Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    McMillions on HBO
    Loved the first two episodes of this docu-series on HBO about the McDonald's Monopoly game being rigged for 12 years. The filmmakers hit the jackpot on this, as the major players involved are all caricatures straight out of central casting. FBI agent Doug Matthews is like a Coen Brothers character. Then there's the gangsters, and their wives, and the 'winners' and all the details of their scam. Fully engrossing and well produced. Even if you don't normally watch documentaries, I highly recommend it. It's that entertaining.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

2. Collapse Details
    Wish I wasn't so cheap, I would have HBO. Have had it over the years on and off and every time I pay for it, I turn it off after a month or two because it's just the same stuff over and over again, so repetitive.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the recommendation. It's on my list - and hope to get to it tonight. As for the comment of HBO being repetitive .... well, have to disagree a bit. TV, in general, is very repetitive and often derivative. But I find myself watching HBO now more than Netflix & Amazon - and even the back catalogue is great to dive into. I'm cheap as well - but for what I feel is some pretty darn good content - $14.99 a month is worth it.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Wish I wasn't so cheap, I would have HBO. Have had it over the years on and off and every time I pay for it, I turn it off after a month or two because it's just the same stuff over and over again, so repetitive.
    It's that retirement strategy of yours that is working. I watched everyone around me have their boats, huge RVs, HBO subscription, and every other trinket. They are all are deep in debt and still working (one having bought their house 35 years ago and still owes $450,000 even though they bought it for under $100,000). I'm comfortably living the good life with no stress whatsoever. Keep at it Drift.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Talk about a rigged system ;)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    Loved the first two episodes of this docu-series on HBO about the McDonald's Monopoly game being rigged for 12 years. The filmmakers hit the jackpot on this, as the major players involved are all caricatures straight out of central casting. FBI agent Doug Matthews is like a Coen Brothers character. Then there's the gangsters, and their wives, and the 'winners' and all the details of their scam. Fully engrossing and well produced. Even if you don't normally watch documentaries, I highly recommend it. It's that entertaining.

Did you see King of Kong and fistful of quarters, or whatever it was called?

There is also this fantastic fantastic doc, short doc, that is about the paper work on guns in the USA. The characters are amazing. Brilliant film making!

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Talk about a rigged system ;)
    It's called greed. They could have so easily retired in their 40s, but greed guided their thoughts and now they struggle to deal with the mortgage. It's a classic story of greed overriding common sense. It's so easy to get caught up in it.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    It's called greed. They could have so easily retired in their 40s, but greed guided their thoughts and now they struggle to deal with the mortgage. It's a classic story of greed overriding common sense. It's so easy to get caught up in it.
    I hear that.

9. Collapse Details
    For those interested in the McMillions doc, the latest episode of the Cinematography Podcast has an extended interview with the filmmakers. They used Cooke glass for the interviews and Vantage anamorphics for the reenactments.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Did you see King of Kong and fistful of quarters, or whatever it was called?

There is also this fantastic fantastic doc, short doc, that is about the paper work on guns in the USA. The characters are amazing. Brilliant film making!
    Yeah, I saw King of Kong, great doc with similarly quirky characters. For quirky characters though, nothing beats Errol Morris's Vernon, Florida. It's about absolutely nothing, just a bunch of hicks in rural Florida pontificating on life and telling stories, but a truly amazing collection of personalities.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast