Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Uses for an iPad Pro in the world of filmmaking?
    I ordered my 12.9 iPad Pro today and was interested in cool and productive ways I could use it in the world of film? Not looking to use it as a camera so please dont suggest that lol.
    Cameras
    2 Sony DSR-PD150p (PAL) Cameras
    Canon XL1 PAL

LENSES
    Canon XL 16x Lens
    Canon 16x Manual Lens
    Canon XL Extender

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel CLWAH-F4,5 Matte Box

2. Collapse Details
    Use it for wireless on set IP video monitoring. Many newer cameras output wireless IP video. One can add an NDI network encoder or wireless IP encoder to any SDI or HDMI camera output.
    Use it for an electronic slate
    Use it for camera back focus test chart
    Use it for shot review and logging

I do use my iPad mini with an Iographer rig and lens kit for casual video recording. One could use it in this way for location scouting, but a 12.9 is awkwardly large for a camera.
    I use my iPad rig with a Shure MV1 preamp and short shotgun mic on a monopod for shooting at political events and street demonstrations where I would not risk my good camera.
    With an audio preamp interface and good mics it makes a very good field recorder.
    I've used it to record interviews and presentations for personal record, though with adequate lighting and one of the IOS filmmaker apps it does shoot decent quality HD video and PCM audio as good as most cheap camcorders.

Last edited by Razz16mm; 01-24-2020 at 02:37 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Together with the Hollyland 400s, it becomes a nice director's tool. The 400S will will send live video to multiple phones/tablets (without the need of a receiver). The Hollyview app allows the user to watch, record, playback, make notes and diagrams. Several people on set can use it for their needs.

Accsoon CineEye is similar, and much cheaper, but I don't think it has the same set of tools.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    Together with the Hollyland 400s, it becomes a nice director's tool. The 400S will will send live video to multiple phones/tablets (without the need of a receiver). The Hollyview app allows the user to watch, record, playback, make notes and diagrams. Several people on set can use it for their needs.

Accsoon CineEye is similar, and much cheaper, but I don't think it has the same set of tools.
    Cineeye definitely doesn't have the same tools, can't record or playback but functions quite well just as a basic monitoring system with some entry level monitoring tools.
    I'm using mine quite a bit, it's super handy and it didn't cost me thousands of dollars like a Teradek, monitor, battery system. Use it with my iPad 4 and a cheap smaller Anker battery Velcroed to it that keeps it running all day.
    Probably the most useful piece of gear I bought in 2018.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I use as TelePrompTer

Cool I didn't know you could use it with the holly land. I'll have to try that

6. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    If you buy the pencil, can use it for storyboarding - there is a whole bunch of storyboarding apps that are specifically iPad focused. And of course you can use it more generally for production software, budgeting and so on - including even screenplay writing with iPad specific apps - especially if you get a keyboard. I bought the new Air back in 2019 a few months after it came out, and I also bought the Apple Smart Keyboard and pencil, and I find them very useful. You already have the iPad, but if anyone is thinking about it, my advice would be to get a bit more internal storage (I got 256GB), that way you're not limited if you're in a situation where you don't have immediate access to the internet.

7. Collapse Details
    Shot Pro is a great 3D storyboarding tool for quickly mocking up shots. Boarded my whole feature with it.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

8. Collapse Details
    Release forms and digital signatures

9. Collapse Details
    I just recently upgraded to Catalina on my iMac and have been using my iPad Pro with the Sidecar feature... a quick easy way to add a bit of screen real estate on another screen in editing apps (both video & photo). Also use mine as a prompter occasionally.

10. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    I’ve been editing for almost 25 years now, starting on Avid Media Composer (back when we thought 3GB drives were huge), and having cut on everything from Media 100 to FCP to Premiere to Resolve to FCPX.

I just finished cutting an actual paid client gig on an iPad using LumaFusion. I can’t wait to see what new features they launch in version 3.0 (hopefully coming at NAB).
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast