1. Collapse Details
    CX350 - Disappointed...
    Hello,

I am writing this post and trying not to vent but it is very difficult for me to get behind this camera. I know gear is just a bunch of tools and inanimate objects, but as a one man band, I find I put a lot of trust and dependence on my cameras. They are at the heart of my business.

After waiting for months for Panasonic to fix the issue with the rear zoom controller, I decided to order the Libec model that is supposed to work with the camera per the Panasonic marketing materials and re-stated by Mr. Steve Cooperman. Well, the Libec controller is exhibiting the EXACT same behavior as my current zoom controllers.

I have owned many Panasonic cameras over the years and I have always found them to be a company that cares about end quality. This last 9 months seems like either they are low on resources or they have a new approach to their product line/customer experience.

I purchased this camera in April of 2019, almost 9 months ago and I do not see deploying it over my PX270's in anything other than a static role. The rear zoom controller causes jumps at different points through the speed ramping. Constant, gentle pressure which results in great behavior on other cameras shows jumps on the CX350. I do not know how anybody who works with cameras would be happy with this consumer level behavior. Unless you are viewing this camera as a cine camera where the only time the servo motors are being used is between takes.

I have been in touch with all parties who could influence a change and here we are. At some point one has to accept that it is what it is. Yes, disappointed...

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Hello,

I am writing this post and trying not to vent but it is very difficult for me to get behind this camera. I know gear is just a bunch of tools and inanimate objects, but as a one man band, I find I put a lot of trust and dependence on my cameras. They are at the heart of my business.

After waiting for months for Panasonic to fix the issue with the rear zoom controller, I decided to order the Libec model that is supposed to work with the camera per the Panasonic marketing materials and re-stated by Mr. Steve Cooperman. Well, the Libec controller is exhibiting the EXACT same behavior as my current zoom controllers.

I have owned many Panasonic cameras over the years and I have always found them to be a company that cares about end quality. This last 9 months seems like either they are low on resources or they have a new approach to their product line/customer experience.

I purchased this camera in April of 2019, almost 9 months ago and I do not see deploying it over my PX270's in anything other than a static role. The rear zoom controller causes jumps at different points through the speed ramping. Constant, gentle pressure which results in great behavior on other cameras shows jumps on the CX350. I do not know how anybody who works with cameras would be happy with this consumer level behavior. Unless you are viewing this camera as a cine camera where the only time the servo motors are being used is between takes.

I have been in touch with all parties who could influence a change and here we are. At some point one has to accept that it is what it is. Yes, disappointed...
    Bassman,
    I recently bought the Libec ZFC-L remote controller for my CX350. In the limited testing and use I have done, I have not experienced the problems you have mentioned. However, the other day I was shooting with a Panasonic UX90 and VariZoom RockDVX controller. That camera/controller combo exhibited some of the jumping issues you mentioned. If I experience any problems with my CX350/Libec controller I will definitely let this forum know. I hope Panasonic is working on this issue and the auto focus issues owners have reported with their CX350.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your input. I do not want to come at it from the angle that my camera is faulty. It is always a possibility, but I prefer to treat finished, purchased products as a true representation from the company. I already had it in the shop for dust/grease in the lens but they said to asses the zoom controller thing with the new lens unit. Glad you are happy with yours but unless I can try some other units I do not see a way to find out if my experiences are unique.

4. Collapse Details
    Uh oh! I just got back from a shoot in CO using my old HP370 because I returned to B&H my CX 350, there's a new one arrived, still in the unopened box 350, and I will let you know if mine has your zooming issue. I was happy with my Libec zoom on the model I returned, however, I am not too picky, I will use it on the left handle of my shoulder rig to do recomposing fast zooms. I want it to keep my left hand firmly on its handle. There will be times when I need to follow a speaker on stage so I hope this model's zoom is as smooth as my last one. I don't work much anymore, maybe 3-4 days a month, so it's not a deal breaker for me. I am glad I have B&H's 3 year return benefit. Next time I will remember to transfer all my settings to a SD card, I was in a rush to make the FedEx cut off. If anyone has any favorite scene file and user settings please let me know at ned AT nedmiller.com so we don't hijack this thread.

But while I'm on this forum I think that perhaps my first camera did not brick. I PM'd with a 350 owner who felt his 350 bricked (thus far there's 4 of us) and he told me that his power switch is loose, doesn't lock in properly. Maybe that's why it bricked? When it happened to me I was driving in downtown Chicago at night and hand held it with my left hand, resting it on the dash board (I know I know, it's dangerous) testing HEVC in 3 & 6db so I could check the noise level. Perhaps my fat thumb knocked me into the Off position? We'll see with this new one.

I'm hoping that this 350 will be everything I need. I returned the first one because I confirmed with Panasonic tech support that my audio switches were not functioning, also I could not get audio out of the HDMI port (but I usually use a more robust SDI jack anyway).

Ned
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

5. Collapse Details
    If I understand you correctly, you are disapointed with the remote zoom controller, right? The integrated zoom rocker on the camera, in my opinion, is very smooth with no jumps and can perform a slow crawl zoom without any issue.

My only criticism would be that the fastest zoom speed is no fast at all. But I'm aware cannot compare this camera to a professional B4 broadcast lens 5x the price of the cx350. Fast zoom is useful for zoom-in, check focus, recompose.

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, this slow zoom jumping behavior is only with rear zoom controllers.

There is a setting on the camera where you can engage "fast zoom". It does speed the motors up a fair amount.

7. Collapse Details
    But Mitteg, there are many times where you can't use the rocker arm, such as when your left hand has to be on the focus ring to track focus and your left hand is on the tripod handle, such as when something is coming towards or away from you. That's why we need the controllers' speed and ramping to be smooth.

Ned
    Ned Miller
    Chicago-based Freelance Videographer
    www.nedmiller.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nedcam View Post
    Uh oh! I just got back from a shoot in CO using my old HP370 because I returned to B&H my CX 350, there's a new one arrived, still in the unopened box 350, and I will let you know if mine has your zooming issue. I was happy with my Libec zoom on the model I returned, however, I am not too picky, I will use it on the left handle of my shoulder rig to do recomposing fast zooms. I want it to keep my left hand firmly on its handle. There will be times when I need to follow a speaker on stage so I hope this model's zoom is as smooth as my last one. I don't work much anymore, maybe 3-4 days a month, so it's not a deal breaker for me. I am glad I have B&H's 3 year return benefit. Next time I will remember to transfer all my settings to a SD card, I was in a rush to make the FedEx cut off. If anyone has any favorite scene file and user settings please let me know at ned AT nedmiller.com so we don't hijack this thread.

But while I'm on this forum I think that perhaps my first camera did not brick. I PM'd with a 350 owner who felt his 350 bricked (thus far there's 4 of us) and he told me that his power switch is loose, doesn't lock in properly. Maybe that's why it bricked? When it happened to me I was driving in downtown Chicago at night and hand held it with my left hand, resting it on the dash board (I know I know, it's dangerous) testing HEVC in 3 & 6db so I could check the noise level. Perhaps my fat thumb knocked me into the Off position? We'll see with this new one.

I'm hoping that this 350 will be everything I need. I returned the first one because I confirmed with Panasonic tech support that my audio switches were not functioning, also I could not get audio out of the HDMI port (but I usually use a more robust SDI jack anyway).

Ned
    Just a note of clarification: It was me that Ned PMd. I should point out that the switch on the camera was/is not loose, but when rotating it there is no feeling of resistance as I have experienced on a Sony camera having a similar style switch. It locks in position and it requires the red push button to be pushed before it will turn either on or off, just as expected The instance of 'bricking' was almost certainly due to an SD card error and I have not experienced it since using other cards.

Geoff.