never say never. Hope your good Karma stays with you.

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by aygie View Post
    If it was just me and just once(or twice) I'd say it was a fluke or bad luck, but I've had friends experience the exact same thing. Of course, I haven't gone through that in a long time, because well, you try to learn from your mistakes. Maybe I need to pop off some test shots just to see if it's still a 'thing'.

8. Collapse Details
    If it was just me and just once(or twice) I'd say it was a fluke or bad luck, but I've had friends experience the exact same thing. Of course, I haven't gone through that in a long time, because well, you try to learn from your mistakes. Maybe I need to pop off some test shots just to see if it's still a 'thing'.
    I know it might sound like a long shot but holding down the command key and dragging and dropping does do a "move" vs a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Keep touching wood. Never say never. Hope your good Karma stays with you.

Chris Young
    Don't get me wrong, not saying things can't go bad just that what we're saying here isn't expected behaviour so more so a bug rather than it's how MacOS works. In a previous life a ran an Apple repair centre and we saw just about every bug you can imagine so that made me very careful with my workflow, double backup and leave on the cards as long as possible!

9. Collapse Details
    Iíve been using Macs since 1996 and Canon gear since the 30D. I have only recently started using Hedge to move files, but before that it was all drag and drop. I have NEVER had the footage or images removed from the card by Finder.

Nor have I ever heard of this issue before this.

Thereís gotta be something else going on here.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12