Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    The new a7 bodies are still nowhere to be seen, but the Xperia 1 II that was announced today does 2k 10-bit 120fps and 4k 60fps, so I really can't imagine Sony keeping the a7 line 8-bit only, the next models must do 4k 60fps with a 10-bit codec.
    I see a lot of influence going the other way: the new phone takes 20fps stills, with exposure and AF calculations working at 60fps as they do on the a9, and it has dual pixel PDAF with eye-detect for humans and animals.
    And there's a pro version with HDMI-in so you can use it as a field monitor.

2. Collapse Details
    But the pixel count is pretty low for photos - only 12 MPX. Which is strange because Sony makes IMX 686, a 64 MPX sensor for others.

Of course, there's a possibility that 12 MPX is a quad-Bayer CFA that goes up to 48 but I have not seen it mentioned in any releases so far.

And while 4K is good, Samsung's latest is 8K, with both companies pricing their higher end models very close to one another. And Samsung is clearly marketing its offerings as 108 MPX and 8K.

I find the above quite curious. Sony ships more sensors. Samsung ships way more phones.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    As long as you can live with the 30 minute single clip limit. ( I shoot long form live events from time to time, so a 30 minute cut-off would not work for me )
    Bingo. I need to be able to record over 2 hours of continuous footage. If the 1DX Mark III didn't have the 30 minute video recording limit, I would have already ordered two of them.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    But the pixel count is pretty low for photos - only 12 MPX. Which is strange because Sony makes IMX 686, a 64 MPX sensor for others.
    12 Mpix is plenty for a phone, and in any case the spec I always look for in phones is sensor size. This one is 1/1.7", so I think pics are going to look great.
    It's nice to see them not obsessing over resolution: I don't need 8k for anything, but I definitely want 4k 60fps, even on a phone.

5. Collapse Details
    12 MP is reasonable for the FB/IG type photos but Samsung offers a lot more for the same price (at worst, it's the same neighborhood). Plus, Sony lacks zoom, so if it is trying to climb out of the cellphone cellar, it's doing it the wrong way.

It's 2020. It's like a car manufacturer trying to offer a luxury model with a 180 hp engine, a 3-speed automatic transmission, live rear axle and the torsion-bar suspension. It might be a decent enough ride but no one is going to buy it.

6. Collapse Details
    So, no new Sony products on the horizon, except recently released 20mm prime.

One would think that exciting new models help in a declining industry. CIPA just put out the January numbers and they're 19% off 2019, projecting to somewhere around 6.5 million total units shipped in the ILC market for 2020.

7. Collapse Details
    There’s some chance Sony has some supply chain issues, as will just about every other major electronics manufacturer for the next several months. I wouldn’t bank on many new product announcements for a spell.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

8. Collapse Details
    They may claim supply chain issues are slowing down announcements and shipments, but everybody else is pushing forward and they are not. Fuji just announced the XT-4, which is their second generation of 4k60 10-bit <$2k bodies. Panasonic has had 4k 10-bit since what feels like forever (the GH4 only had it when recording externally, but that's a 2014 model). Meanwhile, Sony has fallen on the Canon bandwagon: big market share because they were great at some point, and basically no improvement for years, which makes many demanding customers go elsewhere.
    Personally, I've bought four Sony bodies in the last six years, but right now I don't use Sony for video, because it's so far behind what my p4k can offer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234