Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    According to SAR these are not even rumors, just guesses based on some sensors Sony's sensor division has made available which may have nothing to do with the A7 line whatsoever.

I'm not singling out Sony here, and I'm not the first one in the thread to mention that Sony wants to sell these same people televisions, but I just don't see a non-pro-cine camera from any of the big three ever shooting video in a resolution that isn't on the box of the latest flat screens. "4.8K"?! They won't even give us DCI 4K, folks. That spec in particular screams "somebody got this off the tech specs for a sensor offering, but nobody who buys this sensor, unless it trickles down to Blackmagic in 5 years, is going to actually implement this mode."

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Saxon View Post
    According to SAR these are not even rumors, just guesses based on some sensors Sony's sensor division has made available which may have nothing to do with the A7 line whatsoever....
    Similar "expectations" appeared on other (unmentionable) sites. CP+ is in February and should see A7IV making an appearance. A7SIV will likely come out a bit later on, could be the NAB in late April, could be PhotoKina in late May. I'd say the NAB is more likely.

PS. Sony holds 7% of the global TV market (total shipments somewhere around quarter bill units annually), so it's making its cameras for the sake of making money off cameras. Samsung is the global TV leader with 20% and it's out of the stand-alone camera business altogether.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    PS. Sony holds 7% of the global TV market (total shipments somewhere around quarter bill units annually), so it's making its cameras for the sake of making money off cameras. Samsung is the global TV leader with 20% and it's out of the stand-alone camera business altogether.
    Yeah, I was just joking about the TV sales part of it. The other of the big three I mention don't even make TVs, of course. I think it's more the sophistication of intended audience; they see these cameras as for serious photographers who are *not* serious videographers/cinematographers. Sony and Canon, that's because they want videographers/cinematographers to spend much much much more money, Nikon it's because in a variety of ways they're happy to just live in 1967 [I say this as a loyal Nikon user]. I'm going to be very shocked if we see a non-television-or-YouTube-deliverable resolution in any camera in this form factor from anyone except Panasonic.

4. Collapse Details
    It's pretty clear to me that Sony delayed their A7S III because they felt that the specs were not enough of a revolution/evolution from the version II.
    What is interesting is that it really is not just about specs. In other words, a whole new sensor design could indeed provide a lower noise, higher DR image, while the basics of framerate etc, remain in the same territory. The problem is that most people expect that those will evolve forward as well. They don't see timproved image quality on paper, they only see numbers. That's a lot of expectations to live up to. Totally understandable to delay a product in that context.

5. Collapse Details
    These "rumors" are just wishful thinking and speculation by fanboys. And if they want to create hype, they don't seem to be very good at it: having 4k at 60fps only when using an APS-C crop, and at the same time having a 15 MPix sensor, would be a big disappointment, because it means the only way you get 4k60 is by upscaling from a 3K sensor readout. Ouch.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    These "rumors" are just wishful thinking and speculation by fanboys.
    +1

I will believe it once Sony finally has a hybrid camera on the market that can capture 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 with no recording limit. Sony has been ignoring this format since the GH5 first appeared three years ago. Maybe Sony will finally change things at NAB 2020 or Photokina 2020...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    It's pretty clear to me that Sony delayed their A7S III because they felt that the specs were not enough of a revolution/evolution from the version II...
    XT-3 specs would have done the trick, had SIII been released at the same time. Likewise, the same A7III sensor appeared in Z6, which now has 12-bit Raw out; S1, which has 10-bit 4:2:2 internal; and fp which has the internal 12-bit Raw DNG. And I won't even bring up BlackMagicDesign Pocket 4K and Pocket6K, which have the internal Blackmagic Raw. Which means that the engineering has nothing to do with Sony's marketing choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    These "rumors" are just wishful thinking and speculation by fanboys. And if they want to create hype, they don't seem to be very good at it: having 4k at 60fps only when using an APS-C crop, and at the same time having a 15 MPix sensor, would be a big disappointment, because it means the only way you get 4k60 is by upscaling from a 3K sensor readout. Ouch.
    It looks to be the Quad Bayer 15/60 MPX version that will work for stills and is enough for the 4K video. One has to assume that, in the 15 MPX mode, it will be a full sensor readout, while the 60 will have a center-crop. The resolution will be fine and this will stick with the S-series low light/high ISO performance legacy.

Of course, if A7IV has 10-bit ...

PS. One could almost predict camera specs from two variables - the availability of Sony's sensors and the feature sets of competing cameras in the same price range. The latter requires a process of elimination - if a competitors camera has X-features, then this won't have it and vice versa.

8. Collapse Details
    Side note Part Deux - if X-4 hits a certain performance target and neither A7IV nor A7SIV has it, then prospects for the last two will be bleak. And Sony is very unlikely to agree to that.

9. Collapse Details
    I do not get the whole $3,000 FF pro stills/video hybrid television connection. How many people who buy this level of camera actually equate their television purchase around marrying the two? Just does not add up for me.

10. Collapse Details
    What about all of the rumors last year that there will never be an A7 SIII?
    And yes, the upcoming Fuji X-T4 will still be S35 so the 4K 60p crop is still
    the same as the competition. The X-T3, EOS R are cropped all over the place in various modes
    and doesn't the S1H do some kind of crop too in most frame rates/codecs? (not up on my S1H specs).
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast