1. Collapse Details
    very strange crashing problem Premiere CS6
    Been working hard on an important project and finished it. But now can't export it. Crashes. Weird thing is I can't even scroll the timeline back to the beginning because as soon as a certain part near the beginning even starts to appear on the screen Premiere will instantly vanish/close to the desktop without even an error message.
    So I can't even put the workbar area over the entire project. Nor can I look to see exactly where it's having the problem. I'm guessing it's a transition I did on top of some footage that was up-ressed with Instant HD plugin but I can't tell for sure. Yesterday I was playing from the timeline all the way through with no crashes. Now I can't even scrub it.
    I started a new sequence and important the old sequence into that one and tried to export and it crashed but gave an error at least.
    It's like that part of the timeline can't even appear on screen or else.

I'm at a loss. I've never had this weird problem. I've had projects before where a certain part couldn't play or render without crashing so then you just delete or change that part but you can't even allow the timeline of this part to appear on screen to do anything or even see exactly where the problem is!

The project is 23 minutes long.
    So I opened an older version of the project and now it crashes there too.

Using the oldest version of the project I have, if I scroll really fast as soon as I open the project I can get back to the start of the project. (If I'm not fast enough it crashes before I can get all the way back to the beginning.)
    So I turned off all the eye balls on the video layers so no red render bars and no video showed up. When I get to about 3:44 on the screen from the left almost immediately Premiere crashed to desktop again, no warnings. That seems to be the magical spot where it crashes no matter what. Somewhere between 3:44 and 4:14
    It worked yesterday. I just don't get it.
    So I've got about 30 seconds of a project I can't even look at.

Win7 pro. Premiere CS6
    Last edited by firehawk; 02-07-2020 at 09:28 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    The same thing has happened to me before in FCP X over the years. Sometimes a random plugin makes the timeline very sensitive and scrubbing over the area usually triggers a crash. Sometimes it's more random and the software will crash in other ways as you've mentioned.

If you have time to disable what's causing the corruption (an effect, transition, etc) that should fix everything. However, if the crashing is so persistent that you can't, I've personally solved my issues by opening up the project on a different computer that didn't have the plugins. FCP X would just ignore everything because it didn't know what it was. Then I would delete what I think is causing it (usually you have a feeling what it is or could be), and bring it back to the main computer.

You should also duplicate your library or whatever it is called in Adobe. Something completely separate from what you're currently working in (and not just a copy/duplicate of the timeline in the same work space).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you very much.
    This is weird. I tried to export the project so I could open it on my laptop which is setup identical but it gave me an error and wouldn't export.

Then I read your message and simply copied the project file onto my other laptop that doesn't have any plugins.
    I finally found that one brief clip was now causing the crash.
    A few days ago I had hastily created an SD avi of a special effect clip rendered apparently in 30fps (not drop frame) on accident, according to Premiere.
    So in premiere I had edited a 30 sec scene which included a few seconds of the 30fps clip. Then I copied those edits from that sequence to the main sequence.
    Well all week premiere was fine with it. But today that clip caused the orginal sequence and main sequence to crash. Any site of that clip did it.
    So I started a new project and imported just that avi clip. It said 30fps. So I exported it as 29.97.

The main project is 720P at 30 fps and it includes both HD and SD (480i) footage. So with the problem clip now at 480i at 29.97 premiere is happy again.
    Somehow I exported that clip wrong from 3ds max.
    What a weird problem. If I could give you 10 thumbs up (likes) I would NorBro.
    I never would have thought to open it on my computer that doesn't have all the software installed.

In the midst of all this tonight Windows 7 decides I can't restart or shut down my computer via the usual way. Some weird glitch is widespread and making news apparently.

This is a pretty emotional important video about my friend who died and it may help save some lives of our other friends so I've been trying really hard to get it done this week.
    Now if I can get it exported and shared to FB....2 hrs to go on export..
    Last edited by firehawk; 02-07-2020 at 11:32 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm happy it helped and I hope everything else goes well.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Thank you. Got it exported and uploaded. You may have played a part in helping save some lives from self destruction. We'll see. Thank you