Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    That is why i say being up to date is over rated. I can get a much higher ratio for the camera day rate on lower specc’d or older gear.

What kind of companies do you work for?
    Based upon what I've seen and experienced, if your clients shoot a lot and are a little bit of a techno nerd, they care about and want to shoot on RED, Arri, etc. because they know that's what Hollywood uses. If your clients never have or rarely are involved in production, they generally don't care what you shoot on.
    I have a few like Hallmark Channel where they will only hire you if you own a certain camera. I also agree, the curve is waaaay behind what is new and state of the art. There still plenty of clients who are very happy with the C300 MKI. I have one client who owns
    five of them in house (healthcare) so when they hire me, we usually shoot with their C300 MKIs. VERY few clients will be asking for an FX9 or C500 MKII for a long time IMHO.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Based upon what I've seen and experienced, if your clients shoot a lot and are a little bit of a techno nerd, they care about and want to shoot on RED, Arri, etc. because they know that's what Hollywood uses. If your clients never have or rarely are involved in production, they generally don't care what you shoot on.
    I have a few like Hallmark Channel where they will only hire you if you own a certain camera. I also agree, the curve is waaaay behind what is new and state of the art. There still plenty of clients who are very happy with the C300 MKI. I have one client who owns
    five of them in house (healthcare) so when they hire me, we usually shoot with their C300 MKIs. VERY few clients will be asking for an FX9 or C500 MKII for a long time IMHO.
    A friend of mine says, s35 - FF35 isn’t the same transition as 2/3” - s35 was. For some segments, maybe AF is/will be.

The Fs7 and C300mk1 were “game changer” cameras, and there is little reason to jump on the next update. Just not a lot of return for clients.

As a shooter, i love all updates. I love good cameras. But clients can’t and won’t benefit or pay for an Fx9 for me.

The question isn’t whether a camera meets my needs, but does the camera do what clients pay for.

For personal use, i’ve owned the 1DC, F35, and Red Gemini.... i don’t use them for work, because clients don’t need it. They don’t ask for it. And they don’t pay for it. But i’d rather shoot with a nice camera than own some car.

3. Collapse Details
    But i’d rather shoot with a nice camera than own some car.
    I've owned some nice cars. To me, the nicest cars are the ones that are paid off. I'd rather have a paid off Honda
    than a Lamborghini or Jaguar with a $2,500.00 per month payment. And I'd rather have a Honda or Toyota paid off
    and a nice camera or two also. Cars lose you money, cameras can make you money at least.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I've owned some nice cars. To me, the nicest cars are the ones that are paid off. I'd rather have a paid off Honda
    than a Lamborghini or Jaguar with a $2,500.00 per month payment. And I'd rather have a Honda or Toyota paid off
    and a nice camera or two also. Cars lose you money, cameras can make you money at least.
    That’s true. Occasionally the ‘nice’ cameras get me a passion project with some cool or fun people, and sometimes it pays for itself. But for work, my camera choices are much more practical, because the camera isn’t for me, it is for them.
    Last edited by James0b57; 03-15-2020 at 06:17 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    That is why i say being up to date is over rated. I can get a much higher ratio for the camera day rate on lower specc’d or older gear.

What kind of companies do you work for?
    Largely network or production companies serving networks.

Yeah, they're not quite as hung-up on the "latest and greatest".

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Largely network or production companies serving networks.

Yeah, they're not quite as hung-up on the "latest and greatest".
    Yeah, networks seem like the only thing that both pays well and is somewhat interesting. NC didn’t have much of a creative industry when i was out there. Pretty place though. I liked the quality of life quite a bit.

7. Collapse Details
    Yeah, networks seem like the only thing that both pays well and is somewhat interesting. NC didn’t have much of a creative industry when i was out there. Pretty place though. I liked the quality of life quite a bit.
    Used to have a LOT of production. Now, not so much. Partially because of the last governor doing away with the film tax credits. But yes, it’s a nice place to live. I have mountains only about an hour/hour and a half to my west, the beach and ocean a few hours to the east and lakes, trees and woods all around. Not to mention a fairly affordable cost of living. Oh yeah, and an international airport hub about 20-25 minutes away and all four seasons(if you can stand the humidity in the summer). So yeah, quality of life is good here. The “bad” thing, everyone else has figured it out, too and there has been a big influx of people over the last several years and it is causing the same problems that other popular areas of the country have: increased traffic, climbing real estate prices and housing shortages.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718