Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to provide fast viewing of footage during stage event?
    What would be a good way to accomplish this?
    Record a stage/competition event (around 7 hrs length, around 70 performances) with one camera angle.
    But while the event is happening people can come to a booth and view a particular performance that previously happened during that day to determine if they want to buy the recording.
    Last edited by firehawk; 02-11-2020 at 10:31 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    What would be a good way to accomplish this?
    Record a stage/competition event (around 7 hrs length, around 70 performances) with one camera angle.
    But while the event is happening people can come to a booth and view a particular performance that previously happened during that day to determine if they want to buy the recording.
    Rent or buy two used Atomos recorders, you can pick up used Ninja Blades for a few hundred bucks. One for shooting, one for viewing, easy to pop in an SSD in an Atomos sled. Side benefit is that
    you end up with a nice Prores HQ backup recording of your shoot.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Would people watch a single camera video? More importantly, have you ever tried the clearances for this. I tried it on a one day festival with 50 minute sets from a range of music acts, some fully professional tribute bands, some well known covers bands, some playing their own music and some very average amateurs. Two bands refused point blank , others wanted a hefty cut (70% of all income generated from the sales in perpetuity) and others said great - can we use it on our website. Getting cover songs cleared and paid for is a pain in the rear end.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Rent or buy two used Atomos recorders, you can pick up used Ninja Blades for a few hundred bucks. One for shooting, one for viewing, easy to pop in an SSD in an Atomos sled. Side benefit is that
    you end up with a nice Prores HQ backup recording of your shoot.
    Thank you. I have a couple Atomos Ninja blades already and am trying to figure out how this would work.
    Keep one Blade down at the booth and the other connected to the camera which is recording.
    Have several SSD in Atomos sleds.
    I see a problem with piling up a bunch of SSDs and then wasting time trying to find the performance each person wants to see on Blade.
    Maybe I don't understand

Maybe record in-cam to memory card and also record to Atomos. Have a pair of SSDs and every few performances or so swap out the SSD back and forth and copy to a computer so the computer would have all the video files on it and in a number order so they could be found quickly when person comes up and says I want to see #38 and the next guy wants to view #12 etc.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Would people watch a single camera video? More importantly, have you ever tried the clearances for this. I tried it on a one day festival with 50 minute sets from a range of music acts, some fully professional tribute bands, some well known covers bands, some playing their own music and some very average amateurs. Two bands refused point blank , others wanted a hefty cut (70% of all income generated from the sales in perpetuity) and others said great - can we use it on our website. Getting cover songs cleared and paid for is a pain in the rear end.
    Thanks. They want single camera and the budget doesn't allow for our usual multicam work. The competition company has gotten permission.

6. Collapse Details
    Thank you. I have a couple Atomos Ninja blades already and am trying to figure out how this would work.
    Keep one Blade down at the booth and the other connected to the camera which is recording.
    Have several SSD in Atomos sleds.
    I see a problem with piling up a bunch of SSDs and then wasting time trying to find the performance each person wants to see on Blade.
    Maybe I don't understand

Maybe record in-cam to memory card and also record to Atomos. Have a pair of SSDs and every few performances or so swap out the SSD back and forth and copy to a computer so the computer would have all the video files on it and in a number order so they could be found quickly when person comes up and says I want to see #38 and the next guy wants to view #12 etc.
    That's what I was thinking. If you swapped out a new drive perhaps every 30 minutes, it wouldn't be too hard to find a specific performance? Just label the drives perhaps with a time stamp reflecting the TOD so they are kept organized and people can find what they're looking for?

7. Collapse Details
    How long is each performance? And how much time (approx) between them?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    How long is each performance? And how much time (approx) between them?
    Not sure. Might be a couple/few minutes long and the breaks in between will vary probably ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes
    Last edited by firehawk; 02-12-2020 at 01:38 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    That's what I was thinking. If you swapped out a new drive perhaps every 30 minutes, it wouldn't be too hard to find a specific performance? Just label the drives perhaps with a time stamp reflecting the TOD so they are kept organized and people can find what they're looking for?
    Thank you. The possible issue I see there is a line of people waiting to screen whichever performance they are interested in and needing to be able to very quickly find and play it.
    If I ended up with 5 drives of performances seems that might end up bottlenecking things when one guy in line wants to see act #4 which is on drive 1 file 4, and the guy right after him wants to see act 40 which is on drive 3 file 7 etc...
    Should work but several hours of searching back and forth as people continuously come to view all day long won't be too fun

10. Collapse Details
    Thank you. The possible issue I see there is a line of people waiting to screen whichever performance they are interested in and needing to be able to very quickly find and play it.
    If I ended up with 5 drives of performances seems that might end up bottlenecking things when one guy in line wants to see act #4 which is on drive 1 file 4, and the guy right after him wants to see act 40 which is on drive 3 file 7 etc...
    Should work but several hours of searching back and forth as people continuously come to view all day long won't be too fun
    Yeah, I don't think there is a perfect solution for your situation. Maybe if you had someone at that table or popup, quickly logging all of the TC for each performance? Maybe you could somehow notate the start and stops for each as you shoot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast