Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I always thought that C500 MKII would be perfect for making cat videos.

(I kid, I kid)
    Hey if Phillip bloom can do it with the Fx9, right? Funny, My girlfriend had been listening to me go on about this camera since launch, so I thought I'd try to get some shots of her kittens the first day as a present. They were having nothing of it. I'll need to try again.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Barry if you can closely replicate the other 2 cams, that would make a case that it's normal for the sensor. .
    Ha...well if you keep pushing any image it will eventually fall apart...here's that image pushed another stop or two...actualy I'm a little surprised at how little it's breaking up given where it started...but there's a streak! (hard to see with DVXUser ProGamma applied). Still, it's totally, absolutely normal.

Noise floor raised again.jpgNoise floor.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-21 at 11.10.55 AM copy.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    I should mention also - that I downloaded the test low light footage that Cinema5d posted here: https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-c500-...clip-download/ - And was not able to replicate the streaking. There were definitely some underexposed areas in those shots.

4. Collapse Details
    Well Barry you did achieve some streaks- especially on the cats (looks kind organic lol; j/k)!

In all seriousness, I'm sure those seeing this issue appreciate your effort to help solve. While you did surface some streaks with a bit of effort, it's fairly subtle compared to the other examples? It seems that the issue is strongest when there's very bright and very dark elements in a shot at the same time (high/max DR) and then the shadows are pulled up significantly in post.

Perhaps you guys can set up a similar test, with at least one clipping level light source and do the same tests on all the cameras, then compare results (Ideally you'd test in the exact same conditions). Perhaps use fixed ISO, F, shutter, peak brightness in scene (as shown on camera meter(s)), etc., then share footage.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf View Post
    I should mention also - that I downloaded the test low light footage that Cinema5d posted here: https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-c500-...clip-download/ - And was not able to replicate the streaking. There were definitely some underexposed areas in those shots.
    Actually I'm well acquainted with that footage, having produced the alternative grade of it that is posted in the comments of that site. So that footage is different than your case...all shot at higher ISO (something you'll remember I suggested as an option for you), and it's XFAVC, which means it should have less noise, and I think, given the subject matter is generally exposed rather well. There are two shots though, at the very end that are underexposed quite a bit. Increase the gain on them, and you will find various forms of streaking, some from smear, others are pattern noise. Nothing to write home about. The LUT, as always, tells all, those areas "should" be black based on where they are exposed.

c500 mark ii tests2.jpgc500 mark ii tests lut.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry G View Post
    Hey if Phillip bloom can do it with the Fx9, right? ...
    Phil shoots his cats with every camera he gets. I think one of the cats is even named 1D C. For unknown reasons.

Side note - if you want to use a quote feature, highlight the text and then click on the far right icon
    Like this.

If you want to keep the poster's screen name in it, copy and paste it with the post reference after it. There's probably some other way to do this but I haven't figured it out yet.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Phil shoots his cats with every camera he gets. I think one of the cats is even named 1D C. For unknown reasons.
    My first assisting job was for a photographer with a Jack Russell named Kodak (who replaced a previous model named Ilford), and a cockatoo named Agfa. Which tells you just about how old I am.

8. Collapse Details
    My first assisting job was for a photographer with a Jack Russell named Kodak (who replaced a previous model named Ilford), and a cockatoo named Agfa. Which tells you just about how old I am.
    If the bird was a Dodo we'd be asking if you have a Highlander sword lol.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Agfa (Aktiengesellschaft für Anilinfabrikation) was started in 1867 by the son of Felix Mendelsohn and a partner. During the 1920's, it was taken over by a united chemical conglomerate known as IG Farben (Interessengemeinschaft Farbenindustrie AG), effectively a state controlled cartel of BASF, Beyer, Hoechst, Agfa and others. Arguably, the 1930's Agfa color film was superior to any of its competitors and the German WWII color photos were of higher quality than any of the Allies (which were mosly in black and white anyway). After the war, Agfa film patents were appropriated as "compensation".

BASF/AEG reel-to-reel tape recorder (Magnetophon) was similarly exported. It was then modded by Ampex in the US as Ampex20a and changed the face of radio.

Not a professional historian. Just play one on DVXU.

10. Collapse Details
    -[I]----Fix pattern noise is generally not something that can be cleaned up in post. Take a look at the Fs7 xyla chart below and you'll see some streaking and plenty of fixed noise
    Yes I've seen that Xyla chart before Barry. What you are showing is not the whole picture though. The original below shows three cameras were compared and the third one was the C300 Mark II where you see broad band dark streaking starting to appear at least 1.5 to 2.5 stops prior to the end of the red line denoting usable range. Worse than the FS7 even. I just hope the 500 II is not going to exhibit the low end streaking that quite a few C300 Mark II users have mentioned. Time will tell I guess.

Chris Young

dynamic-range-C300-mark-ii-vs-fs7-vs-alexa_B.jpg

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast