Thread: Sony ZV-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony ZV-1
    https://www.cinema5d.com/sony-zv-1-h...-for-vloggers/

Sony just announced a camera for vloggers. I'm not personally interested in it, but the camera costs <$1k and has a built-in ND filter (electronic, I assume). This makes me wonder if the A7SIII will have one as well.

(What's also interesting is that the camera has a Face Autoexposure mode which will keep the exposure balanced for your face, which seems like a much smarter autoexposure method than balancing the whole frame. Combined with Eye/Face AF, this seems like a really capable tool for amateurs and vloggers.)

UPDATE: it looks like Sony already introduced a built-in ND filter in a consumer body in the RX100 V (although they removed it in later versions of the camera?) On that camera, it was a 3-stop ND filter that was not electronic. So perhaps my interest is unwarranted.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 05-26-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    www.AbeHalpert.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    Wish Panasonic would offer electronic ND.

3. Collapse Details
    I think the ND was repleaced by having a '28-200' lens instead of the '24-70' with ND.

assume space was at a premium.

4. Collapse Details
    I think its all good apart from it is a sony. (buttons menu) cant mount on a tripod properly, cant change the battery, can/cannot power expternally.

still thinking about what it is (or isnt)

generally Im not sure I could go out with it.

5. Collapse Details
    Every time. lol

Again.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Really good walkthrough from Gerald Undone on YouTube. Doesn't really go wide enough for vlogging, also has funny 4k/24 with ibis on instead of 30p. AF seemed really good, rolling shutter was very good. I think the price is beyond what I will pay for a pocket video camera, maybe used when it falls enough, the lens would be good enough for a lot of the personal stuff I've done.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    This is just a Sony RX100V with mic in and a screen that folds to the side instead of up (where a hot shoe mic would block it). It's not a bad camera by any means, I still have my RX100IV (which is identical to the V but with much worse rolling shutter and somewhat worse AF) and it's a very powerful little monster. Still my travel camera to date. For vide I use it on a light and small gimbal that was designed for mobile phones.

I think it's a bit too expensive for its target audience. And it's not great to see Sony taking almost five years to add a mic in jack.

8. Collapse Details
    Just ordered mine, I will do some tests with it. Looks like it might be fun.

9. Collapse Details
    Makes me wonder if Sony will ever release an A7 SIII at all, period? They've kind of painted themselves into a corner with their traditional product hobbling/upselling strategy.
    I was working at the Sony DMPC a few months ago when I went to a few classes and asked every contact at Sony I know if they had even heard a peep, off the record, about the
    existence of an A7 SIII and all said they have heard zilch about one. These connections would probably have at least thrown me a subtle hint that something might be
    coming and I was met with universal "haven't heard a thing".

I wouldn't hold your breathe on that one. Could show up out of the blue but there are usually some subtle rumblings as it's getting ready to come to market and it's radio silence over there.
    Same with an FX6. My contacts were laughing at people getting all hyped over an FX6, they said it hasn't even been decided if one will be made at all while in the meantime on social media and forums
    everyone's acting like it already exists when it doesn't. Or at least didn't as of February 2020.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 06-11-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    There are several scenarios here. It's a good bet that there will be a video-centric camera from Sony under $4,000, likely under $3,500. It doesn't make much sense for them to release an A7RV with 61 MPX and 8K, so it ought to be closer to either R5 or S1H. Naturally, it wouldn't have to be called A7S XXX either.

Their plans have, obviously, taken a hit from Covid and the general decline of the photo-video industry due to smartphones. There are massive discounts right now on all kind of consumer gear. Under the circumstances, new product has to make a pretty decent leap forward to attract attention. So, it'll be something from Sony. We just don't have the name figured out yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast