1. Collapse Details
    rip dvds (problem to read the dvds)
    Hi,
    I have a question. Not sure in what section of the site i should put it.
    I have dvds/blurays to rip to my computer.

I have a dvd player in my desktop computer.
    But i bought an external bluray/dvd to rip the blurays i have.

The other day, i was trying a dvd to play into the external bluray/dvd and it didnt work well.
    I then try to play this dvd on my desktop dvd and it played well.

It make me think that the external bluray might not play the dvd/blurays well. Maybe i should buy another external bluray.

Usually, does the external bluray/dvd doesnt work as good as the bluray/dvd from desktop ?

Thanks in advance,

2. Collapse Details
    Anyone has an idea? I plan to buy an internal bluray disk to solve my problem. Would it be better than my actual instalment with external bluray ?
    Thanks in advance,

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Make sure your DVD and Blu-ray drives have the latest firmware installed. There are usually a couple updates every year that allow the drive to decrypt the latest version of DRM that's put on the discs.

I've been using DVDs and Blu-rays for years with Pioneer RW computer drives with no problems, but I do check to see if my firmware is out of date every 6 months or so.

4. Collapse Details
    Are the dvds copy protected? What software?

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiener View Post
    Are the dvds copy protected? What software?
    Most commercial DVDs and Blu-ray discs have DRM encryption to stop you from ripping the content to another storage medium, and this encryption gets updated a few times a year, which is why it's necessary to update the firmware on your DVD or Blu-ray drive so that it will be able to play the newer encrypted discs. Many home blu-ray players that connect directly to your TV set, will automatically check for firmware updates when you turn them on, provided they have an internet connection.

6. Collapse Details
    following

7. Collapse Details
    I have a feeling that discussing how to rip copyright material isn't really allowed here. There are plenty of places that will have info on doing this for your own fair use. That said, in some countries breaking the encryption is illegal, and even discussing it can be a problem.

That said, DVD is easy. Bluray not nearly so. I dont think the encryption changes or else old players would not be able to play new titles, the manufacturer can not assume that all players are connected to the web for updates, so this shouldn't really be an issue. But the way Bluray plays the segments is the real thing that will get you, Bluray is just a very long playlist of short sections. And those sections may not be put on the disk in a linear fashion. Somehow the players know which playlist to play, and rippers may not know. You often get rips with the story out of order.

And keep in mind, if you don't own and keep the physical media, you no longer have the rights to use any digital rip that you might create for your fair use.

And after all that, no I'm not going to just tell you how to do this, there aren't many one click options, and as far as I know, all of the one click options cost money. They are also not legal in all countries. If you aren't finding info through a web search, I'm guessing your country doesn't allow this type of thing and the info is being blocked.

8. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    I don't think the encryption changes or else old players would not be able to play new titles, the manufacturer can not assume that all players are connected to the web for updates, so this shouldn't really be an issue.
    Yes, the encryption schemes do get updated from time to time. I have had new blu-ray titles ( i.e. films distributed in the last few years ) that would not play on my blu-ray players until AFTER I did the upgrade. I don't buy many new titles ( most of my blu-rays are 2014 titles or older ) so this doesn't happen very often. ( when the encryption is updated all of the previous encryption schemes are grandfathered in with the new encryption scheme )

I've also had software based blu-ray players put up an error that they can't play the current disc on my computer's blu-ray drive until the software gets an update, which usually takes less than 30 seconds.

I don't know for sure if DVD encryption is also getting updated as often as blu-ray encryption is. I only buy DVDs when there is no blu-ray option, and so far every DVD has played without problems.