Thread: FX9 success?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Yes BUT WITH THE R7.. !!!! FFS .. .. a $7,000 .. very optional add on.... its not just like a battery or needing too buy SxS cards !.. And Red peaking is not a sign of an idiot .. in usual form.. Doug comes flying in.. calling everyone a fool and a dumb arse.. when he needs to stop and think before he posts .. what I said was totally accurate .. Doug was mistaken .. the OP never mentioned the R7 RAW recorder.. Doug simply could have said I can record 120fps with the R7 recorder .. but not in camera .. but he chose to jump in with both feet ..being rude ,dismissive and bombastic.. and this time I decided to call him on it.. I will not be on the end of this old blow hards barbs .. Red peaking is for people who are fools and what they can can be dismissed !!..I mean really who else is getting away with this ..
    Last edited by Donny 123; 03-26-2020 at 05:02 PM.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Yes BUT WITH THE R7.. !!!! FFS .. .. a $7,000 .. very optional add on.... its not just like a battery or needing too buy SxS cards !.. And Red peaking is not a sign of an idiot .. in usual form.. Doug comes flying in.. calling everyone a fool and a dumb arse.. when he needs to stop and think before he posts .. what I said was totally accurate .. Doug was mistaken .. the OP never mentioned the R7 RAW recorder.. Doug simply could have said I can record 120fps with the R7 recorder .. but not in camera .. but he chose to jump in with both feet ..being rude ,dismissive and bombastic.. and this time I decided to call him on it.. I will not be on the end of this old blow hards barbs .. Red peaking is for people who are fools and what they can can be dismissed !!..I mean really who else is getting away with this ..
    Donny, chill out. You're gonna burst a blood vessel. I thought I would let you have the last word earlier today and I wouldn't get into it with you any further, but then you go on a tirade against me again. Apparently you have some sort of deep seated hatred towards me that causes you to see evil intentions in my posts. Do I have strong opinions? Yes. Do I feel there is a right way and wrong way to use a camera? Absolutely. If you disagree, then go ahead and use the camera any way you want to. I can't stop you. But that doesn't change my opinion or my right to voice it.

I am not the one who said . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    s35 4K is totally fine.. same as the f5/55 .. the only reason to shoot in 2K mode is for HFR .. because you have to..
    That is a false statement. The F55 can do 4K @ 120 fps with an R7 or 4K @ 60 fps without an R7. Both are HFR and neither one requires the use of 2K mode. Does it make you happy that I included the R7 in my statement this time? I didn't think it was necessary before, but I guess it is. Gotta a spell it all out.

In my opinion, the judgement, advice, and all-around knowledge of a camera is immediately called into question for anyone who uses colored peaking on an FS7, FX9, F55, Z280, Z450, Z750, etc. And that goes to the very the heart of the issue here where someone (not you) is throwing around inaccurate statements about a camera they clearly don't understand. It is not a requirement for an operator to know everything about a camera, but it is poor judgement to take the unnecessary step of making public statements that are wrong. I can't sit by and let some great cameras get pissed on by people who don't understand them. Go ahead and disagree with me about colored peaking if you want to, but colored peaking is a consumer-level feature and vastly inferior in every way to normal peaking. It is inconceivable to me how a professional could use it, recommend it, or defend it on a camera that offers a vastly superior alternative.

With that said, I will repeat that I stand behind everything I've said on this thread -- even though you seem to think that you have found some flaw in my statements. You're wrong about that too.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-26-2020 at 08:12 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Damn, looks like I’ve been using peaking wrong for years. I guess that means all of my in-focus shots were really out of focus. Good to know.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Milligan View Post
    Damn, looks like I’ve been using peaking wrong for years. I guess that means all of my in-focus shots were really out of focus. Good to know.
    Joshua, if you use a screwdriver to pound a nail it will eventually go into the wood and the final results may ultimately be exactly the same as if you'd used a hammer. But clearly, the hammer is the better choice for a carpenter who must drive a lot of nails very quickly. If you truly are using colored peaking you should give normal peaking a try. Once you have gotten used to it you will wonder why you've been using a screwdriver to pound your nails all this time.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 03-27-2020 at 04:56 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Colored peaking often obscures the actual details and can lure your into a false sense of security that the shot is actually in critical focus, when it may not be.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Colored peaking often obscures the actual details and can lure your into a false sense of security that the shot is actually in critical focus, when it may not be.
    Though almost any peaking can give you a false impression of sharpness, especially on wider shots with elements that display strong patterns and contrast.

When on a tripod I'll typically attach a small 7" monitor right next to the camera viewfinder and set one of the other to enlarge the image (usually the area containing the eyes) to 4x or 5x size on one of the two -- thus using one for operating and the other for checking focus...

But going back to the 'red peaking' screens earlier in the thread, I can see how the peaking on a 'black' screen can be used as a way to see or demonstrate differences in noise level -- so it seems to me that a valid point might be made about the noise level with the cropped sensor -- though other factors like ISO play into this as well...

7. Collapse Details
    I've never used color peaking in my life. Or false colors. I spent my entire video career using my light meter when shooting film, waveform, vectorscope and zebras for video.
    I have no problem with others using those tools if that's what floats their boat, but I don't need or want them.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    I never used focus peaking either - until it was switched on on the S1 by default. I turned it a little down and I was totally surprised how accurate but conservative it came out. I’ll definitely give that a try on the S1

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    Though almost any peaking can give you a false impression of sharpness, especially on wider shots with elements that display strong patterns and contrast.
    I'll have to disagree with that statement. It is absolutely true for colored peaking, but not true for what Sony calls "normal" peaking when it is used correctly. Normal peaking (or edge enhance peaking) has been perfected on Sony broadcast cameras for more than 40 years and is virtually infallible. I trust it 100% and I have never had it lead me to miss hitting focus. Whenever I have missed focus (plenty of times) it was my own fault and not due to an erroneous indication from peaking.

In my experience, most people who use colored peaking come from using cameras where that was the only type of peaking available on the cameras they got started with and they are resistant to change, or just want to poo poo the use of peaking in general because they started with crappy peaking to begin with and don't know any better. I run into these people all the time at workshops I teach and trade shows. And a lot of those people don't like normal peaking at first because it is subtle and takes a little practice -- but once they learn what to look for I have never had anyone say they wanted to go back to colored. Colored peaking and using zebras on skin are two red flags that tell me a lot about the operator's experience, training, and skill level that I'm dealing with.

10. Collapse Details
    My first experience of peaking was at a trade show was with a wide open 50. Not only were both eyes displaying but also background elements.
    I knew instantly that it was a bulls*%t tool as a wide open 50 gives only one eye in focus.
    2/3 at 720 maybe - full frame 4K? No

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast