Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    But your biggest problem will be that you will not be too happy with the high iso RAW image without some post noise reduction. I've gotten useable images out of the C300 MKII at 12,800, but it is only with some added NR set in camera.
    It’s not a problem. I know I won’t have a noise free image at 6400-12800 ISO, but sometimes doing run n gun doc shooting you need that extra boost just to get the shot.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

2. Collapse Details
    Eric, like I told you before, you know that you don’t HAVE to comment on every post? Especially if it’s gonna be a sarcastic comment. You sure seem to have a lot of time on your hands to comment as you do.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_EX View Post
    Itís not a problem. I know I wonít have a noise free image at 6400-12800 ISO, but sometimes doing run n gun doc shooting you need that extra boost just to get the shot.
    Guess I'm a video noise snob, I never shoot over ISO2500, but I don't do events or weddings. ISO 12,800 looks terrible on all cameras, even the FF A7s as far as I've experienced. If my image I am shooting needs more than ISO 2500, time to light it, or go home ;-)
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Guess I'm a video noise snob, I never shoot over ISO2500, but I don't do events or weddings. ISO 12,800 looks terrible on all cameras, even the FF A7s as far as I've experienced. If my image I am shooting needs more than ISO 2500, time to light it, or go home ;-)
    I usually shoot between 400 and 1600 ISO. But sometimes in run n gun situation you just can’t add lights, you just have to get the shot. Might be that we don’t do the same kind of work.
    For example, I was filming a music performer and I had to film her backstage but no lights were allowed. We had to follow her in very dark corridors. It’s the kind of situation that it’s better to have a noisy image with good sound than nothing at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Off early reviews, 1D X MKIII looks to have a really good performance in low light.

6. Collapse Details
    Eric, like I told you before, you know that you donít HAVE to comment on every post? Especially if itís gonna be a sarcastic comment. You sure seem to have a lot of time on your hands to comment as you do.
    I think he's missing Amadou and his FS7 rants, raves and blunders! That was a strange time on the forum, 8 threads all started by Amadou, sometimes the same topic.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Yes sounds pretty snobby to me, there's plenty of real documentary situations that aren't 'events or weddings' where you can't just set up lights every time your subject moves out of the spotlight

8. Collapse Details
    It’s not a problem. I know I won’t have a noise free image at 6400-12800 ISO, but sometimes doing run n gun doc shooting you need that extra boost just to get the shot.
    I forgot that you can't actually crank the ISO on the Blackmagic. I will shoot a decently lit scene at 6400 on a C300 MKII and not feel so bad. At 12,500, the image starts to fall apart in an obvious way even at 1080p. But it is useable if you want it. This is with the in built noise reduction on the C300 MKII, though. In RAW, you see noise at 800 ISO. My guess is that you would just start using the internal recording at the high ISO so that you didn't have to do as much work in post with noise reduction.

Also, in case you didn't know, the C300 MK II RAW is 10bit.

9. Collapse Details
    Eric, like I told you before, you know that you don’t HAVE to comment on every post? Especially if it’s gonna be a sarcastic comment. You sure seem to have a lot of time on your hands to comment as you do.
    Honestly, I laughed at the pictures. It did take me a bit to realize that he had associated "G2" with Sennheiser. I guess I've been around Black Magic folks long enough to picture the camera. Also, Sennheiser is all the way up to G4 now so those G2's are really obsolete equipment.

10. Collapse Details
    I usually shoot between 400 and 1600 ISO. But sometimes in run n gun situation you just can’t add lights, you just have to get the shot. Might be that we don’t do the same kind of work.
    For example, I was filming a music performer and I had to film her backstage but no lights were allowed. We had to follow her in very dark corridors. It’s the kind of situation that it’s better to have a noisy image with good sound than nothing at all.
    Of course, it depends on your work. I was shooting BTS on a TV series in Africa and the outdoor scene at night was being blocked with the director as she gave talent notes and direction. It was just a few seconds before camera rolled
    and the scene begins in the dark with an group of soliders staging a surprise raid on a farmhouse where the talent is hiding. I had a wireless hop from production sound so I could hear the director and talent in a huddle but we were in the
    country in the middle of nowhere so no ambient light. My scene of all of this happening basically was unlit save for a cell phone screen. So I cranked up to ISO 6400 and shot it. It looks like crap, even with Neat Video but it's a good little
    scene so I get it.

I just hate shooting at high ISOs and avoid it whenever possible. If you have to crank it, you do, but even with NR, high ISOs have lack of color, color smear, images are soft even when in focus, etc. Garbage in, garbage out.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast