Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. Collapse Details
    Prime lens with autofocus
    #1
    Default
    Hi there,

    This is my first post on the forum and I apologize in advance if this is a bit of a newbie question.

    I'm purchasing the C500 ii and looking at investing in lenses. I'm going to be using the camera for both run and gun work and also creative cinematic style promos done in a studio.
    I want to use the autofocus capabilities of the camera. For the run and gun, i'll be getting a 24-70MM F2.8L II, 70-200MM F2.8L, maybe a CANON 16-35MM F2.8 III.

    However, I do want a set of prime lenses too. I thought the Canon CN-E EF mounted lenses would be a good choise as they would give that nice bokeh and warm look while still maintaining the autofocus capabilities. However, after speaking to the company I'm buying from, they advised that the CN-E lenses don't offer much improvement in terms of optics compared to the L-series lenses. They also don't autofocus.

    Does anybody know if this is true? If it is, that's a huge saving on my part. Are there any cine primes that do offer autofocus?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member Jaime Valles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,099
    Default
    Good question. I'm not aware of dedicated cinema prime lenses with built-in auto focus motors (aside from some new Panavision lenses that none of us can buy). Usually cine lenses are focused either by hand or with the use of a wireless follow focus and external motors.

    If you're planning on using the C500 II auto focus capabilities, then your best (only?) option is to use still photo lenses. Canon makes some superb fast primes in EF mount which should work great with AF. I would think you're better off using Canon brand lenses instead of other third-party lenses to ensure the best AF control.
    Jaime Vallés
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Default
    Ah ok, so then Canon's L-series lenses should be a good option (even though they are still lenses and not cine).

    I'm sure there is an appetite for cine lenses that have autofocus capabilities with this new camera. There must be filmmakers out there who want to use the cine glass but take advantage of the great AF options this camera has.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,796
    Default
    There are hundreds (maybe thousands) who'd like that, and it seems like Sony will be the first to finally embark on the journey on this level, but it's never been available before as these kind of cinema systems with usable AF have only existed for a couple of years (all from Canon). Sony released its first one late last year.

    Photo lenses have always been what most people use on all of these cameras with the occasional bigger project, budget, experimentation asking for more. In Hollywood and the like, it's normally the complete opposite (but that may change a bit in the years ahead).


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    318
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by seanadl View Post
    Ah ok, so then Canon's L-series lenses should be a good option (even though they are still lenses and not cine).

    I'm sure there is an appetite for cine lenses that have autofocus capabilities with this new camera. There must be filmmakers out there who want to use the cine glass but take advantage of the great AF options this camera has.
    Some of the CN-E primes are optically very similar to their L series brethren. Others are unique. The new sumire primes are of a new design. Canon makes a couple of cine zooms that have AF, but they are s35.

    I’ve found that the AF algorithms on the c500ii work well to smooth out some of the ‘still af’ tendencies of the older ef lenses, and so if you are looking for lenses with canon characteristics their entire ef line works generally pretty well.

    CN-E lenses are cine lenses, meaning they are built for manual focus pulling, and may be designed to control breathing, and not necessarily to have superior optics. If you need/want Af capabilities you are essentially asking for an electronic focus (EF) lens, not a cine lens. Combining AF and long throw dampened manual focusing in a lens is a trick, and While canon has made those few hybrid zoom lenses, I’m not sure we’ll see many more. More likely that we’ll continue to see advancements in af technology in both ef and rf mounts.
    Last edited by Barry G; 02-10-2020 at 05:20 AM.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member Liam Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Worldwide
    Posts
    3,108
    Default
    I use the Sigma Art Primes on the Canon C500 MKII. Fast, sharp and great value.
    New Website: www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @FilmLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,575
    Default
    has anyone tested the Sigma Art 24-70/2.8 in terms of AF? I was going to sell it but if it works with the C500II I might keep it.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,463
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    There are hundreds (maybe thousands) who'd like that, and it seems like Sony will be the first to finally embark on the journey on this level, but it's never been available before as these kind of cinema systems with usable AF have only existed for a couple of years (all from Canon). Sony released its first one late last year. ...
    Yup. Sony has AF cine lenses - based on their G-master, one assumes - but no 6K. Canon has 6K but no AF cine glass. Whudafuguredat?

    And Canon does have some excellent RF-mount lenses already out ... but it ain't got 6K in RF. Yet. Some announcements should be just around the corner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    ... CN-E lenses are cine lenses, meaning they are built for manual focus pulling, and may be designed to control breathing, and not necessarily to have superior optics. If you need/want Af capabilities you are essentially asking for an electronic focus (EF) lens, not a cine lens. Combining AF and long throw dampened manual focusing in a lens is a trick, and While canon has made those few hybrid zoom lenses, I’m not sure we’ll see many more. More likely that we’ll continue to see advancements in af technology in both ef and rf mounts.
    Canon is on the record that it is not developing any new EF lenses. EF is at the end of its line, as the company is switching to the mirrorless in its consumer and pro product. The third party manufacturers are likely to follow suit.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    318
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    I use the Sigma Art Primes on the Canon C500 MKII. Fast, sharp and great value.
    I’ve been looking to replace my 50L 1.2 with the sigma 1.4 art. Is the af on the sigmas responding well to the new algorithms?


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    318
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post

    Canon is on the record that it is not developing any new EF lenses. EF is at the end of its line, as the company is switching to the mirrorless in its consumer and pro product. The third party manufacturers are likely to follow suit.
    This has been a case where the headline story has never really matched the actual quote from the senior pro product manager that made it..

    “As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system, Shepherd tells Digital Camera World. “To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system.

    “And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •