1. Collapse Details
    help mounting camera
    I have a Sony HDR-CX580. I would like to mount it on the ceiling as a second source for live streaming. The problem is how to turn it off and on. I have a few options and would like any input about any of them.
    1) Leave it on all the time. Is this a bad thing?
    2) Get a ladder to reach it each time. Not very convenient and not crazy about having to do this.
    3) Is there a remote way to turn it on and off?

Also, It will be an easy matter to run an extension cord and an HDMI cable in the attic to the camera. I also considered some sort of wired solution like LANC, but those typically do not come with a 30 foot cable and usually don't have the ability to turn the camera on and off. We also don't need focus or pan and tilt as that will be "set and forget".

2. Collapse Details
    If you don't want to physically get to the camera, I imagine you wouldn't be running it off of battery power or changing settings, so maybe consider just killing the power on your end while it's running off of AC (like switching off the strip).

You can also use an external recorder to monitor AND record.

For the record, I'd use the ladder.
    Retired.

3. Collapse Details
    Sony FS7 do not close the file properly if you just pull the power. I dont know about your sony but pulling the power does not sound like a solution.

4. Collapse Details
    It's a consumer-like camera, maybe test it first.

Not many other choices left if you don't use a recorder, LANC, or wireless camera remote.
    Retired.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the input. The camera is only for live streaming - no memory even installed in the camera. I stumbled onto something I had not heard of before. Remote controlled outlets. I would still have to use the ladder to turn it on, but could just press the button to turn off the power. Also, I looked at the remote that comes with the camera, but it does not have the on/off function - only play/record/stop, etc.
    As I said in my OP, the camera is about 35 feet away, so the LANC option would only work if there were a 35-40 foot cable available for the LANC.

6. Collapse Details
    There are 25', 50' LANC extension cables...would have to test to see if it works with your system, but it looks like that's not going to be an option anyway.
    Retired.

7. Collapse Details
    I have solved one problem and discovered another one. If I remove the battery from the camera, I can plug the charger in and it powers up. A simple power strip with on/off switch then solves the problem.
    The other problem is that I want to mount this camera on the ceiling, but mounted upside down (so it can be as close to the ceiling as possible). If I do that, the image is now upside down. I am using vMix as the streaming software, but not sure it can invert the image. Is there something I can do so the image is right side up (180 degrees if mounted upside down)?

EDIT: I have actually done some research into the software and it is possible to invert the image in the software. Thanks for the help - looks like I am good to go.
    Last edited by donnyb; 02-11-2020 at 08:55 AM.