Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

The post by jcs is hidden due to low votes. Click the arrow to the right to expand it.

1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Note the above post was not intended to put anyone down, only to raise awareness. We've all done a little bit of NPD behavior from time to time.

This test can be useful for self reflection: https://naomimailhot.com/the-cube-pe...eal-about-you/

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    But you are pro Canon. Hey, i want to be, but i am still butt hurt about the 1DC.

And you made fun of forum antics. Or was that not poking fun of forum behavior? Am i not supposed to laugh at your jokes?

Sarcasm and rhetorical questions are sometimes difficult to read on a forum, so i donít like to assume.
    I'd say I'm "pro good information" :-)

I LOL'd the 1DC joke.

I really hoped my jokes would diffuse any tension at me taking aim at ranty canon bashing, so, yes. you were supposed to laugh.

I wasn't being sarcastic. ("written with Love"). I'd say I was being Hopeful. Optimistic. Maybe a little ironic, but not sarcastic. :-)

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    But you are pro Canon. Hey, i want to be, but i am still butt hurt about the 1DC.
    Hey! The 1D C once was my dream camera I never got. Right now my dream camera is whatever entry RF cinema camera Canon (soon?) brings out. On the other hand I am completely broke, so...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal_Parvex View Post
    Hey! The 1D C once was my dream camera I never got. Right now my dream camera is whatever entry RF cinema camera Canon (soon?) brings out. On the other hand I am completely broke, so...
    In many ways, the 1DC still is my dream camera. Canon just abandoned it, and i put money on the concept hoping there’d be enough buyers to keep them developing the idea of a dslr/mirrorless video camera. And if they had allowed Magic Lantern to havk it, it might actually have been a true classic camera.

The R is shaping up to be interesting.

5. Collapse Details
    The problem is not that Canon didn't launch good mirrorless cameras. The problem was that the DSLRs of Canon didn't give better value to video users and Sony exploited that. The Magic Lantern hack made many people believe that Canon is knowingly crippling the video part of its cameras. I think it is more to do with the lack of power of processors that Canon employed in their cameras. RED makes cameras with sensors that are not great in lowlight. However, they are able to offer slow motion and that is dependent on the processing ability. Canon would never give say a short duration ability to record slowmo like say Sony FS700. If some of the initial DSLRs would have given the ability to record 4K video for say 30 seconds or so, then indies would have used it.

The specs of the 1DXIII is way better than any mirrorless camera available today. So technology wise DSLR can still compete and will compete if there are enough buyers. Canon made some mistakes to protect its lineup. For example it didn't give the 1DXII any video specific goodies like c-log, waveform, peaking etc. They wanted to protect their C300II. Else, 1DXII would have been a great bet. I still use the 1DXII. I quickly realised that there is no demand for C300 II and eliminated it from my portfolio. So continued with original C300 and 1DXII and hire when some specific camera is necessary.

Even though folks here are grumbling about FX9 vs C500 II, those are for different target markets. For low end corporates C500 II can be overkill if C200 already fits the bill.

I am still earning from my original C300.

As far as DSLRs are concerned, I would prefer those over mirrorless due to the optical viewfinder. There is an autooff mode in the DSLRs and I can keep on tracking wildlife without spending battery power and quickly start recording whereas cinema cameras take long time to boot up. Not sure how fast the C500 II will boot up. Waiting to first test it. The tests and posts by Barry has been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Clermond View Post
    this is getting off topic..

Canon made horrible mistakes. Remember that in the first yrs the DSLR market was almost completely in their hands.

From this position they missed semi professional mirrorless video cameras completely and left this market to Sony's A7 series and Pana GH3/4/5. They where years too late with professional mirrorless cameras for advanced and professional photographers. And when they brought one out very very late the EOS R it had no IBIS and only 30MP. They did not get anyone to switch from another brand. The DSLR product line is still outdated. That's fatal in a shrinking market.
    I am not sure where the market of a 1DX MIII at a price point of 7,300Ä is? Press photographers? Do they need RAW video?

The Cinema series could have been a game changer but for the specs the cameras where always too expensive. The C300 was overpriced and so was the C300II. The price drop came too late when Sony was selling FS7 like crazy. Canon could have dominated the market with their unique DP AF but with the price tag of 16k they opened the door for the FS7. Imagine how many people swallowed the bitter pill of Sony's skin tones just because Canon was much more expensive.
    Crippling the C200 to protect the C300II wasn't a good idea either. Instead of bringing a C300III with internal 10bit 60p and a C300R with the 10bit 60p plus RAW they left this market blank. Sony learned the lesson and improved the color science and added the AF from the A7 series. Canon is still sticking at high prices. Look at the result of the Full Frame Cine Camera Shootout. Does anyone think the C500II will show up at big productions? ARRI is still the landmark. RED is kinda established also. C700 was a flop. FX9 will sell a lot for the big market of corporate film. The FX9 is 5K cheaper than the C500II and Sony has closed the gap to Canon's unique territory AF and colors. Where's the market for a C500II except for C300II owners who do not want to leave the system? Do you think a Sony or RED owner will switch?
    It's not the smartphones who killed them. That's a lame excuse. Smartphones harmed low price portrait photographers but not professional film makers. It's the disastrous combination of being slow and too expensive. my 2cts

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by indiawilds View Post
    Not sure how fast the C500 II will boot up. Waiting to first test it. .
    Its pretty fast. Somebody posted that it was 5 seconds...vs the C200 at 8 seconds. Might be faster than that.

I have to say that the 1DXIII looks like a nice companion camera to the C500II, or for 1DC fans, a replacement for that aging DSLR ...and the AF seems to be "next step" for canon in terms of the machine learning AI part. I sense in my use of the C500 that there is some of that going on with it as well...it seems to very quickly recognize a face that has left the frame or disappeared once it re-emerges.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    Its pretty fast. Somebody posted that it was 5 seconds...vs the C200 at 8 seconds. Might be faster than that.
    Just checked 3 seconds for the c500ii vs 6.5 secs for the c300ii. It feels very fast.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345