Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. Collapse Details
    C300 mkii in 2020...with BRAW
    Hi,

I was wondering what are you thoughts on having/buying a C300 mkii in 2020, especially now that we will be able to record BRAW with the BMD Video Assist HDR.
    I own a C100 and a Ursa mini pro G2 (for sale) and I have to say that I love working with BRAW. Itís fantastic!
    I do a lot of interviews for docs and corporate stuff as well and some run n gun.

I will need in the next year or 2 a camera that will be able to shoot up to 12 800 ISO (not often, but it will open when shooting docs). Slow motion is not something that I will need often. This is pretty much the only feature that is lacking in the C300 mkii. I kinda need autofocus when I am alone interviewing someone.
    I am not considering the C200 because of the codecs. Donít want 420 8 bit nor RAW lite. BRAW is much more efficient and the C300 mkii has already some good codec options built in.

What do you guys think?
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

2. Collapse Details
    New or used?

3. Collapse Details
    I like to buy new but always open to buy used if it’s a good deal.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

4. Collapse Details
    C300 Mark II prints money for me. I was thinking about investing in a money printer but due to the legalities I decided to stick with the C300 Mark II instead.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    C400 (or C300 MKIII) might be announced at the NAB, so I wouldn't buy MKII new.

Buying a used one may be worth it. Then, push comes to shove, you should be able to resell it later without taking too much of a haircut.

I'd also consider 1D X MKIII, as it might work for your style of shooting. The ergonomics are not so great but the overall value seems decent. (full video reviews aren't out yet)

6. Collapse Details
    Not to hijack your thread but curious why you're selling the G2 and considering a C300mkii instead? I only ask because I was curious about the G2 for a while as an upgrade from my C300mkii, and checked it out at a store here in Toronto. I found some aspects of build quality and QA problematic, I didnt feel like it would withstand serious outdoor documentary work (esp. in Canada). Otherwise the specs are great, and the price is right. In the end I'm leaning towards a C500mkii in the next few months.

Anyways sorry this is off-topic, just noticed the G2 and thought I'd chime in!
    The World Is Made
    Of The Stories We Tell.

Documentary + Commercial
    Sean Stiller / Toronto, Vancouver

7. Collapse Details
    Like I said in my original post, I will need, for the next year or two, a camera capable of shooting at relatively high ISO(6400-12800). This is something the G2 can’t do. Also, autofocus during interviews would be welcome.

8. Collapse Details
    I have a G3, but you could do all this with the older G2 as well. What I do is I have a Zacuto VCT plate with a Kessler Kwik release plate on top, then I mount a Canon 15.5-47 with a Zacuto lens support, and use masking tape to secure it in place. I then plug a Countryman B6 microphone into the back of the Canon lens, using masking tape to secure the cable and lens cap in place. Then I mount the G3 transmitter to the back of the Zacuto, put an Atomos Ninja star video recorder on top of the transmitter, secure it with masking tape, and put the G3 receiver on the Zacuto as well, also secured with masking tape. I then plug the receiver into the Ninja Star. The transmitter then transmits to the receiver which is plugged into the Ninja Star which records the video.

As for how it's done, what happens is the Countryman B6 picks up noise vibrations which are amplified by the Canon cinema lens, and through AI in the Ninja Star it converts it to colorized video signals. Like how Daredevil works. The best part about this, regarding Doug's need for low light, is you don't need any light whatsoever to get a video image.

Photos of my setup below.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Eliminate the camera, I can see the logic of this setup. Cameras are a PITA!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    But your biggest problem will be that you will not be too happy with the high iso RAW image without some post noise reduction. I've gotten useable images out of the C300 MKII at 12,800, but it is only with some added NR set in camera.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast