1. Collapse Details
    NVMe M.2 to SATA adapter?
    I have this duplicator
    https://www.startech.com/HDD/Duplica...ck~SDOCK2U313R
    which I use to make a clone of my system drive once everything is installed/working. It works great and saves tremendous time but now I need to clone M.2 drive.

I have this drive: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

NVMe duplicators are very expensive so I was wondering if I could adapt the NVMe drive to a SATA connection (like a regular SSD drive) and then use my existing duplicator to clone it. It would slow it down during cloning but so what.
    Any suggestions?
    Last edited by firehawk; 02-03-2020 at 08:16 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    No one seems to make an NVMe M.2 to Sata adapter. I cloned a system to an NGFF M.2 SSD with a SATA adapter, which you can find super cheap on Amazon.
    Last edited by Batutta; 02-03-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Seems no one makes NVMe to SATA adapter but here is a possible workaround solution provided by StarTech:

1. USBDUP12 – Which is a USB flash drive duplicator and eraser.

2. M2E1BMU31C – Which is a NVMe M.2 to USB-C adapter.

3. USB31AC1M – Which is a USB-C to USB-A adapter.

For this solution, insert your M.2 NVMe drive to the M2E1BMU31C, once installed use the USB-C to USB-A (USB31AC1M) to connect it to the flash drive duplicator (USBDUP12), if we’re looking to duplicate two M.2 NVMe drives then you would need two of M2E1BMU31C and two of USB31AC1M.

-------------
    I already have a USB duplicator so I guess I'll get two sets of both adapter cables (2) and (3) and see if it works.
    The time spent cloning is well worth it in my opinion because its saves many hours if you ever have to set up your system again.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    I have the same StarTech duplicator dock...

Why not go the software route ?

I've been using Acronis True Image for more than a decade now, and it can create complete drive images that can be restored by booting from a USB key and then loading the drive image that you want to restore. It's incredibly powerful software that can back-up: new files, specific folders, drive partitions, an entire drive, or multiple entire drives. It also lets you resize your drive partitions on the fly. It's also super fast, unlike the StarTech duplicator dock that can take an entire day or more with a large drive, you can image the same drive 20 times faster with Acronis True Image. It's also available for both Mac and Windows.

5. Collapse Details
    The question is, is NVMe worth the hassle? On paper it's faster than NGFF, but the benefits only seem to be when transferring very large files. As a system drive, the speed advantage doesn't seem to be felt much when using NVMe vs NGFF.
    Last edited by Batutta; 02-03-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog