Page 4 of 107 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    It's time for them to change...or classify the camera as a 1DC.

Just nonsense limits in cameras in 2020. (Just because something exists doesn't mean it's logical.)

I would try and justify it a bit if they must and say anything over $1000 should have no recording limit, but even Sony let it go with the $900 a6400. So if they can do it with an inexpensive consumer/prosumer camera like that, everyone can/should.

2. Collapse Details
    The Canon Rumors posters are giddy about the camera. Over 1,100 posts already (going back to the thread started on the 28th of January).

On the other hand, Matt Granger got 50% downvotes on his YouTube clip for urging his viewers to curb their enthusiasm.

I guess Canon intended to have a fuller reveal at CP+ but, now that CP+ is canceled, they should have three more months to finalize the specs for the PhotoKina in Köln (May, 27th-30th, assuming no more global emergencies).

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    The Canon Rumors posters are giddy about the camera. Over 1,100 posts already (going back to the thread started on the 28th of January).

On the other hand, Matt Granger got 50% downvotes on his YouTube clip for urging his viewers to curb their enthusiasm.
    Well, it is basically a higher res version of the 1DX III in a smaller body with an R mount. Based on specs, it is the camera most of the Canon enthusiasts have been wanting. I think it is either going to cost much more than people think, or it is going to some major limitations. Mostly, I think it will have some major crippling due to trying to keep it from overheating.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's time for them to change...or classify the camera as a 1DC.

Just nonsense limits in cameras in 2020. (Just because something exists doesn't mean it's logical.)

I would try and justify it a bit if they must and say anything over $1000 should have no recording limit, but even Sony let it go with the $900 a6400. So if they can do it with an inexpensive consumer/prosumer camera like that, everyone can/should.
    I did not know Sony offered a sub $1k camera with unlimited recording, that means the upcoming S model will have unlimited recording! I do agree though that it should become the norm, that's why I like Panasonic.

5. Collapse Details
    They've already had a couple after it with no limit so it seems that way.

6. Collapse Details
    Sony seems to have more heat issues with their small body ergonomic choices. So they were probably "hiding" behind the 30 min. limit on purpose. This is a big topic for the upcoming Canon 5R. If Canon keeps a 30 min. time limit it will offend many potential video buyers. But as the resolutions go stupidly up, heat will be an issue. They might need to have a system of time limits per resolution but that is just more complicated...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    Well, it is basically a higher res version of the 1DX III in a smaller body with an R mount...
    I would assume that 1D XMKIII would have superior processing power, codecs and capability to record and output Raw. It'll also be much heftier in hand and far more expensive.

. Based on specs, it is the camera most of the Canon enthusiasts have been wanting...
    If they're expecting a decent hybrid at a decent price, then the conclusion won't be known until the final specs and the final price are. Given the preceding years of Canon feature crippling, this is likely to be a decent stills camera but an average video camera due to a crop, codecs and whatever else Canon can think of.

And, given fairly tepid reviews of C500 MKII, it's also possible that Canon can't compete with Sony on pure sensor quality. And presuming 45 MPX rumors are in the ballpark, it'll fall significantly short of A7RIV on photo resolution. Which means it's also likely to be priced lower. Which is why I guessed $3,000. But, as Samuel speculated, it could rise a few hundred dollars higher too.

I think it is either going to cost much more than people think, or it is going to some major limitations..
    At $3,000, it'll have limitations on video, at least, compared to 1D XMKIII. And it'd make no sense for Canon to release two cameras at the same price point simultaneously. If counting roughly half way between EOS R and 1DX, then you get to about $4,000 of S1H. But, whereas Panasonic had no higher priced model to protect, Canon does.

Additionally, while R5 takes on a stills flagship role, R6 might be Canon's second camera as a videocentric response to the S1/S1R, Z6/Z7, A7III/A7RIV competitors. Which might explain why there is no A7SIII anywhere in the Sony lineup. If there were, it'd swallow the entire video portion of the market and the cartel seeks to have equal representation from all members.

Especially, if it's more or less the same camera under four different brands.

8. Collapse Details
    I would be content with 10bit codecs, no 30 min limit and no crop up to 4k30p. Like the Panny S1, I think that bar is fair from a technical point of view. Its 2020. The 1DX MKIII is quite a heavy video spec camera, so I want to have some optimism that time has caught up with the 8bit 4:2:0 regime. Even if they have to go to a 1 hour time limit for 4k and unlimited for 1080p that would be fine.

9. Collapse Details
    I really think Canon has decided to get in on the hybrid mirrorless market. They dismissed it for awhile, but the drop in the photography market and the constant online complaining has made them rethink the strategy. Canon did this R5 announcement right before the release of the 1DXIII to let the video people know they had a specific hybrid product aimed at them coming to the market. I just don't think it is going to be cheap. This camera might end up backfiring like the 1DC.

I also think there is going to be a big tradeoff between bit rates, resolution, and heat management. If this camera is going to be what video people want, it is going to have to have active cooling. The XC-10 had active cooling so it isn't out of range for Canon's design for hybrids, but photographers are not going to be happy.

10. Collapse Details
    It would be nice to forget about photography for a model or two. Just make a very specific video-oriented system in a stills body, even one that's modified a bit.

Even a XC10/15-like body with ND filters would be great. Something lightweight you can hold in your hands.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 4 of 107 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast