Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    B-Cam for Arri Amira
    Hi everyone,

I need a more portable (and more affordable) B-Cam to go alongside the Arri Amira.
    To have a second angle for interviews, to maybe go on a gimbal, to mount it in tight spaces or to be used when the big camera is just too obtrusive.

I was thinking maybe C300 mkII for the 1080p 4444, heard good things but never used one and there is a pl mount version available, which would be nice as most of my glass is PL. But still kind of big.
    Or BM Pocket 4K or 6K or even the old micro cinema camera?

Anybody got any experience on this and likes to share?

cheers,
    MArtin

2. Collapse Details
    For what it’s worth, I have a client that is the production arm of a sport sanctioning body and their typical camera deployment at an event is usually two Amira’s and and a mix of several C300/II’s & C300’s.

3. Collapse Details
    If you would like to keep it portable and affordable - and also have extremely flexible image quality - then definitely a Blackmagic P4K or P6K. (The Micro Cinema has a pretty dated image.)

Or even one of the Z Cams.
    Retired.

4. Collapse Details
    Alexa Mini LF for the gimbal? ;)

Not a fan of Canon C cam color science; perhaps 1DX III or coming EOS R 2, X-T3 (after AF fixed), X-T200 (if limitations are not an issue), A7 III (gimbal or sticks, has a bit of RS), used Alexa (under $6K, no gimbal use of course). ZCams looking good too. Komodo could be really interesting (RF mount + PD AF).

5. Collapse Details
    Ha, Mini LF would be nice But even a reg Mini is way over budget... Alexa is too big and heavy. Used to shoot Sony, had an FS7 from the beginning which I sold recently and an A7R3, hated both (although they always worked and made good money). Z-Cams, hm, they look interesting but what I have seen so far (only online) did not really impress me. And its kind of hard to get your hands on one here in Germany unless you are willing to buy blind. And Komodo is not available yet and who knows when...

6. Collapse Details
    A7S III/IV (or whatever they'll call it) with updated color science will be worth looking at. Some folks are happy with the A7R IV for video- color seems to be getting better with every iteration (minimally has better AF vs. prior cameras).

I'm digging the color of the FX9- both S-Cinetone (except sometimes skin can be a bit golden/brown (it's a look I guess)) and SLog3: looks pretty neutral compared to S-Cinetone with (so far) pretty nice skintones. The FX9 also has a variable ND which provides some nice real-time smooth exposure changes, e.g. able to do a oner going inside to outside and vice versa (can do similar things with AutoISO- Canon C cameras don't seem to support AutoISO).

Just found out a friend is going to do an FX9 and C500 II comparison soon- will be interesting to see how both cameras handle the exposure ramp test on skintones (with post recovery) to check color science quality. Currently ARRI has the lead in exposure invariant color, which is super useful.

7. Collapse Details
    Hm, so more and more I tend to give the BMPCC 4K a try, mostly for the flexibility of the MFT mount. Does anyone know if with an PL adapter one can use Angenieux Optimo DP Zooms with it? Not every PL mount works with Optimo DPs, the PL mod from woodencamera for the 6k for example does not.

8. Collapse Details
    Flog it and get two of something you can afford?

9. Collapse Details
    Never, once you went Arri there is no turning back

10. Collapse Details
    Get the Alexa Pocket cam.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast