Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Intel will be fine... they had a change in leadership and tried to throw in everything with their first 10nm build, rather than follow their proven iterative process and this cost them. But they will be back, similar to what happen in 2005 when AMD pulled ahead. Intels 10nm chip is equivalent to AMDs 7nm, it is a difference in measuring technique.
    A number of industry experts think that it could take Intel 5 - 10 years to catch up with AMD if they can. AMD is rolling out new CPUs every year now, so Intel doesn't just have to catch up with last year's AMD chips, they have to catch up with this year's AMD chips. And so far it looks like Intel has nothing to compete with AMDs Infinity fabric and Chiplet designs, so AMD can keep adding more cores that are fabbed as tiny little CPUs instead of large monolithic silicon that has much lower yields than the chiplet design does.

CPU Yields.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    Last week's GPU's rating compilation, if anyone's interested.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html

And this is about hardware, software and all the toys in the world.

https://www.insider.com/pixars-anima...y-story-2019-6

An excerpt I found the most interesting,

Narrator: According to producer Jonas Rivera, if they had to today, they could render "Toy Story" faster than you could watch the entire movie. However, the complexity of "Toy Story 4" means it can take 60 to 160 hours to render one frame.
    So, based on the "what is good enough?" theory, how soon will we see the CGI films that are done in a week or two?

3. Collapse Details
    I'd take such experts with a grain of salt... Intel has very deep pockets and has been through this before. Huge AMD fan, BTW, but Intel will be knocking at their door again within a few years. My biggest concern is not Intel catching up, but AMD not repeating it's past success/failure and staying competitive. We will see how it shakes out (*popcorn*) but for now, my next upgrade will be Threadripper 3.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Last week's GPU's rating compilation, if anyone's interested. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html
    AMD is about to pull a "Ryzen" on nVidia and the GPU market with their "Big Navi" card that is coming out this Spring.

AMD: Big Navi GPU to Disrupt 4K Gaming Like Ryzen CPUs Did to Intel

AMD may become unstoppable in both the CPU and GPU markets. Something I would have never believed only a few years ago.

5. Collapse Details
    Nice! Im curious to see that. I know nvidia is rumored with a GTX 3080 this year too. Might finally be time to upgrade the 1080 TI later this year.

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Nice! Im curious to see that. I know nvidia is rumored with a GTX 3080 this year too. Might finally be time to upgrade the 1080 TI later this year.
    Some of the YouTube tech-heads are already predicting that Big Navi might outperform the GTX 3080 when it's released.

Things are getting exciting again!!!

7. Collapse Details
    Very exciting. Though if AMD's gpu can only tie with 3080 TI I'd go Nvidia just because they are more established in the industry. I trust them more with feature adds on things like VR support (the 2080 TI just added a great new feature for VR with foveated rendering of antialiasing) etc. But GPU prices have spiraled out of control (I got my 1080 TI right before prices skyrocketed). With AMD in the game with a highly competitive offering, it should hopefully get a 3080 TI price point down to sane levels.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Very exciting. Though if AMD's gpu can only tie with 3080 TI I'd go Nvidia just because they are more established in the industry.
    You do realize that AMD bought out ATI many years ago to start their GPU division, so AMD also goes back a very long way, back to the time when nVidia was caught cooking their GPU drivers to produce higher scores on 3D benchmarks.

9. Collapse Details
    These are interesting times. I only remember AMD giving Intel a serious run for their money (once?) before, (nearly 2 decades ago?)
    The new AMD video cards also sound interesting.
    And that is what I was trying to get at in the OP, what will happen? The competition heats up, performance increases....and prices drop?

10. Collapse Details
    An average PC price now is ~ $670 ... I remember back in 1986-87, "average" was $3,500 and that was without an onscreen user interface. That was my first time in the electronic retail.

Of course, the TV pricing was almost as bad. In 1989, a 35" Mitsubishi CRT TV was almost $3,000, as was its 50" Rear Projection. In 1998, 46" Philips flat screen (plasma) was $14,000 and even that was only SD.

And cameras were just getting onto a digital side.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast