Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    PS. One could almost predict camera specs from two variables - the availability of Sony's sensors and the feature sets of competing cameras in the same price range.
    Competitors are building 4K 10-bit cameras using Sony sensors, but to date Sony hasn't made any hybrid FF cameras with this ability, and looks to be protecting their higher end cine camera line.

2. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    What about all of the rumors last year that there will never be an A7 SIII ?
    And the year before that when rumors were saying that the A7SIII would be released any minute now...

and doesn't the S1H do some kind of crop too in most frame rates/codecs ?
    Only when shooting 4K 60p, which is a Super35 crop. ( you also have the option of shooting almost all frame rates/CODECs in FF or Super35 )

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    Competitors are building 4K 10-bit cameras using Sony sensors, but to date Sony hasn't made any hybrid FF cameras with this ability, and looks to be protecting their higher end cine camera line.
    Three-four grand between A7III and FS-5 is too big of a gap to really matter.

As I had mentioned yesterday visavis 1D XMKIII, that is one example where the feature set/performance can cannibalize the sales of the similarly priced cine style models such as C200 or even C500 MKII.* But that's because 1D XMKIII is loaded.

*OK, 1D XMKIII is not really in the C500 MKII range or class. Still 5.9K Raw w/DPAF is a pretty impressive feat for $6,500 in 2020.

4. Collapse Details

As I had mentioned yesterday visavis 1D XMKIII, that is one example where the feature set/performance can cannibalize the sales of the similarly priced cine style models such as C200 or even C500 MKII.* But that's because 1D XMKIII is loaded.

*OK, 1D XMKIII is not really in the C500 MKII range or class. Still 5.9K Raw w/DPAF is a pretty impressive feat for $6,500 in 2020.
    DSLR form factor gives me nightmares though. Shot an Ultra Marathon last Spring, on the road in Florida for a week with just two X-T3s. No thanks. They worked just fine but in the ultimate run & gun situation, in and out of the support vehicles every five minutes, ever changing sun so constant juggling of ND filters and just the awkwardness of handholding the cage rig with a bunch of crap hanging off of it, that solidified it for me, mirrorless DSLRs are for gimbal or lock off but for running around in extreme conditions, a 1DX MKIII would pale in comparison to the C200.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 01-20-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Cool
    But the FS5 doesn't shoot 4K 10-bit, only 4K 8-bit.

You have to move up to the FS7 Mk2 to shoot 4k 10-bit. ( the Mk1 is now discontinued )

So the difference is $7,000 between the A7III and the FS7 Mk2, enough to buy a total of 4.5 A7III cameras.

Still 5.9K Raw w/DPAF is a pretty impressive feat for $6,500 in 2020.
    As long as you can live with the 30 minute single clip limit. ( I shoot long form live events from time to time, so a 30 minute cut-off would not work for me )

6. Collapse Details
    DSLR form factor gives me nightmares though...
    Which means you have to rig it ... which creates its own set of problems, naturally. But everything has some form of a trade-off.

In any case, as we're talking about 8-bit vs. 10-bit and 4K vs. 5K, some Samsung Galaxy 20 specs are leaking. Including the branding. The outgoing model was 10 but the new one did not go up to 11. That's right. It's loudest smartphone in the world because it goes up to 20. The top model will also have a 108 MPX main camera, another with a 10x zoom and 8K video. Well, Samsung does have a bunch of 8K sets to sell. The official reveal is on February, 11.

And the lines to the photo-video stores have just gotten a lot shorter. Lots of parking available.

7. Collapse Details
    Which means you have to rig it ... which creates its own set of problems, naturally. But everything has some form of a trade-off.

In any case, as we're talking about 8-bit vs. 10-bit and 4K vs. 5K, some Samsung Galaxy 20 specs are leaking. Including the branding. The outgoing model was 10 but the new one did not go up to 11. That's right. It's loudest smartphone in the world because it goes up to 20. The top model will also have a 108 MPX main camera, another with a 10x zoom and 8K video. Well, Samsung does have a bunch of 8K sets to sell. The official reveal is on February, 11.

And the lines to the photo-video stores have just gotten a lot shorter. Lots of parking available.
    That's ok, my shallow depth of field means I can't see what the competition is doing anyway.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Now I can see a smart phone-TV connection...

9. Collapse Details
    Sony is starting a "major" trade-in program that runs through the end of March.

Clearing inventory, one assumes.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, that's what I've done with the X-T3. Cage, battery grip, side handle, top handle, cable clamp, mic on top, Shinobi monitor.
    The weight isn't bad but ergonomically, ugh.

Then again, rigging the C200 for shoulder mounted shooting is no joy either. Just bought
    the Zacuto top plate and Recoil handle, will eventually pick up the Axis Mini Mount and will try the C200 EVF Loupe thing.
    I'd rather get the Kameleon or Graticle but I find it's easier to utilize the LCD because of it's camera control buttons and joystick.
    Contrary to trends, I still shoot with my C200 quite a bit shoulder mounted. Shoulder mounting gives me shots that are difficult to get cradled, although vice versa.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123