Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Future CPU market?
    So it seems AMD has shaken things up a bit with their latest Ryzen Threadrippers.
    Charts with results like this seem to be common.
    image_54028.jpg
    And the 64 core 3990x is to be even hotter.
    Such performance boosts are welcome for us in video and 3D.
    How will this new leap affect the market, though?
    Will Intel and AMD fight it out and these crazy fast CPUs become the norm with prices dropping or will the market be split between these fast ones and the more normal offerings so the prices remain in tiers as they are?
    Thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

IIRC, the Athlon based system I bought in 2001 registered at about 100. That was one time before this that AMD got a leg up on Intel. But now Intel seems to be struggling with the 7 nM process, promising only to launch them by 2021. By that time, AMD should be out with its 5 nM chips. 8K HEVC seems to be just around the corner.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I would like to learn and understand better how and why technology keeps improving every year in the way that it does. How one day people create something better and faster that they couldn't the year before.

What exactly happens in physics, in the universe that chips and hardware are slightly improved in 2021 or 2022 vs 2020. It's interesting.

4. Collapse Details
    It is nice to see AMD find success with their design. They are getting good performance with less energy/heat. Intel is stuck in a rut and can not get out of it. The recent Intel 18 core chip can keep pace with the new AMD chips (when overclocked) but at twice the energy consumption. Intel always had a leg up in the video world with special instruction sets that made the software run better. Looks like their day in the sun is over for a while. The real pain is coming in the next generation where AMD will probably mop the floor. But, Intel will be back.

For us in the video world, GPU use what is keeping it interesting. CPU alone can not keep up with the pace of resolution change.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    How will this new leap affect the market, though? Will Intel and AMD fight it out and these crazy fast CPUs become the norm with prices dropping or will the market be split between these fast ones and the more normal offerings so the prices remain in tiers as they are? Thoughts?
    Intel sat on their hands over the last 10 years because they thought that they were in the "catbird seat" and that nobody would ever be able to touch their greatness.

So while Intel was busy congratulating itself about how great it was... AMD was working on a new type of CPU architecture that would allow them to surpass Intel at all levels if they could pull it off. ( i.e. Infinity Fabric and Chiplets )

Flash-forward 10 years and AMD is now the front runner, and they have no desire to ever take the backseat to Intel ever again...

6. Collapse Details
    It is good to see that a Dutch company, ASML made this possible.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I would like to learn and understand better how and why technology keeps improving every year in the way that it does. How one day people create something better and faster that they couldn't the year before.

What exactly happens in physics, in the universe that chips and hardware are slightly improved in 2021 or 2022 vs 2020. It's interesting.
    https://royalsocietypublishing.org/d...rsta.2011.0052

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Publimix View Post
    It is good to see that a Dutch company, ASML made this possible.

9. Collapse Details
    This is interesting. All my computers since 1990 are Intel and all still work. I need a new one for 3D and looks like it will be AMD which seems strange.

10. Collapse Details
    Intel will be fine... they had a change in leadership and tried to throw in everything with their first 10nm build, rather than follow their proven iterative process and this cost them. But they will be back, similar to what happen in 2005 when AMD pulled ahead. Intels 10nm chip is equivalent to AMDs 7nm, it is a difference in measuring technique.

In the years in between intel getting their footing back, I hope AMD secures itself as a permanent competitor in this space as it’s very very good for us.

Silicone is maxing out... we will get a few more die shrinks and then I think we will see a lot of software side improvements as we learn to scale to multi core better. There is a lot of untapped potential in our hardware even as is today. That is the real growth opportunity.

Next we’ll get quantum computing and organic based chips but this is quite a ways off as we’re going to need a whole new coding paradigm to replace binary.

As for chip segment divisions, the line will continue to blur. Threadripper vs Epyc vs Ryzen all have blurry lines and it’s safe to say this trend will only continue. As for pricing that’s really a question of market forces. I would imagine we won’t get another significant price breakthrough until Intel trounces back and puts AMD on the defensive again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast