Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Unless it's an ultra quick-turn, I try to ship my gear ahead. Of course, I'm talking about domestic travel.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by New_Zealand View Post
    I travel with my gear - New Zealand, Aussie and USA. C300 goes in the hard case design for the C300 and taken on the flight as my carry on bag. My Cine Lenses, Monitor, external hard-drive and any Misc items I need for the camera goes into the laptop bag as my personal carry on and the tripod (taken apart), matte box goes into my luggage bag with my clothes. no issues.
    When I fly, I do the same thing. A carry on camera backpack and a Sachtler Dr. Bag. Tripod, lights, light stands, tripod head all go into a roller duffle. It's funny, people are obsessed by ultra heavy Pelican and Anvil type ATA cases. The problem with those is you use up your weight allowance with just the stupid cases and once you land, you don't need that level of protextion most of the time. I put a lot of stuff in with my clothes in the roller duffle and have never had anything stolen or damaged. I wrap the tripod legs and head in a couple of lens wraps, wrap that up in some clothes and everything is good and I've flown into some sketchy places on cheesy airlines in Africa, no problems. It really sucks we have to carry on our batteries now but two V mounts for lights plus my camera batteries all works out ok so far.

I woudn't bother carrying on my tripod head, what's the point if it's insured? I have rented from LensRentals and had them ship to location but that can be a pain to jump in the rental car and go to FedEx/DHL to pick it all up and drop off if you just spent 12 hours on a plane to London. But it works.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 01-22-2020 at 01:04 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I woudn't bother carrying on my tripod head, what's the point if it's insured? I have rented from LensRentals and had them ship to location but that can be a pain to jump in the rental car and go to FedEx/DHL to pick it all up and drop off if you just spent 12 hours on a plane tp London. But it works.
    That’s why you ship it to your hotel or location and have them pick-it up on the back-end. They don’t charge extra for that. I’ve had FedEx, UPS and Couriers(man, I miss those days when the nets did that) pick my cases up at the hotel or location.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Thatís why you ship it to your hotel or location and have them pick-it up on the back-end. They donít charge extra for that. Iíve had FedEx, UPS and Couriers(man, I miss those days when the nets did that) pick my cases up at the hotel or location.
    Do you eat the shipping costs personally or is it normal to pass them on? I guess when compared with the alternatives (extra/oversize bags) it's a huge bargain. I've thought about getting a small storage unit in Sydney just to hold a basic interview kit. Flying with camera equipment is doable but it's always such a compromise trying to fly with lighting equipment.

Do you ship absolutely everything or always fly with camera/other items?

I'm sure you've mentioned this information before but I'm asking anyway. It'd be good to try your method.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Do you eat the shipping costs personally or is it normal to pass them on? I guess when compared with the alternatives (extra/oversize bags) it's a huge bargain. I've thought about getting a small storage unit in Sydney just to hold a basic interview kit. Flying with camera equipment is doable but it's always such a compromise trying to fly with lighting equipment.

Do you ship absolutely everything or always fly with camera/other items?

I'm sure you've mentioned this information before but I'm asking anyway. It'd be good to try your method.
    Client always pays for shipping. With one in-particular, sometimes I can get them to create the shipping labels up-front and email them to me to use. They get absolutely ridiculous rates with UPS. They can ship overnight for the same or usually less than I pay for ground shipping. So it benefits them, as well, because they're paying a lot less because of their discount than If I just passed along my shipping costs.

The last few times I've had to fly for shoots it's been mixed, I shipped everything ahead for one(lights, camera, audio, support) and the last I shipped support and lights(very minimal-2x ice lights) and carried my cam and batts on-board with me.

Support is very important, so I don't get why someone would use one tripod/head at home, but a lesser one when they travel, just because it's lighter and may save them on shipping/baggage charges. So the shoot your traveling for is not as important as shoots you do at home...? If the set-up isn't a compromise, then why aren't you shooting with it all the time at home, too?

6. Collapse Details
    Client always pays for shipping. With one in-particular, sometimes I can get them to create the shipping labels up-front and email them to me to use. They get absolutely ridiculous rates with UPS. They can ship overnight for the same or usually less than I pay for ground shipping. So it benefits them, as well, because they're paying a lot less because of their discount than If I just passed along my shipping costs.

The last few times I've had to fly for shoots it's been mixed, I shipped everything ahead for one(lights, camera, audio, support) and the last I shipped support and lights(very minimal-2x ice lights) and carried my cam and batts on-board with me.

Support is very important, so I don't get why someone would use one tripod/head at home, but a lesser one when they travel, just because it's lighter and may save them on shipping/baggage charges. So the shoot your traveling for is not as important as shoots you do at home...? If the set-up isn't a compromise, then why aren't you shooting with it all the time at home, too?
    It depends on the shoot I guess. For me, that's right i.e. if flying somewhere the shoot probably has lower expectations compared to a local shoot with much more equipment. Similarly, if you're being hired as more of a videographer doing corporate work then the tripod head is less important vs. needing a really good head for smooth movement during any live situations.

I've been a crew member on shoots out of town and thought the clients definitely should've hired locally instead of paying for us to fly!

7. Collapse Details
    It depends on the shoot I guess. For me, that's right i.e. if flying somewhere the shoot probably has lower expectations compared to a local shoot with much more equipment. Similarly, if you're being hired as more of a videographer doing corporate work then the tripod head is less important vs. needing a really good head for smooth movement during any live situations.

I've been a crew member on shoots out of town and thought the clients definitely should've hired locally instead of paying for us to fly!
    I don't get that. I see it all the time, but... Why bother with the trouble and expense of flying a crew in unless they are better than the local crew and the shoot is important?

8. Collapse Details
    I don't get that. I see it all the time, but... Why bother with the trouble and expense of flying a crew in unless they are better than the local crew and the shoot is important?
    These answers aren't me speaking down to you like you haven't thought of any of this and I know your question is more rhetorical i.e. "what's the point"? Here's a list anyway:

- Production person has an in with the client, who is happy to keep it in the family
    - Clients are lazy and would rather pay for travel than look into a new set of local crew members
    - Clients are busy and would rather spend time doing other things instead of looking into a new set of local crew members. Probably makes the most sense on a shoot with many different stops and finding multiple sets of crews would be a pain.
    - They don't know otherwise and actually think it's the best way or believe their video person is that good
    - taxes? Is it good for companies to spend on airlines? I don't know.

Most of us have probably been on both sides of the coin. You wouldn't want to be known as the person who's flown in and not good at the job.
    Last edited by rob norton; 01-22-2020 at 09:45 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    The problem with those is you use up your weight allowance with just the stupid cases and once you land, you don't need that level of protextion most of the time.
    If you show them a media pass (which you can have made for your own production company) most airlines have a "media rate" that removes the oversize and overweight fees up to something like 100 lbs. per piece. I don't travel Pelican cases (they are indeed too heavy), but I do travel with my Think Tank Production Manager 50 full of lights and such and an SKB rotomold tripod case with tripods and light stands. I have two different lengths of SKB case... one that will just fit my tripod and a few collapsible light stands. The other will fit broken-down C-stands and a larger tripod. They're actually remarkably light for being hard cases. I leave the heads on my sticks.

My cameras and lenses get broken down and packed into a Think Tank Airport Advantage roller case. The Airport Advantage has the advantage of fitting in every single overhead bin I've ever experienced... including some very small commuter and regional jets. I can get a pretty solid kit of gear into that bag too (C200, Z-Cam E2, several lenses, and batteries). If I'm really packing out, I'll swap my laptop messenger bag for a Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive backpack that will let me pack even more gear. Both of these bags have all the inserts removed and I wrap the gear in lens wraps and pack it tightly. The Streetwalker goes in the overhead and I can fit the Airport Advantage under the seat (though I try very hard for bulkhead so I can put them both up in the overheads).

Oh, and my clothes go into a suitcase that is nearly always checked. Sometimes I'll pack them in the Production Manager if there's room.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

10. Collapse Details
    These answers aren't me speaking down to you like you haven't thought of any of this and I know your question is more rhetorical i.e. "what's the point"? Here's a list anyway:

- Production person has an in with the client, who is happy to keep it in the family
    - Clients are lazy and would rather pay for travel than look into a new set of local crew members
    - Clients are busy and would rather spend time doing other things instead of looking into a new set of local crew members. Probably makes the most sense on a shoot with many different stops and finding multiple sets of crews would be a pain.
    - They don't know otherwise and actually think it's the best way or believe their video person is that good
    - taxes? Is it good for companies to spend on airlines? I don't know.

Most of us have probably been on both sides of the coin. You wouldn't want to be known as the person who's flown in and not good at the job.
    Oh yeah, I get it and it was mostly rhetorical/me bitching, because I see it all the time and of course, have seen both sides of the coin, as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast