1. Collapse Details
    Help with RAM please
    I need a new PC and am confused about RAM. Mainly two points:

1. I read that you should buy RAM in kits and not separate purchases of identical products. For instance if I order a PC with this RAM (4X16GB)
    and then I add more of the same RAM (4X16) later with the matching part #
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperX-64...rade/999863555

, that will likely cause problems? What?! It didn't used to be this way. I thought you just matched up identical RAM.

2. I really want to order the PC with 128GB 3200 DDR4 288 pin RAM (4X32) but the builder doesn't offer it that way, only with 16,32,64 total. I looked on ASUS motherboard site and it shows compatible RAM for the motherboard is available/supported in 4X32GB. So why can't I just order the RAM separately and add it myself?

The motherboard will be ASUS Prime TRX-40 Pro
    GPU AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x

Any help is appreciated. It's been about 7 years since I got a workstation.
    One last question. According to my figures an 850watt PSU should be enough for a system with those specs and several SSD. I don't really want to get 1000watt unless I need to.
    Main purpose of the workstation is 3ds max rendering.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    1. I read that you should buy RAM in kits and not separate purchases of identical products. For instance if I order a PC with this RAM (4X16GB)
    and then I add more of the same RAM (4X16) later with the matching part #, that will likely cause problems?
    If you are going to overclock your computer and want the absolute maximum performance from your computer, then it's best that all your RAM is from the same batch. This is because every batch of RAM may have slightly better or worse performance than the previous batch of RAM. ( same goes for memory cards, I've had some batches of memory cards that were twice as fast as they were supposed to be, but only for a very specific batch of cards )

Personally I would not worry about it, just stick with a good brand and buy the identical type and brand of RAM if you can.

2. I really want to order the PC with 128GB 3200 DDR4 288 pin RAM (4X32) but the builder doesn't offer it that way, only with 16,32,64 total. I looked on ASUS motherboard site and it shows compatible RAM for the motherboard is available/supported in 4X32GB. So why can't I just order the RAM separately and add it myself?
    You can, but just make sure that the RAM you are buying is 100 percent compatible with your motherboard. ( you will probably have to buy your computer with a minimum amount of RAM, that you can sell off when you replace it )

You should try contacting the builder to see if they have any recommendations for you on the type of RAM you should buy, you might even be able to buy the RAM from the builder as a custom order, just don't expect them to match the lowest price you can find online.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you. I don't intend to overclock anything but I want good reliable performance since it will be left rendering for days at a time.

Yeah I was thinking of ordering it with the minimum 16GB and then replacing it with 128GB of the same brand/type/specs but that woudn't be identical parts.

The other idea was order it with 4X16GB (the max they offer) and then myself add another 4X16GB of the identical part # but even then it would still be a different batch..

I'll try to contact them and see about possibilites

4. Collapse Details
    Your system will clock down to the lowest speed RAM to maintain stability automatically. The reason they recommend buying in a matched set is partly for this as there can be differences in batches. It's a bit pedantic in practice for all but the bleeding edge enthusiasts.

What you do want to do is buy the same make/model. Match your CL, speed, and timings. If you buy more or less, you'll bottleneck yourself to the slowest performing part. And in all things compatibility/stability wise, buying matched sets or as close as possible is always preferable, though not strictly required.

Anyway, you have the right idea. The different "batch" should really be a non issue. I wouldn't worry about it, and I've upgraded system RAM years later with zero issues over the course of my life all the time. That's the whole point of having a PC...

5. Collapse Details
    One might also shop for vendors. Some may build the "videocentric" units; others may build similar specc'ed units but geared mainly for gaming.

Side note - on a high end custom built system, I'd recommend established shops.

6. Collapse Details
    I need a new PC and am confused about RAM. Mainly two points:

and then I add more of the same RAM (4X16) later with the matching part #
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/HyperX-64...rade/999863555

, that will likely cause problems? What?! It didn't used to be this way. I thought you just matched up identical RAM.

The motherboard will be ASUS Prime TRX-40 Pro
    GPU AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x

Any help is appreciated. It's been about 7 years since I got a workstation.
    One last question. According to my figures an 850watt PSU should be enough for a system with those specs and several SSD. I don't really want to get 1000watt unless I need to.
    Main purpose of the workstation is 3ds max rendering.
    You read that if you add more RAM of the same model number as what you have, it'll cause problems?

That just isn't so.

If you mix brands or speeds or voltages or different timing sequences, it could (could) be an issue, but the exact same RAM? That's just crazy talk.

850W will probably be more than OK. But if it's an older PSU, you may not have all the connectors you need.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY