Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    You do realize that AMD bought out ATI many years ago to start their GPU division, so AMD also goes back a very long way
    I do! I owned an ATI card back then as well. And, as I understand, the next gen consoles will be using AMD GPUs which bodes well for games. All that said I trust nvidias driver support and features more right now as they’ve been top dog for a while on PC front. They have some great VR features with foveated anti aliasing in VR among other things. CUDA support is also strong in apps and so, maybe reviews would change my mind or I’m overthinking it, but if it’s a split I don’t see any reason to switch from the established player. If it’s a performance win, well, that’s a different convo...

2. Collapse Details
    So, in response, it's all getting biggest, faster, cheaper much like in cameras, which are basically a sensor inside a microform computer anyway. More pixels, higher bit rate codecs, faster media, et cetera, et cetera....

3. Collapse Details
    It’s also nice to know that there is an immense amount of room for software optimization moving forward. Our current hardware launches are capabale it far more than we are actually using them for. We need to look forward less and less to buying new hardware, but rather waiting to reap the benefits of what we already have as software continues to evolve.

A version of premiere pro that would take full advantage of 32+ core systems and an RTX 2080 TI would do more for us than will a next gen threadripper 4 without further software optimizations.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Itís also nice to know that there is an immense amount of room for software optimization moving forward.
    But how do you convince software companies to invest the money in rewriting their software to take advantage of 16 / 32 / 64 CPU cores ?

I edit with Vegas Pro which has some multiprocessor optimizations, but most of the plug-ins still won't recognize more than one core, so editing can be super fast but rendering gets bogged down from all these inefficient plug-ins.

5. Collapse Details
    You don't... market forces do. If Resolve codes for this and people see an exponential performance increase, people will flock away from Premiere to Resolve. And Adobe will be "convinced".

Or vice versa. Or a new player.

Adobe's subscription service is the biggest rip off ever because few people would have upgraded over the last couple years if they were following their old upgrade model, so the only incentive for Adobe is losing subscribers at this point. Resolve is free, and FCP X is Mac only... so competition is a little thin to spur this forward. But give it a few years, things are always developing, we'll start seeing breakthroughs eventually.

Plugins at least have the incentive to get their users to buy a new version.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post

......Adobe's subscription service is the biggest rip off ever because few people would have upgraded over the last couple years if they were following their old upgrade model, so the only incentive for Adobe is losing subscribers at this point.....
    Problem is all those locked in to Adobe subscription have an incentive to keep making payments else be cut off. It's not easy when posting jobs each week (and with lots of previous projects through the years) to jump to another post software. Adobe knows this.

It would be great if someone started utilizing all the potential in our multi-core multi-thread CPUs and GPUs. Post would be so much smoother/better!

7. Collapse Details
    I guess it's sort of on topic. GPU.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...husiast-121756

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123